PDA

View Full Version : What's your thoughts about the GLoom Warranty?

billy b
06-10-2013, 11:21 AM
I busted 2 rods ... trying to yank loose from snags with 2-4 test line. The rep explained that it costs $20 processing + my shipping costs and if they don't approve I get a replacement ( if they still make it) for half price.

Other option is $100 each shipped to me now ... (2-3 days) and I must return the broken 2 within 30 days

The rep said they consider how old the rod is ... whether there was undue stress ... or an area that I may have weakened it ... etc. The rods get put under a microscope

Seems like maybe the $100 each is the safe way to go ... even though I think the rod should not have broken ... but rather the 2-4 pound line

Anybody had any experience going the warranty way?

THANKS MUCHO

seal
06-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Sounds to me like you weren't pulling straight back to break the line, in my mind that would be your bad, don't do that!

goose2foru
06-10-2013, 11:51 AM
This is the reason I buy all of my rods from a local tackle shop. I have broken a loomis before and was handed a new one over the counter with no questions asked I think that I had to pay $50.oo . I thought that loomis went to a $100 replacement fee on all rods except the nrx? I have also broken well, my girlfriend 2 shimano cumulus rods completely her fault, and when I purchased them they where pretty pricey and I was handed brand new ones over the counter for free at Richards no hassle or questions at all. This is the reason that I will always try and purchase a shimano product, and from a local shop to build a relationship with the shop.

billy b
06-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Sounds to me like you weren't pulling straight back to break the line, in my mind that would be your bad, don't do that!

You're exactly right ... I was trying to pop the line loose ... and thought that 2-4 pound line would break before the rod did. I know to point the rod straight at the snag ... or pull the line with my nand rather than the rod ...
I still wonder why the line didn't break first ???

billy b
06-10-2013, 01:01 PM
This is the reason I buy all of my rods from a local tackle shop. I have broken a loomis before and was handed a new one over the counter with no questions asked I think that I had to pay $50.oo . I thought that loomis went to a $100 replacement fee on all rods except the nrx? I have also broken well, my girlfriend 2 shimano cumulus rods completely her fault, and when I purchased them they where pretty pricey and I was handed brand new ones over the counter for free at Richards no hassle or questions at all. This is the reason that I will always try and purchase a shimano product, and from a local shop to build a relationship with the shop.

I like your line of thinking ... I bought about a dozen GLooms locally when I lived in the LA area ... now in Northern Nevada ... they may ask, "Who's G Loomis?" (lol)

jaggerbub
06-10-2013, 01:16 PM
I used to buy gloomis exclusively because of the warranty. It used to be $50 replaced but now it's gone up to $100. The only time I buy a new loomis rod now is when they come with a wild card for a free replacement. Fortunately I've only had to replace one rod through the warranty program. It was an accidental break from a car door. It was better for me to pay 100 for a $250 rod. I was kinda upset at the time because I bought the rod before Shimano took over when the warranty said $50 replaced by gloomis. Oh well....

Cadillyak
06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Just curious as too what brand of line you were using. I know izoline is pretty tough, even in the 2-4lb range.

billy b
06-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Izor line on one ... and PClear on the other

shinbob
06-11-2013, 07:48 AM
You're exactly right ... I was trying to pop the line loose ... and thought that 2-4 pound line would break before the rod did. I know to point the rod straight at the snag ... or pull the line with my nand rather than the rod ...
I still wonder why the line didn't break first ???

Which rod was it? With the newer high-modulus, high-strain-rate graphite rods, they can make the blank walls a lot thinner to save weight. That makes them more susceptible to breaking due to very small, almost microscopic, amounts of damage.

I broke a G Loomis fly rod once just by trying to throw out a long cast. I probably hit it with a bead-head or something a while back, which damaged it just enough to start a tiny fracture, that subsequent casts caused to grow. At least, that's what the guy at the shop said. Thank goodness for the warranty!

billy b
06-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Which rod was it? With the newer high-modulus, high-strain-rate graphite rods, they can make the blank walls a lot thinner to save weight. That makes them more susceptible to breaking due to very small, almost microscopic, amounts of damage.

I broke a G Loomis fly rod once just by trying to throw out a long cast. I probably hit it with a bead-head or something a while back, which damaged it just enough to start a tiny fracture, that subsequent casts caused to grow. At least, that's what the guy at the shop said. Thank goodness for the warranty!

Did you get a free rod and how much did you pay? Or did you just pay the $50/100 tab?

I think I must have subtly damaged the rods along the way ... I'd be real disappointed in them just breaking

E man
06-12-2013, 07:29 PM
The $50 & $100 fee to which you guys refer to is not a warranty. It's a service called the Xpeditor program. It's a no questions asked service for people who wanted to get the rod right away. The warranty is when you ship the rod back to them first for evaluation. They raised the price to $100 because too many people were taking advantage of the program. Needless to say I didn't like the price increase & sold most of my Loomis & now fish mainly Dobyns or Phenix rods.

billy b
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
The $50 & $100 fee to which you guys refer to is not a warranty. It's a service called the Xpeditor program. It's a no questions asked service for people who wanted to get the rod right away. The warranty is when you ship the rod back to them first for evaluation. They raised the price to $100 because too many people were taking advantage of the program. Needless to say I didn't like the price increase & sold most of my Loomis & now fish mainly Dobyns or Phenix rods.

Exactly ... with an add ... they ship right away and then you have 30 days to return the old rods ... or be billed full price

Is the warranty better on Dobyns and Phenix?

E man
06-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Exactly ... with an add ... they ship right away and then you have 30 days to return the old rods ... or be billed full price

Is the warranty better on Dobyns and Phenix?

They have a no hassle no questions asked warranty for $60 and $50 respectively

formosa
06-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Warranty for Phenix Rods.

http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=16