PDA

View Full Version : DVL this past Saturday..6-8

Pete Marino
06-10-2013, 10:53 AM
So I hadnt been to DVL in over a month and a half because Ive been having too much fun at Perris lately. The algea bloom drove me away because I hate fishing in the muck when there are better bites going on else where. But this past Saturday was my ABA tournament so Me and my team partner showed up not knowing what was in store for us. I didnt know whether the water would be disgusting with thick algea or if we'd even get a bite.
My plan for the day was to have Barry throw his swimbait for the 1st 2 hours and I was going to throw a plethora of baits which included a topwater, a blade, a soft jerkbait, a swimbait and a finesse bait. I actually hate having that many rods on my deck but like I said, I hadnt been there for a long while so I wasnt sure what theyd want.
So we get to our 1st spot and Barry starts firing the swimbait and I opt for the topwater......within minutes Barry has an absolute giant swurl hard on his swimbait towards the surface near the boat but It doesnt take the bait... That bass was over 8 lbs... we continue on along our 200 yard starting spot..then we turn around and come back...barry is still firing his swimbait... Im now throwing a blade.. We work the length of the spot and we turn around once again.. "I know there are giants in this area", I say. So we start a new pass.. Then SMACK..Barrys swimbait gets Hit but the bass doesnt hookup...grrrrr:mad:... Thats twice now and no hookups..I make another change...this time to the fluke.. I figured smaller bait might get eaten easier... so we continue down the stretch.. I make a cast and smack!! Im on.. and I swing a nonkeeper into the boat..:Rolls Eyes: "Thats the bite I get?", I say.. Then i fire out another cast with the fluke...twitch twitch..pause..twitch twitch..SLAMMM... Im on and its a good one!!! I work the bass to deeper water and it surges...then I have it near the surface and it jumps.. ITS A GIANT!!! Then it surges again another 20 ft down..Finally i get it turned and facing up and I lead it straight into the waiting net...BOOOM BABY!!! We didnt weigh it but I say its somewhere between 7-8lbs.. My hands were shaking because we really needed that fish in the well. I take a 2 minute break to retie and to clam myself down..hahaha. Then I fire out another cast with the fluke.. and I get hit..Im on again and Barry nets another keeper..not a giant but a keeper... We continue down the bank and I caught 4 more keepers on the fluke... The bite then slowed down and I say we're gonna move after the next cast..but of coarse I catch another one on that cast but it didnt help so we still make a move.
We head to our next area and I continue to throw the fluke with no more bites so i start to change it up again. We worked a LONNGG stretch for nothing.. another move is in order.. Then we hit our next spot and we catch like 10 bass but non of them kept..:mad::mad:
Then I say...its time to bounce around...so we hit like 4-5 other areas and although we were catching bass, non of them helped us. Finally we ended the day on our starting spot and worked it hard until it was time to come in.... Nothing else would bite though.
I was happy to see the water was pretty decent.. the eastern part of the lake is algea free and the western part of the lake had some algea bloom but it wasnt too bad...definetly fishable .
So we head into the weighins...

We weighed our fish and my big bass weighed 7.40lbs and our total limit weighed 17.80lbs.. Which was all good enough for 3rd place in the tournament and my bass was the Biggest bass of the tournament.:Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:

We caught about 25 bass... on flukes, frogs, spinnerbaits and plastics...

Here are some pics from the day..

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/4563_bf1.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/TeamMarino/media/4563_bf1.jpg.html)

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/4563_3rd.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/TeamMarino/media/4563_3rd.jpg.html)

The water at DVL is definetly cleaner then it was a month and a half ago and there are fish to be caught...

Pete:Cool:

Stormcrow
06-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Way to go Pete. Love reading your stories. Congrats man!!!

TroutOnly
06-11-2013, 06:47 AM
PROPS BASS SLAYER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

Pete Marino
06-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks boys!!!!

Pete