PDA

View Full Version : Striperfest 2013 - Thanks for Making My 8 Yr Old's Day

MustHuntAndFish
06-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Set out for Striperfest at 5 AM and my kids wondered if they were up for fishing all day long plus sticking around for a get together with people they didn't know. 15 hours later we were headed home and they couldn't stop talking about all the fun and how they can't wait for the next one.

After stops at Gallions and McDonalds we exited Smokey Bear Rd and saw this...

Launched and were fishing by 7:15

Started off trolling the channel and spotted our first FNN celebrities! No... Not the Bako Boys... It was T.O. and Hardcor

Was tempted to follow them around the lake since my transducer is broken but I didn't want to be called a Bob follower. Cory has that name saved for Cutbait. Did a couple laps around the channel for no bites. We did spot some other FNN celebs though... M.O. And them THEE Bako Boys!

Trolled through Yellow Bar looking for a bait spot and saw the fleet. Didn't want to crowd anybody so we headed out to a point where I have had some luck before. That was the right decision... Set anchor and about ten min later Lil Genaro was getting bit and fish on!

Knew it had to be a kitty by the steady pulling but no head shakes. Well... It wasn't a Striper but the skunk was off of the boat and it was a nice fish.

A while later the stripers came along but we didn't do our part as we farmed 3 fish in about 10 minutes. One because I made the stupid move of grabbing Lil G's line to keep it away from the anchor rope. A nice fish too. He had to talk some sense into me as i was cussing and kicking stuff. He said don't worry dad... We're gonna catch more fish. He was right... After things slowed for a while, they picked back up and we didn't farm any more.

I got three in row... Then Lil G got a couple before Genna joined the party. Genna set the goal of winning the Banana Trophy and we thought she was in the running with a couple dinks she got.

It was a slow but steady pick for most of the day. Except for my wife... She just wasn't getting bit but that didn't bother her. She was having fun snapping all the pics.

In the afternoon thing slowed so we headed to Yellow Bar and baited down near the fleet. Didn't even get a bite so we went back to our original spot and picked up a few more. This time Dianna finally got one too.

After getting swamped by the lake lice a few times we headed in for the festivities with our catch.

I was a little reluctant about bringing the family to Striperfest since I didn't know anyone and knew it would pretty much all men out there. Well... They wanted to come and I'm glad they did. Everyone was so nice and went out of their way to make sure we were part of the fun. Introducing themselves and making us comfortable.

Cutbait... Creating a biggest kitty award when you saw the fish my son caught was first class... Giving him a free entrance and launch at the Mid... and Hardcor giving him a lure you made as the trophy!?!

That made his day (and mine) but the generosity didn't end there. Trail Blazer and Cutbait gave their raffle #s to my kids. Then Andrew gave my son his # in a trade for 1 U Rig carrying bag! This is all the stuff my kids came home with!

We didn't catch the biggest fish or stringer but we went home winners. My kids even got an autographed Bako Boys Sticker!:Cool:

Thank you guys for giving my kids a lesson in generosity. Kids remember days like this and will pay it forward someday.

Thanks to everyone who attended for the good times and laughs and congrats to the winners!

Thanks to Fishinone (Ron) for the filleting lesson.

Thanks to DK and Andrew for the pointers on tackle and trolling. I will take you up on the invite to go fishing together when I get a chance.

Thanks to those who made the great Striper tacos.

Thanks to T.O. for putting the event together. You are a class act and I will have to go out for a guided session with you soon.

cutbait
06-10-2013, 04:49 AM
You my friend have a great family. Taking them out there was the class act.

Your boys smile said it all. I want him bout at every one. Would love to see you guys on the water way before the next one.

I gotta say, it was cool of Tammy and Mark to put that sign up for us.. That made our day but to be honest we are still blushing from the attention

Andrew sent this to me.. haha.. Tell your boy he's going to be on YouTube. He better be ready for all the fame and fortune

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/IMG955577_zpsb03e3efe.jpg

Double A
06-10-2013, 07:08 AM
My fav part of these events is the early morning in line,
And the after fishing festivities, seeing all the old timers & throwing jabs at each other...
But, also meeting new faces that you've never seen before & making new fishing friends.

1st of all, thanks for the cold one, I was a little parched !!!

One of my fondest memories of this year's StriperFest was your little guys face.
How proud he was for the fish he & your family brought in.
How happy he looked grabbing piles of tackle from the raffle table.
And how awestruck he looked at meeting the legendary Bako Boys... oh brother

Like CB has already said, what an awesome family.
You did it right, building these memories with each other.
It was nice meeting you and your family, and hope to see you guys back on the water soon.

Hardcor
06-10-2013, 08:37 AM
You have a beautiful family ! In my opinion your kids helped make Striperfest this year !

I'm picking Genaro or Genna to be next years Champs !

Get them ready DAD !

Corey

trail blazer
06-10-2013, 12:21 PM
WOW,,Your kids smiles made it for me,,,,,,,as the father of 6 I can say that YOU are a great DAD,,,,,,,Kudos to you and your whole fam!

TRAIL BLAZER

MustHuntAndFish
06-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Andrew sent this to me.. haha.. Tell your boy he's going to be on YouTube. He better be ready for all the fame and fortune

CB... That's a good pic Andrew took! Lil Genaro already thinks he's a star... He caught he biggest catfish at Striperfest.

Double A... This won't be the last time we chat and have some cold ones.

And how awestruck he looked at meeting the legendary Bako Boys... oh brother

Haha... He was a little disappointed when none of his friends at school knew who these "Bako Boys" that he met are. I told him that his friends need to get out more and they just don't know what cool is... He agreed... Lol!

Cory and TB... I can't say enough about you guys and all the rest. My family and I were happy to have our fish weighed and just stay in he background and enjoy all that was going on but none of you guys were gonna let that happen. You made sure we took part in everything and everybody introduced themselves and chatted with us. It was nice talking with T.O. Double A, The Team 57 guys, Fishinone, DK. Andrew, Kahn, M.O., Razr, and everyone else. I don't know everybody's name yet but we talked with just about everyone and you were all great.

Cory... Can't wait for the full vid. The prelude is great.

dk4885
06-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Nice meeting you and the family and you have inspired me to bring my 6 year old son to the next event. Next time u r in Fresno hit us up we will hit up San Luis or the canals. Knowing me both same day. L

MustHuntAndFish
06-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Nice meeting you and the family and you have inspired me to bring my 6 year old son to the next event. Next time u r in Fresno hit us up we will hit up San Luis or the canals. Knowing me both same day. L

My family and I would love to meet your 6 year old... I'm sure we're not the only ones. It would be awesome if you (and others) brought out their little ones!

I'll definitely be hitting You n Andrew up for some fishing soon. I'll plan for a Saturday off so we can set something up.