PDA

View Full Version : Stripers on the Troll Holdover Slay session Skinner Sat 08JUN13

GdHkSet1
06-09-2013, 08:24 AM
After a busy month of all kinds of stuff going on, helping people move, graduations, goodbyes at airports- etc etc....managed to get away and actually fish on a saturday.

Took out my friend Dale from Temecula and his son-in-law Chris who is stationed on submarines in the U.S Navy on vacation to do some fishin at Lake Skinner yesterday. the ballon and wine festival was last weekend, and with the lake closed for boating we were hoping the fish were hungry! The morning troll bite was on for stripers, foggy, water glassy a little grass and boils popping here and there, stuck a couple on hardbaits -lousy visability up until 8am when the fog lifted. Surface water temps where from 71-74f, water clarity great. The best part of the trip was nailing "Holdovers" yes Holdovers in the summer! We were fishing deep with crawlers, and out of nowhere wham zzzzzzzzzzzzz, the streak continued up until noon. Dale had one took him under the boat, went airborne behind him about 15 feet, it looked like a solid 4 and it was gone. But he ended up with almost limit, the trout where cold and had thick shoulders. Couple of the males had DV jaws on them. It was a good day.

R/GDHKSET

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have
always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and
that is the path of surrender, or submission."
.... John F Kennedy

TroutOnly
06-09-2013, 10:52 AM
vince were you trolling crawlers ,or were you baiting, and either way thats interesting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,

GdHkSet1
06-09-2013, 01:36 PM
vince were you trolling crawlers ,or were you baiting, and either way thats interesting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,

Bob,
the trip was to troll for stripey until the sun comes around then bait down deep. even when the sun was out the boils where still happening
we picked off a couple of more small schoolies and settled out west. I guess my boat stunk cause there was NO ONE around us all day. Hell
started breaking loose mid morning when we threw the NC at them. I know theres a fatty holdover on the west end with a whole noghtcraler
hook and line in em the one dale lost.
Here's chris getting the money fish for the day: http://youtu.be/NJIUtzegJ24

P.A.W.
06-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Hey Vince I missed you out there somehow. Nice vid. No need to go real deep for stripers anymore. Mid lake 10-20 feet they are there.

Stalker Of Fish
06-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi were you just outside launch ramp #2 in your posted video ? Great job by the way! Nice to hear there are Trout biting this late in the year .

GdHkSet1
06-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi were you just outside launch ramp #2 in your posted video ? Great job by the way! Nice to hear there are Trout biting this late in the year .
Stalker, thanks. The kid stuck a good one, but the old timers got the numbers. We trolled that ramp #2 channel metered some fish but nothing, head beariing 270 until you can go no further and your there!

Geraldlim
06-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Nice job Vince! Any size to the stripers?

GdHkSet1
06-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Nice job Vince! Any size to the stripers?

Gerald, how are ya. Feisty little ones fun on light line they are busting on top
early. I heard some big ones are hitting on the other side of the hills. hope to
see ya out there been a while SKC3 is last weekend in Sep.

Take care.

TrouTracker
06-12-2013, 01:22 AM
To Vince- It's always great to get away and do a little trolling. Glad you had time to take a Warrior out on the water. Great job on the holdovers, kind of reminds me of the good ole holdover days at DVL. Those big shoulder holdovers have to eat just like us. I guess they couldn't resist your big fat crawler. Keep up the good work on the troll........

I really liked your JFK reference. My father was a huge supporter of JFK, and I've always loved his speeches.