PDA

View Full Version : 6/7 report

gokuguy
06-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Got a call from my pops saying he had the day off work so we headed out to irvine for some kitties. Got to the lake around 3, drove to the flats, and cast out some lines. 2 rods fly lined with mack / chicken liver, and 2 rods with 1 oz sinkers. Took about an hour to get bit on the bite on mac bites rigged on the 1 oz sinker rod. Had no more action so I decided to grab a rod, a tub of liver and go for a walk.

As I kept walking towards the back of the flats , saw about 25+ boats all crammed into the very end of the lake so I decided to walk over and see what was happening. Looked like it was WFO, someone reeling in a fat kittie everywhere you looked. Called my pops and told him to pack up the stuff and meet me down there. Tried to grab a spot on shore but it was lined with boats pretty much beached on the shoreline. Waited for my pops to join me and set out a few lines as I started scouting to see where I could go that I wouldn't be in the way of boats/lines.

Then much to everyones surprise/delight the patrol boat came out and announced that the boats couldn't be within 100 feet from shore. Waited till everyone cleared out and set up on the beach. 2 rods with chicken liver, 2 rods with bite on mac bites. Pretty much WFO for the next few hours till the sun set. Getting bites as fast as we could cast. Most of the action was actually just about 10-20 feet from shore. Seemed like the chicken liver and mac bites were pretty even...although i suspect it didn't matter what you threw out there today. Could have drawn a picture of a shrimp on a piece of paper and it would've been gobbled up. ;)

Had 1 really big guy give me a huge fight but it got unbuttoned a few feet out. The moss was killer along the shoreline.

Ended the day with 9 fish. Most of the fish being 4 to 7 pounds. Biggest one we caught was a 8 pound blue. I' really suck at distinguishing catfish, but it seemed most of our fish today were Blue catfish.

FKNChristopH
06-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Blue catfish have equal length jaws and channel catfish have an overbite. Glad you got out with your pops!

*shakka*

reelgurlzfish
06-08-2013, 06:52 PM
I plan on heading out there tomorrow. Never been to the vine for cats. Gonna be a huge difference that the 1-2 lb stockers at city lakes. I'm thinking of trying your idea of drawing the pic of the shrimp to see if they bite LOL Congrats on a good day :)

gokuguy
06-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Blue catfish have equal length jaws and channel catfish have an overbite. Glad you got out with your pops!

*shakka*

Ah, nice!! Thanks for the tip. I read somewhere to count the # of stripes on the back fin but no way in hell was I about to do that. :D

I plan on heading out there tomorrow. Never been to the vine for cats. Gonna be a huge difference that the 1-2 lb stockers at city lakes. I'm thinking of trying your idea of drawing the pic of the shrimp to see if they bite LOL Congrats on a good day :)

:D Good luck out there! This was my first time to the vine for cats as well, and man......These catfish give one hell of a fight. The one I lost felt like it was a 10+ pounder, felt a LOT stronger and heavier than the 8 lb blue. =/ Set your drag and keep those lines tight!! :D

P.s. just make sure to squirt some bite on on the picture and I'm sure you'll be just fine. ;)

etucker1959
06-08-2013, 10:10 PM

We were there Friday night also, we got a bunch till the lake pulled that crazy stunt of moving a whole fleet of boats. All the WFO fishing is in the back of the flats. If your going to fish on shore make the hike to get there it's worth it. If your in a boat try to work your way into a good position. Good Luck, these fish are huge by stocking standards.

gokuguy
06-09-2013, 12:59 AM
We were there Friday night also, we got a bunch till the lake pulled that crazy stunt of moving a whole fleet of boats. All the WFO fishing is in the back of the flats. If your going to fish on shore make the hike to get there it's worth it. If your in a boat try to work your way into a good position. Good Luck, these fish are huge by stocking standards.

The hike back with a stringer full of those beasts is the hard part.... =). And yeah, I didn't think the lake would move all them boats but you gotta admit it was pretty ridiculous for a while. Couldn't cast a line more than 4 feet because of all the boats/lines on the shoreline. Good times though, eh? The shoreline got packed later too...Spent a good while netting fish for people without a net and helping rig rods for some beginners. I almost broke my net with the weight of some of the catfish and the moss..lol.

reelgurlzfish
06-09-2013, 06:24 AM
I have good peeps that have showed me where to go but anyone who know me know a hike would be hard. I'm in line but I'm ready to catch a real fish over stockers size! Pics will be posted!

etucker1959
06-09-2013, 12:59 PM
The hike back with a stringer full of those beasts is the hard part.... =). And yeah, I didn't think the lake would move all them boats but you gotta admit it was pretty ridiculous for a while. Couldn't cast a line more than 4 feet because of all the boats/lines on the shoreline. Good times though, eh? The shoreline got packed later too...Spent a good while netting fish for people without a net and helping rig rods for some beginners. I almost broke my net with the weight of some of the catfish and the moss..lol.

I agree it was fun fun fun till the lake staff took our spot away. lol We were fishing 100 feet away from the shore but the lake staff still made us move. You do know, with the lake staff driving a pontoon boat right on top of the fish and dropping bouys, it did push the fish closer to the shore. Congrats on being one of the smarter ones to beach your boat and fish on the shoreline. We had already C&R about 25 of them so it didn't ruin our good time. Nice report again, we should try to fish for some park catfish together sometime.

gokuguy
06-09-2013, 03:33 PM
I agree it was fun fun fun till the lake staff took our spot away. lol We were fishing 100 feet away from the shore but the lake staff still made us move. You do know, with the lake staff driving a pontoon boat right on top of the fish and dropping bouys, it did push the fish closer to the shore. Congrats on being one of the smarter ones to beach your boat and fish on the shoreline. We had already C&R about 25 of them so it didn't ruin our good time. Nice report again, we should try to fish for some park catfish together sometime.

I'm totally down to do some park catfishing together, hit me up anytime. All the city park lakes should start going off now....put some nice filets in the freezer, now time for all C&R for the rest of the summer. =)

And I didn't have a boat... =) I had parked my car as far back as you could drive in the flats where the gate was closed. Than hiked the rest of the way. I didn't know that's where they had dumped the stocking but decided to hike and investigate since just about every boat on the lake was crammed in that corner.... :D Wish I had a boat for the trip back to the car though....lol

reelgurlzfish
06-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm totally down to do some park catfishing together, hit me up anytime. All the city park lakes should start going off now....put some nice filets in the freezer, now time for all C&R for the rest of the summer. =)

And I didn't have a boat... =) I had parked my car as far back as you could drive in the flats where the gate was closed. Than hiked the rest of the way. I didn't know that's where they had dumped the stocking but decided to hike and investigate since just about every boat on the lake was crammed in that corner.... :D Wish I had a boat for the trip back to the car though....lol

I had gone to the same spot on shore. Parked at the fence and walked all the way back. Absolutely no action! Tried a couple other spots. Skunked. Beautiful day out tho :)