PDA

View Full Version : Breaking new outboard in

lowe
06-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Do it realy take 10 hours to break your motor in? that's alot of driving around any suggestions on how to ... the manual is not really user friendly ...well I guess no time for fishing tommorow ..lo

DEVOREFLYER
06-07-2013, 06:46 PM
From my owners manual (Mercury 200HP Optimax).

1. For the first hour of operation, allow engine to warm up for 30-60 seconds.
Run the engine at varied throttle settings, the majority of the time between 3000 and 4500 RPM or three-quarter throttle. Change engine speed approximately every two minutes, and avoid continuous operation of the idle speed for more than ten minutes. Short burst of of full throttle for periods up to ten seconds are acceptable. Avoid trimming the outboard out (up) beyond a vertical position.
2. For the next three hours of operation, change engine speed every ten minutes.

Go online and check the motor manufacturers web site and you will find info there.

bassmeister
06-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Yeah the 10 hours is just taking it easy so all the parts can break in. Just don't try and win any races in the first hours of breaking in lol. And I'm sure that if you plan to run engine at home, that you have a water hose connector(like ear muffs) that cover the water inlet of the lower unit. NEVER start your engine without water being supplied to motor so you don't damage Impeller.

lowe
06-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the great info, DEVOREFLYER your are right on I also have a mercury outboard I have a 75hp well 10 hours it is ..lo

elfarolitojr03
06-08-2013, 12:33 AM
whatcha gonna do with the old motor?

lowe
06-08-2013, 05:56 PM
whatcha gonna do with the old motor?

I am selling it with my 15ft gregor ..lo

lowe
06-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Well went to castaic lake today to break in my motor, you talking about working too hard, man that's alot of work it was'nt so bad but borring. I have about 3 more hours to go, too many speed boats, jet skies,watter skies for me they push all the fishing into deep coves.

I mean they own the lake it was crazy wakes and swells where out of control, do they have certain areas for speeders is what I call them ..lo