PDA

View Full Version : About a 1/2" Short.... Story Of My Life

bbqsushi
06-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Greetings Kids. SWAT prospect Nate here with a weekend report. (because I FINALLY have something to report)

Long story short: I FINALLY landed a legal flattie from the sand. A first for me, and personal best! :Big Smile: (WOOO-FREAKING-HOOOO!!!) And even though it was juuuuust a 1/2" shy of an induction fish, it was points for the geriatrics!! :Thumbs Up:

Long story long:

Sunday June 2
AO: Classified
Tide: +1 Lowtide @ 11:30 +/- 1hr
Temp: Air 62/Water 64
Conditions: Wind from West @7kt, 2-4 swell @ 8-10 sec, Water clear, Weeds light
Gear: St Croix AVID 8'6" + Shimano Ci4 2500, 15lb Braid, 15lb Flouro tip, LC 110 Flashminnow W/ Bachiboy Series 1 Custom Paint (Thanks Don!!)

Much like Don and Ken, my monkeys are 4 and 5yrs old, so planning to go fishing for me, is first putting up the family (read:wife's) schedule, and comparing that calendar to the SoCal Tide chart, then cross-referencing the Swell Magnet surf report, Western Outdoor propaganda fish report, Dallas Rains weather report, and then going in to some prayer for low salad count. Getting a hall pass is the first hurdle, so if I can line up the first two charts, its ON! Having 3 or more is a planetary alignment. Fortunately, La Jefa had an event down in SD county this past weekend, so we traded kid duties, and I earned a Sunday outing. I got the AO intel from Don [Bachiboy] who had gotten it from the top brass. Don had also done some major damage at this spot last weekend. Problem was, that it was LOW tide spot, and low tide this past weekend was inconveniently midday. Bosslady gave the green light, and I'm on it!! I generously took the family "to the beach" on Saturday for a recon mission. The target, according to Bachi, is a boiler rock, that pokes its head out only at low tide. (JEEESUZ Don, you weren't kidding!! That sucker is 50yds out there!!). I mark it, and plan my attack for the next day.

Sunday, comes and I arrive an hour before low tide. Waders are not defiinitely NOT going to cut it on this mission. I busted out my wetsuit and made myself IPX7 rated. (submersible) If any of you have seen Wingnut fish, that dude goes all out, and he might as well go with scuba - this inspired me - I was going to go for it. I worked the spot for about 15min, diving under waves, and figuring out the timing of the intervals, when WHAM! A nice bite, but there's no weight to it. I quickly reel in what turns out to be a nice BSP around 12", but not what I was after. So I keep peppering that same area for the next 20 min. and now the tide is allowing me to cast out allllllmost out to the rock. Even at low tide, I actually had to swim several times, as surge pulled me in to the trough and the water is now about 6-8ft deep, way over head with waves coming in a annoyingly frequent intervals. So I'd swim back in till my feet can touch, jump up over the wave, cast and try to land back on the ledge. On this particular cast, I got pushed by a wave and it took a second for me to regain my footing, perhaps giving the lure a few seconds to settle. A few cranks later, BAM! I swing. Whoa!! This one's got the right head shake, and its got some weight to it!! YAH Baby!! I start walking backwards and after a few short minutes, got it through the skinny, and in to my hands as a few people gathered around to take a look. I tape it out at 25 1/2" Juuuuuust shy of being an induction, but I don't care - THIS was AWESOME!!! One of the bystanders asked if I was going to take him home, but I said, "no, this one was a gift, and I'm returning him home" And so I did. :Dancing Banana: Did the happy dance, geared back up, and stayed until I just couldn't cast out far enough, as the incoming tide pushed me back several yards. I was stoked. My first legal butt, Old-guy points, and personal best. A GREAT day.

I'm not a SWAT member yet, but I get it. Sharing knowledge was the key to catching this fish. Fishing with others, observing, learning, asking, BS-ing, is all a part of being at the right place, at the right time, with the right gear, and right techniques. Getting a hall pass from the Boss? Well, that's a whole different forum to read up on I suppose. Thanks for reading - pic below...

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Flattie1_zps1240592d.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Flattie1_zps1240592d.jpg.html)

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/BBQSushi/Flattie2_zpsda4dd7e2.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/BBQSushi/media/Flattie2_zpsda4dd7e2.jpg.html)

murrieta angler
06-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Nice looking flatty Nate!
The surge at that particular rock can get very strong at times.
It will move you 25 feet in a couple of seconds and then you are out of the zone!
Your induction fish is just around the corner. Lots of great fishing so far this year and ti will come soon enough.
Thanks for the points, now rub it in the kids faces...:Envious:
Have a Nice Day,
Robert
<><

skunked4life
06-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Sooo close Nate! Don was telling me about how little time you ever have to fish and I am super stoked that you had a productive outing! It is all about attitude buddy. You went out and decided that no matter what, you would succeed. It happened. Great job out there. Hopefully, we (you Don and I) can get together with the families so that we can fish and the kids have company...that is always my excuse to fish with my wifey and kids--call it what you may, bro-date, play-date, etc....

BTW- the wet suit looks like it was the right call. You look drenched.

SP Dan
06-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Hi ya Brotha Nate,

Nice fish Sir! :Thumbs Up:

Thanx for the fish report with pic!

SP Dan <"))><

bachiboy
06-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Glad you were out there in that wetsuit instead of trying to have a go at it with waders like you were thinking about doin.:Wink: Not sure if you know it, but that LC has brought you two key flatties. I gave that to you exactly a year ago when we went down there for last year's mud run. You caught your first surf flattie that day...even if it did flop off the hooks when we were about to photograph it.:LOL: Now it's got you a PB!:Dancing Banana: Not your induction fish but a great fish nonetheless. Time to retire it and paint up a new one! Go get a MS Anchovy and I'll bring my paints this Saturday to your place...or we can just steal some of Nori's.:Secret::whistle: I tried to buy you a hallpass for Saturday morning when I spoke to her yesterday but she wasn't having any of that.:Outta Here: Dang, not like I was planning to take you all the way back down there to "the rock".:whistle: How long do you think it would take to get there and back?:Twisted: Actually, I was pushing it by going as far south as I did this past weekend. Oh well, time to plan another family trip...quick, I got three weeks till D-day!:ROFL:

Way to go man!!! INCREDIBLY stoked for you!
Don

madbass
06-04-2013, 11:20 AM
That's so awesome!!! Congratulations in your first, PB and leagal butt!
I think it's a trifecta in its own right. The smile on your face says it all!
Thanks for the report and pictures!

Alex

PTN
06-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Congrats on your PB Nate! Only 1/2 inch short but by the time you do get that induction fish, it'll be all worth while. I'm happy the brothers' intel paid off for you and you didn't back down even though conditions weren't perfect for you.

-Peter

Homefish
06-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Nice fish! Congrats! But man, be careful out there. Sounds like a pretty dangerous position you had to put yourself into there to reach that fish.
Thanks 4 the report,
Homefish

Wingnut
06-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks for drawing first blood for the "Over the Hill Gang" Nate. :Envious:
I fished in a wet suit a few year back as an experiment and couldn't get comfortable in it. :Neutral:
Plus, with the way I wade I would look like a little Seal out there and don't want to become a snack to Mr. White. :Shocked: :LOL:
Keep up the good job out there soldier... your induction fish is out there waiting for you. :Big Grin:

Competition Update - As of 6/10/13
Team Veterans - 14 Points
Team Rookies - 3 Points

bloox8
06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Nice job out there Nate! Congratulations on your first and PB Halibut!
Sucks that it was barely short of your induction fish. Would've been sweet to get a PB and inducted at the same time. But its ok! I am sure if you continue the way you are, standing up to the big bad waves and everything, you'll get that induction fish soon.

I thought about giving the wetsuit a shot but the thing is I don't have a sturdy enough reel to handle the salt water.
I am sure it felt pretty nice not having to worry about getting smacked around by waves.

Thanks for the report

Thien

mis-placed_country_boy
06-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Awesome fish!

dlmoo312
06-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Congrats on the nice legal and PB flattie!!
You came prepared with a game plan and it all worked out perfectly :Big Grin:
SOo close to an induction fish... but you're on the right track and that fish is right around the corner!
Thanks for the report!

-Daniel