PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the bachi and skunk behind - Semi-S.W.A.T. Report 2 days (only one pic)

skunked4life
06-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Since I am not officially inducted yet, this is a semi-S.W.A.T. report.

AO: Top Secret
Gear: you know by now
Conditions: decent to rough at times, overcast and kelp beds in the distance

Prologue:

Bachi - meaning bad luck
Skunk - fishing slang for not having caught any fish; also means not scoring

One of the first pm's I ever sent/received was from Bachiboy (Don) and we have been trying to fish together for awhile now. Between the two of us, we have 3 kids (soon to be 4 - congrats Don), 2 wives, trips to Disneyland, work, kids' sports, and several other commitments. Having said that, getting together to fish is all about timing. Finally, the colonel and I had pretty much the same windows of opportunity to fish and as you all know by now, when a senior S.W.A.T. member calls, especially one that is on fire, I come a fishin'.

Chapter 1:

Don and I set up a time to fish a new AO. We were to meet at my place and get there by 6am because parking is not accessible until then. At 5:20ish, I hear the rumble of a small tank. I look out and it looks to be Don in his fish mobile/tank. We load up and off we go. Don hadn't fished at this AO for years and I have never fished there. Heck, this is the one spot that even the Commander himself hadn't fished before.

We arrived at quarter till 6 and got ready. We make the short walk to the beach and right behind us is a bucket brigade. Don says that we need to move to the first spot quick before we get walled in by the brigade. We make it down and first cast by both of us get hit but no commitment on either rod. We cast again and this time, I am on. A short but feisty fighter. It was a BSP, about 12 inches or so, not less though. I release and cast out again. ANother one. About 13 inches on this model. Don is getting hit left and right but no takers. Virtually EVERY cast got hits. I feel a nice little hit and am thinking that it is a small butt. Nope. Fair hooked leopard. It was about 12 to 13 inches. Don and I decide to move north.

While moving, we are casting and getting hit as if the AO was just recently stocked. Don manages a decent BSP and then a croaker...of course :LOL: We get to an area with decent kelp beds but they are way to far out for my little 7 foot rod to cast to. Don heaves his rod and on the retrieve...I see his rod go full on BENDO! I thought his rod would break for sure. Oh yeah, it was a fish. He fights it and gets it close but then I hear the battle cry (of defeat) and see his LC fly out of the water! :Sad: He casts again. This time it looks to be a smaller model but still puts up a good fight. Again, he pops off. :Shocked: What could it be? Don says the first one had head shakes and I am thinking big butt! Don, what a guy, says, Ken, cast in my spot for your induction fish! So I do and BAM! Yeah this one is big too! I crank twice and feel a huge head shake and then my LC pops off. Don looks at me shaking his head and we check our LCs. :Confused: Nothing wrong with our equipment. Oh well.

Don says lets keep moving. I follow suit. Then he brings in the first of many Calicos! This one was about 13 inches. He casts again and hooks up another. Modest Don says another small one, but I knew that it is at least legal. It taped out at 14 inches. Long story short, it was WFO calico for Don from this point. He lost quite a few but the action was soooo hot!

Don tells me to jump ahead of him. Are these some kind of Jedi mind tricks? So I do and I am on like Donkey Kong - with perch though. NONE under 12 inches. Then, the unthinkable. I step sideways into a hole and become submersed to the neck in water. UGH!!!!! I saved my reel somewhat but I feel embarrassed:Embarrassed: I decide to give up. We only had 15 minutes left to fish. Don yells at me (quite politely though) HEY KEN, ONLY 15 MINUTES IS WHAT I SAID WHEN I CAUGHT MY 30 plus inch HALIBUT LAST WEEKEND. KEEP CASTING. Ok Don, I continue to cast and my final three casts, perch, perch and perch. 12, 13 and 13.75 inches...a quarter inch short of an induction fish. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

I checked my phone and it was toast. Hence, no pictures from me.

We called it a day.

Final Count:

Don - 3 BSP (all 12 plus inches), 2 YFC (not measured), 6 or so Calico (all 12 inches or bigger) and I think a sandie? My count may be off.
Ken - 1 leopard (12 inches) and 9 BSP (all 12 and 13 inch models).

We got hit on nearly every cast though.

Chapter 2:

only about 2 hours after having dropped me off, Don tries to get a hold of me. I don't have a phone so I text Don that I am on my wife's phone. He texts me on wifey's phone that he got another Hall Pass and wants to go fishing again. Where? Same place. Ok Don.

Sunday morning, about 5am, Don pulls up to get me. It looks like someone followed Don. Could it be the cops? No, behind the headlights was the familiar car of the Commander! Oh, so you want to poach our new spot and show us up huh? ALrighty, let's do this!

We get there and begin fishing immediately. Don let's me use his 8.6 rod so that I can get in on some calico action. WOW, seriously, nothing but love for you brother! Things felt different today though. The bite was not as hot. Arthur hooks up on one of his first csts with a YFC. The seniors were getting on croaker and perch but poor me got nothing. I see that Arthur makes the aggressive push forward while Don is casting to one of the far kelp beds. I see him on a fish (maybe Sandie?) and then I make a bone head move and get rolled. Hit my knee pretty hard on the fall down and my reel doesn't crank. It got dunked. Oh S#!t ...not my wife's phone too! THe phone was okay. My waders were better than ok - they kept me nearly completely dry! Ugh. I tell Don that I am heading back to sulk and he says NO. He pulls out his back up curado and tells me to keep going! Seriuously, this guy is a class act. SO I set up and cast...BIRD's NEST??? What is this - amateur hour? I feel like a total idiot. :Embarrassed: I get the hang of his reel and rod but am too cautious about casting out that far.

MEanwhile, Arthur treks on out to God knows where and back and says that north is too weedy and to fish south. OK. We walk, cast and fish. The seniors have a few bass and other fish but poor me, nothing but nests. So, I check out the brakes and settings. Yeah, OK Don, thanks for telling me that you use no breaks, no adjustments, nada. No wonder he can cast to Catalina and back. I dial it in and end up with 2 BSPs a 12 inch and another 13.75 inch. Only took picture of the 12 inch bc the other one was about to give birth.

It was time for Don and I to go so we parted ways with the Commander, who was hell bent on finding halibut at this new AO. Did he have luck? We shall see.

Epilogue:

So, the phone was toast but with my lawyering skills (disclaimer - I am still trying to pass the bar exam), I not only got a new iPhone, but got paid to do so. New iPhone plus $100 in my pocket ain't too shabby for a water damaged phone with no insurance. :EyePop::Secret::LOL:

2 days of fishing with Don and I learned something new - if you are narrow-minded and can only be happy catching halibut, surf fishing here can get miserable. Don was catching calico, sand bass, BSP, YFC and he was happy about every catch. Thankful that he was landing fish instead of moaning and groaning about not catching halibut. PLEASE - everyone I AM preaching to the choir here...it is supposed to be fun, so if you have fun and relax, you will learn alot more, be happier, and eventually land that trophy fish. Do not get discouraged! I have never been so happy to have caught BSPs. What an amazing weekend I had with Don and the Commander! I thank the Good Man upstairs for blessing me with amazing family, friends, and fishing!

So boys and girls, leave your bachi and skunk at home and go out and have fun!

Thanks for reading!

P.S. Colonel and Commander - I know that you have some pics, would you mind sharing? Thanks!

bulletoothulk
06-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Good day out there I talked to you guys I had the black hat on

bachiboy
06-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Day 1:

Ken, it was an absolute pleasure to finally get out there with you. It made my day to see the look on your face after we ended the session and you were in seventh heaven from all the action we had. Thanks for the breakfast man...those burritos were AWESOME!!!:Wink:

It’s been over 15 years since I last hit that spot. I had always thought that it had become inaccessible but after checking around, found out there was parking nearby. I had only fished the area with bait and grubs before for perch but had great success there. Even armed with only 1” grubs, I’d caught short flatties there so I figured it was time to get out there for another look with the right artilery.

We were both given the smallest of windows to fish that morning. With this A.O. almost an hour from home, it was going to have to happen quick. We started the session on the side of the beach that I had a lot of luck on BSP. Ken was whacking on them. I managed a one but was working the outer waters since the swells on that end of the beach were a little large. There was also a rock cliff that dropped into the water that I was working over in hopes of hitting some bass. We decided to move on to an area that had some more structure and less of just straight sand. As we were walking up the beach Ken was getting that itch to make some casts so we pulled over when we came across a nice rip. Just outside the rip, I could see bait breezing the surface. My first cast into the bait pile produced the first YFC. I make a couple more cast and then it happens, BIG hookup! As I’m fighting the fish, I look over my shoulder and see the park ranger had pulled over in his truck to watch the action. I keep working the fish in, feeling the telltale signs of nice headshakes and BING, pulled the hooks. I look at the ranger and he’s just shaking his head smiling. All I could do smile back and say “damn”...okay, I might have used a little stronger word than that.:LOL::Censored: Two casts later, hookup again...same result. I call Ken over and the same thing happens to him...UNREAL. Oh well, we keep pushing on and end up at some good looking structure. From there the action went crazy. I had a stretch where I got bit in 8 straight casts. I lost count of how many YFC I got that morning and was actually shaking them off, if possible, once I got a look at them. None of them were over the size required for points in our monthly S.W.A.T. contest. I had at least one calico that would have made the 16” size limit for our contest but it came unbuttoned in the shore surge.

At one point, Ken walks over and says, “I don’t believe you. You’re pulling these fish out of your backpack. I want to see you catch one. Two casts later...calico. You know they’re biting pretty well when you can get bit that quick while under the spotlight.:Big Grin:

Because we were under a tight deadline and Ken was doing a photo documentary of the session, I didn’t snap as many photos as I should have...lessoned learned, cuz once Ken’s phone got drenched, the photos he took were lost. Just glad Ken didn’t get hurt during the splash down and, less importantly, we didn’t have any qualifying measurements in those photos.

Here’s the few shots that I had of that outing...

Ken draws first blood for the day with a nice pig

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Ken_zpsc66db24d.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/Ken_zpsc66db24d.jpg.html)

Checkers...

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day1_calico1_zps0d9126f9.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day1_calico1_zps0d9126f9.jpg.html)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day1_calico2_zpsb99c51de.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day1_calico2_zpsb99c51de.jpg.html)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day1_calico3_zpsc3351d8f.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day1_calico3_zpsc3351d8f.jpg.html)

He fights it and gets it close but then I hear the battle cry (of defeat) and see his LC fly out of the water! :Sad: He casts again. This time it looks to be a smaller model but still puts up a good fight. Again, he pops off. :Shocked: What could it be? Don says the first one had head shakes and I am thinking big butt! Don, what a guy, says, Ken, cast in my spot for your induction fish! So I do and BAM! Yeah this one is big too! I crank twice and feel a huge head shake and then my LC pops off. Don looks at me shaking his head and we check our LCs. :Confused: Nothing wrong with our equipment. Oh well.
I think what I actually said after the three strikes combined was “Awww man, we suck.”:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: I can’t believe we pulled hooks on all three fish.:Rolls Eyes: In fact, I can’t believe how many fish I pulled hooks on that day. You woulda thought I was using barbless. I’d say that a good percentage of the fish were YFC and perch, but still, not a good ratio. Oh well, can’t complain cuz we had great numbers regardless.

Good day out there I talked to you guys I had the black hat on
Nice meeting you out there Nick (forgive me if I got that wrong, but I’m pretty sure that was your name :Wink:) ! Hope to see you out there again soon.

Day 2:

So, after the session, I talk to the commander and let him know the outcome of our scouting mission. He says that he’d like to give it a try if I could sneak out another hallpass for Sunday...PERFECT. I tell my wife that I NEED to take Arthur to this spot so I’m gonna need a couple hours in the morning to go back out. She agrees as long as I’m back in time for my son’s swim lesson at 10:30 and that I had better be up for the trip to Disneyland that I had promised my son after...man was I a walking zombie at the park.

We get there a little earlier than the previous day, bypass the perch corner and go straight for the structure area that had produced the day before. The salad was a bit thicker on Sunday and there was no sign of bait like the day before...amazing how things can turn around in a day. We worked the area over pretty hard but didn’t score like the previous day. I managed one YFC and a couple of calicos. Ken got the one nice pig and Arthur had a half dozen or so perch, a YFC, a sandbass and a calico. I did manage to hook into a better model fish, probably a nice checker, that ended up rocking me...for my 9th lost LC for the year.:Rolls Eyes: Losing them to fish I can live with. Losing them to equipment failure or operator error is what really kills me.:LOL:

For all the times Arthur had put me on fish, I was hoping for a little better session, but the spot has potential. We kept saying, “Man, there’s gotta be a flattie out here. Look at this place.” Well, we know it has life, it’s just about hitting it at the right time. Maybe a lower tide so we can work the outer structure a little better? We’ll see.

Again, I didn’t shoot as many picts as I should’ve but here are a couple checkers for the day...

This poor lil' feller couldn't even try and put up a fight...

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day2_calico1_zps0d6c7098.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day2_calico1_zps0d6c7098.jpg.html)

A little better model but still not close to a point grabber for our contest

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day2_calico2_zpsa71067c3.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day2_calico2_zpsa71067c3.jpg.html)

Ken, glad we got to squeeze a couple of days in together out there. We’ll have to do it again soon.Arthur, sorry this didn’t turn out to be the slug-fest that we had hoped but hopefully that A.O. will show off it’s potential a little better in the future. Great fishing with you as always and hope we get to squeeze in another session before “D-Day”.:Wink:

The seniors have a few bass and other fish but poor me, nothing but nests. So, I check out the brakes and settings. Yeah, OK Don, thanks for telling me that you use no breaks, no adjustments, nada.
Oops, I guess I kinda forgot to mention that. I get great long casts in with those settings, but I end up with a ton more backlashes...some that are unrecoverable, like the one that ended the day yesterday for me.:Rolls Eyes::LOL:

Epilogue

So, I’m riding It’s a Small World yesterday and the whole time I’m texting between a certain "prospect" and Arthur. Seems like us old guys may have struck first again this month, but I’ll let him tell his tale!:Secret::Wink: The whole time I’m texting, my wife is looking at me like...really? REALLY?!!! :ROFL::ROFL: Oops, sorry honey.:Embarrassed:

:LOL: Good times!!!
Don

Wingnut
06-03-2013, 12:12 PM
My Brothers, it was fun sharing the sand with you guys Sunday morning. :Big Grin: I only stayed another half an hour after you left, it was starting to get a little rough and I had a long drive home.
Ken, bummer about getting rolled, I noticed that beach had a strange surge and you kinda have to anchor your feet a little differently. I'm glad you pulled out a Skunk buster at the last minute. Tell your Rookies Brethren they need to get it in gear and make it a closer contest this month. Next month, we're going to change things up a little bit. :Wink:
Don, thanks for the guided session... indeed, that beach has potential, we should hit it up at a zero tide to see what's up with all the structure. :Idea: I was sure that there would be at least some short Halibut hanging around but none wanted to play. :Neutral: I guess I'm one of the "miserable" ones, if I don't get my target species. :LOL: Hey, at least I got four species going for me that morning. :Big Grin:
Good times fishing with good friends... that's what it's all about. :Cool:

Go Team Fogy Stogies!

Pepesca Master and little brother... nice meeting you two out there, thanks for the introduction. :Cool: Congrats on your PB Calico! :Thumbs Up:
Also, I think the name was Troy from SCSF, nice meeting you too. :Big Grin:

Here's a few pics that I took that morning...

Gearing up and eager to go!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1001-23.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1001-23.jpg.html)

My Turd Roller... got a little Calico too. Plus (6) Perch and (2) Yellow Fin Croakers. :Razz:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1003-23.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1003-23.jpg.html)

One of Don's Checkers.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1002-24.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1002-24.jpg.html)

murrieta angler
06-03-2013, 07:45 PM
You are finally getting it Ken! :Wink:
Just relax and everything else will fall in place.
You got some nice sized perchies, albeit a 1/4" shy of an induction fish...:Rolls Eyes:
But again, you had a good time.
Thanks for sharing Brotha,
Robert
<><

Don,
You are tearing it up Bro!!! :Shocked:
Isn't it nice to have the lions share of "MOJO"!! :Big Grin:
I hope to get out soon and and contribute to the "cause"........"CAUSE" I LIKE TO TALK SMACK TO THE ROOKS!!! :ROFL: J/K Fellas. sorta

Take care,
Robert
<><

Homefish
06-03-2013, 11:00 PM
1st I want to say you boys are amazing! Since I started surf fish'n 7/2011 I've been at this stretch of sand @ least 1x/week! I LOVE This beach!!! I've never seen or heard of any1 catch'n the amount of Bass u boys caught(I've met alot of folks down there over the last almost 3 years, some of which r there everyother(if not everyday) & I get reports of what's happen'n down there when I see them on the weekends.

I was just behind you guys on Sunday morn'n. Had to get my new pass (my receipt says 6:09:53)! Normally, when I get here @ this time in the morn'n,there aren't many cars & if there are I know whose they are. Saw 2 surfers get'n ready to go when I got down there & 2 cars parked next to each other that I didnt recognize. Should've known it was some of the SWAT boys.

My boots hit the sand @ 6:30 & I worked the rip right in front of the access point. Started head'n north to the 1st structure & saw 4 guys work'n the area! I like to give people space so I didn't move that way right way. I worked the 1st area of structure after you boys had moved north a bit. Got noth'n there so I head'd south and spent the rest of my session fish'n down that way.

Wish I new it was you guys! It would a been fun to watch you boys work a stretch of sand I know so well.

Skunked, Glad your ok after your tumbles! Watch your step & those waves there. Not only do the waves attack from the front, but they'll get you on the way back out too!!

Bachi, This beach does change dramatically from day to day. I've had 50+ fish(perch) days 1 day & then noth'n the next! You just never know!

Hope to see you Boys out there again someday.

Thanks 4 the report(s)

Homefish

skunked4life
06-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Day 1:

Ken, it was an absolute pleasure to finally get out there with you. It made my day to see the look on your face after we ended the session and you were in seventh heaven from all the action we had. Thanks for the breakfast man...those burritos were AWESOME!!!:Wink:

It’s been over 15 years since I last hit that spot. I had always thought that it had become inaccessible but after checking around, found out there was parking nearby. I had only fished the area with bait and grubs before for perch but had great success there. Even armed with only 1” grubs, I’d caught short flatties there so I figured it was time to get out there for another look with the right artilery.

We were both given the smallest of windows to fish that morning. With this A.O. almost an hour from home, it was going to have to happen quick. We started the session on the side of the beach that I had a lot of luck on BSP. Ken was whacking on them. I managed a one but was working the outer waters since the swells on that end of the beach were a little large. There was also a rock cliff that dropped into the water that I was working over in hopes of hitting some bass. We decided to move on to an area that had some more structure and less of just straight sand. As we were walking up the beach Ken was getting that itch to make some casts so we pulled over when we came across a nice rip. Just outside the rip, I could see bait breezing the surface. My first cast into the bait pile produced the first YFC. I make a couple more cast and then it happens, BIG hookup! As I’m fighting the fish, I look over my shoulder and see the park ranger had pulled over in his truck to watch the action. I keep working the fish in, feeling the telltale signs of nice headshakes and BING, pulled the hooks. I look at the ranger and he’s just shaking his head smiling. All I could do smile back and say “damn”...okay, I might have used a little stronger word than that.:LOL::Censored: Two casts later, hookup again...same result. I call Ken over and the same thing happens to him...UNREAL. Oh well, we keep pushing on and end up at some good looking structure. From there the action went crazy. I had a stretch where I got bit in 8 straight casts. I lost count of how many YFC I got that morning and was actually shaking them off, if possible, once I got a look at them. None of them were over the size required for points in our monthly S.W.A.T. contest. I had at least one calico that would have made the 16” size limit for our contest but it came unbuttoned in the shore surge.

At one point, Ken walks over and says, “I don’t believe you. You’re pulling these fish out of your backpack. I want to see you catch one. Two casts later...calico. You know they’re biting pretty well when you can get bit that quick while under the spotlight.:Big Grin:

Because we were under a tight deadline and Ken was doing a photo documentary of the session, I didn’t snap as many photos as I should have...lessoned learned, cuz once Ken’s phone got drenched, the photos he took were lost. Just glad Ken didn’t get hurt during the splash down and, less importantly, we didn’t have any qualifying measurements in those photos.

Here’s the few shots that I had of that outing...

Ken draws first blood for the day with a nice pig

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Ken_zpsc66db24d.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/Ken_zpsc66db24d.jpg.html)

Checkers...

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day1_calico1_zps0d9126f9.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day1_calico1_zps0d9126f9.jpg.html)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day1_calico2_zpsb99c51de.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day1_calico2_zpsb99c51de.jpg.html)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day1_calico3_zpsc3351d8f.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day1_calico3_zpsc3351d8f.jpg.html)

I think what I actually said after the three strikes combined was “Awww man, we suck.”:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: I can’t believe we pulled hooks on all three fish.:Rolls Eyes: In fact, I can’t believe how many fish I pulled hooks on that day. You woulda thought I was using barbless. I’d say that a good percentage of the fish were YFC and perch, but still, not a good ratio. Oh well, can’t complain cuz we had great numbers regardless.

Nice meeting you out there Nick (forgive me if I got that wrong, but I’m pretty sure that was your name :Wink:) ! Hope to see you out there again soon.

Day 2:

So, after the session, I talk to the commander and let him know the outcome of our scouting mission. He says that he’d like to give it a try if I could sneak out another hallpass for Sunday...PERFECT. I tell my wife that I NEED to take Arthur to this spot so I’m gonna need a couple hours in the morning to go back out. She agrees as long as I’m back in time for my son’s swim lesson at 10:30 and that I had better be up for the trip to Disneyland that I had promised my son after...man was I a walking zombie at the park.

We get there a little earlier than the previous day, bypass the perch corner and go straight for the structure area that had produced the day before. The salad was a bit thicker on Sunday and there was no sign of bait like the day before...amazing how things can turn around in a day. We worked the area over pretty hard but didn’t score like the previous day. I managed one YFC and a couple of calicos. Ken got the one nice pig and Arthur had a half dozen or so perch, a YFC, a sandbass and a calico. I did manage to hook into a better model fish, probably a nice checker, that ended up rocking me...for my 9th lost LC for the year.:Rolls Eyes: Losing them to fish I can live with. Losing them to equipment failure or operator error is what really kills me.:LOL:

For all the times Arthur had put me on fish, I was hoping for a little better session, but the spot has potential. We kept saying, “Man, there’s gotta be a flattie out here. Look at this place.” Well, we know it has life, it’s just about hitting it at the right time. Maybe a lower tide so we can work the outer structure a little better? We’ll see.

Again, I didn’t shoot as many picts as I should’ve but here are a couple checkers for the day...

This poor lil' feller couldn't even try and put up a fight...

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day2_calico1_zps0d6c7098.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day2_calico1_zps0d6c7098.jpg.html)

A little better model but still not close to a point grabber for our contest

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/day2_calico2_zpsa71067c3.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/bachidym/media/day2_calico2_zpsa71067c3.jpg.html)

Ken, glad we got to squeeze a couple of days in together out there. We’ll have to do it again soon.Arthur, sorry this didn’t turn out to be the slug-fest that we had hoped but hopefully that A.O. will show off it’s potential a little better in the future. Great fishing with you as always and hope we get to squeeze in another session before “D-Day”.:Wink:

Oops, I guess I kinda forgot to mention that. I get great long casts in with those settings, but I end up with a ton more backlashes...some that are unrecoverable, like the one that ended the day yesterday for me.:Rolls Eyes::LOL:

Epilogue

So, I’m riding It’s a Small World yesterday and the whole time I’m texting between a certain "prospect" and Arthur. Seems like us old guys may have struck first again this month, but I’ll let him tell his tale!:Secret::Wink: The whole time I’m texting, my wife is looking at me like...really? REALLY?!!! :ROFL::ROFL: Oops, sorry honey.:Embarrassed:

:LOL: Good times!!!
Don

Fantastic Times Brother! Had such a blast talking, walking and casting with you. Let me tell you, you got guts casting without brakes or tension adjustments. You have more guts in pulling off what you did while riding small world! Seriously, DL time is family time bro...don't eat up the wifey's hall pass points! BTW -- my wife was stoked that I finally met some people who have kids. She is already asking if we can set up near your family at H4G 5.

My Brothers, it was fun sharing the sand with you guys Sunday morning. :Big Grin: I only stayed another half an hour after you left, it was starting to get a little rough and I had a long drive home.
Ken, bummer about getting rolled, I noticed that beach had a strange surge and you kinda have to anchor your feet a little differently. I'm glad you pulled out a Skunk buster at the last minute. Tell your Rookies Brethren they need to get it in gear and make it a closer contest this month. Next month, we're going to change things up a little bit. :Wink:
Don, thanks for the guided session... indeed, that beach has potential, we should hit it up at a zero tide to see what's up with all the structure. :Idea: I was sure that there would be at least some short Halibut hanging around but none wanted to play. :Neutral: I guess I'm one of the "miserable" ones, if I don't get my target species. :LOL: Hey, at least I got four species going for me that morning. :Big Grin:
Good times fishing with good friends... that's what it's all about. :Cool:

Go Team Fogy Stogies!

Pepesca Master and little brother... nice meeting you two out there, thanks for the introduction. :Cool: Congrats on your PB Calico! :Thumbs Up:
Also, I think the name was Troy from SCSF, nice meeting you too. :Big Grin:

Here's a few pics that I took that morning...

Gearing up and eager to go!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1001-23.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1001-23.jpg.html)

My Turd Roller... got a little Calico too. Plus (6) Perch and (2) Yellow Fin Croakers. :Razz:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1003-23.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1003-23.jpg.html)

One of Don's Checkers.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1002-24.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/Wingnut32566/media/Wingnut%2012/SWAT1002-24.jpg.html)

Arthur, I don't know if it is just me, or if all of the other rookies experience this when fishing with you, but it's like I get star struck brother! I get all nervous and giddy! :Embarrassed: Hope that I can up my game a little more so that next time, I can give you a run for your money! Let's BBQ at my place afterwards, next time we go out. You know you want some of my food.

You are finally getting it Ken! :Wink:
Just relax and everything else will fall in place.
You got some nice sized perchies, albeit a 1/4" shy of an induction fish...:Rolls Eyes:
But again, you had a good time.
Thanks for sharing Brotha,
Robert
<><

Don,
You are tearing it up Bro!!! :Shocked:
Isn't it nice to have the lions share of "MOJO"!! :Big Grin:
I hope to get out soon and and contribute to the "cause"........"CAUSE" I LIKE TO TALK SMACK TO THE ROOKS!!! :ROFL: J/K Fellas. sorta

Take care,
Robert
<><

Robert, you know you ain't kidding about talking smack to us rooks! :LOL: It's the military in you! We gotta get together and fish again. BTW - congrats MVP!!!

1st I want to say you boys are amazing! Since I started surf fish'n 7/2011 I've been at this stretch of sand @ least 1x/week! I LOVE This beach!!! I've never seen or heard of any1 catch'n the amount of Bass u boys caught(I've met alot of folks down there over the last almost 3 years, some of which r there everyother(if not everyday) & I get reports of what's happen'n down there when I see them on the weekends.

I was just behind you guys on Sunday morn'n. Had to get my new pass (my receipt says 6:09:53)! Normally, when I get here @ this time in the morn'n,there aren't many cars & if there are I know whose they are. Saw 2 surfers get'n ready to go when I got down there & 2 cars parked next to each other that I didnt recognize. Should've known it was some of the SWAT boys.

My boots hit the sand @ 6:30 & I worked the rip right in front of the access point. Started head'n north to the 1st structure & saw 4 guys work'n the area! I like to give people space so I didn't move that way right way. I worked the 1st area of structure after you boys had moved north a bit. Got noth'n there so I head'd south and spent the rest of my session fish'n down that way.

Wish I new it was you guys! It would a been fun to watch you boys work a stretch of sand I know so well.

Skunked, Glad your ok after your tumbles! Watch your step & those waves there. Not only do the waves attack from the front, but they'll get you on the way back out too!!

Bachi, This beach does change dramatically from day to day. I've had 50+ fish(perch) days 1 day & then noth'n the next! You just never know!

Hope to see you Boys out there again someday.

Thanks 4 the report(s)

Homefish

Wish I woulda said hi! Next time! Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post! :Thumbs Up:

PTN
06-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Great write-up Ken! I felt like I was out there with you guys and keep up the persistence. Also, watch out for those holes :LOL:. You got a great attitude towards surf fishing and you'll be getting that induction fish in no time. Great job out there guys!

-Peter

bloox8
06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Great job out there guys!
That spot looks like it has so much life. I am sure there's a few beast lurking around there somewhere.

Ken, way to rake up them perchies! I am positive that you'll get on some nice bass as soon as you can reach those darn kelp beds. I am thinking that we should invest in a Van Staal and wetsuit so that we can rake up bass points this month. AND we can enjoy getting rolled a little more. What do you think!?! :LOL:
Jk jk. Keep it up Ken! We will both get our induction fish when the time is right.

Don, sorry to hear about your lost whopper. If it makes you feel a little better, at least you got your LC back :Razz: Sucks when you lose a fish and an LC. Other than that, you had a great day! Six calicos from the surf is pretty awesome, even if they are short of points.
On another note, you have all your breaks turned off?! I heard that pros are able to cast normally with zero breaks but I am still too scared to test it out. I don't want to ruin my fishing trip lol. I'll have to test it out next time though.

Arthur, catching half a dozen BSP, a YFC, a sandy, and a calico is not considered a skunk ok!? Jk Jk, I know you're grateful for every catch :LOL: Nice job for an hour and a half of fishing. Now let the battle begin!

Nice write up guys. Thanks for the multi-angle report!

AND JUNE BEGINS!! LETS DO IT YOUNGINS!