PDA

View Full Version : Holy Meowwwww, Big Fat Cats on the chew, DL 78.6 pounds

Prowler_Tuber
06-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Well I took the Kayak out and me up with the Los Anglers Crew and fellow Team 57 friends and we seemed to find an endless supply of quality catfish nothing smaller than 5 1/2 pounds with a 8.9, 10.9 and a 9 pound Blue. So far these cats are destroying the FRESH bait. Go down to the pier or get them from the docks if not hit up a Seafood market and get the good stuff, it's only about $1.99 a pound so you get a lot of bait for cheap. I was fishing #12 Izorline and 3/0 Circle Hooks flylined the bait and I hung on for some very strong fighting fish, so much fun. The winds kicked up around 3 and that was it called it a day and came on in, It took a long time dragging what felt like a body across the lake. It was great weather water temp was around 70 in some parts and it was warmer in others. Fish were being caught Mid Lake, I saw a group of guys who had a great stringer fishing the posts out by Trout Island in 6 feet of water. Down by the dam they were getting some good fish also. Hometown was putting on a clinic on his boat with the guys and everyone was having a blast. Big props to the LA crew on a 200 pound stringer totally awesome time. If you didn't know Irvine Lake is the BEST catfish lake in ALL of Orange County and is listed as one of the BEST Catfish Lakes in America according to inFisherman Magazine. No one else in OC can even come close to that no matter what they grow. The fish are in cover, in the rocks and under the docks they are everywhere!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk5zhNNRCMI&feature=share

TaperSteve
06-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Dayam Diego tearing it up brother!

TS

Rooster
06-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Killin it on the Yak! ... Sweet video ...

Hometown
06-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Diego that sure was fun great seeing you and Los anglers out there

Prowler_Tuber
06-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Great day seeing everyone having a great time was well worth the day in the sun.

TroutOnly
06-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Lets see some holdover fish ,not hating but stocked fish are boring,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Prowler_Tuber
06-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I had 3 yellow holdovers and the blue still had a blast

Hometown
06-04-2013, 04:55 PM
At least half are fish were holdovers

Big Daddy
06-04-2013, 05:22 PM
How do you know that hometown

Big Daddy
06-04-2013, 05:23 PM
I need some edumacation on this

TroutOnly
06-04-2013, 08:26 PM
I will learn you big daddy ,then you wont be stuck on fresh stocked fish like the rest of the herd,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Rooster
06-04-2013, 11:13 PM
I was fishing #12 Izorline and 3/0 Circle Hooks flylined the bait and I hung on for some very strong fighting fish, so much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk5zhNNRCMI&feature=share

Forgive the Noob question, I noticed on your video you appear to be driving the hook set when bit.

Is it better to set the hook when using circle hooks?

I was told at the tackle store that I recently picked up my first ever pack of circle hooks .

"Never attempt to set the hook when using circle hooks" Any tips? How do I fish these dam hooks?

Prowler_Tuber
06-05-2013, 12:34 AM
At first I wasn't but they are picking at the bait so I had to set it good cause they spit 3 hooks a few weeks prior all the hook sets were solid I didn't loose one after it

Prowler_Tuber
06-05-2013, 12:45 AM
I will learn you big daddy ,then you wont be stuck on fresh stocked fish like the rest of the herd,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yeah Mark take good notes so we can all share TO's wealth of knowledge that way the rest of us herd can use it to catch holdovers. Lol

the killa fish taco
06-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Forgive the Noob question, I noticed on your video you appear to be driving the hook set when bit.

Is it better to set the hook when using circle hooks?

I was told at the tackle store that I recently picked up my first ever pack of circle hooks .

"Never attempt to set the hook when using circle hooks" Any tips? How do I fish these dam hooks?

I use the Owner Circle Hooks in the saltwater for Tuna and Barracuda and I never set the hook on a swing. Usually just click the reel into gear and let the rods action and the drag set it for me.

Prowler_Tuber
06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
I use the Owner Circle Hooks in the saltwater for Tuna and Barracuda and I never set the hook on a swing. Usually just click the reel into gear and let the rods action and the drag set it for me.

For salt it's easy they set themselves but these cats were just picking up the bait and sitting on it so you had to do the work for them. Nice yellow btw Taco

TaperSteve
06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Those SOB's are smart!

I fish circle hooks too but with cats you have to know how to set the hook and I don't mean swing for the fences because all you'll do is yank the bait and hook right outta their mouths. When they bite I usually start reeling slowly until I feel tension and then I set the hook with a long slow sweeping motion.

To each his own there's no right or wrong way. Whatever works best for you that's just my two cents.

TS

the killa fish taco
06-05-2013, 12:02 PM
For salt it's easy they set themselves but these cats were just picking up the bait and sitting on it so you had to do the work for them. Nice yellow btw Taco

What yellow?

the killa fish taco
06-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Those SOB's are smart!

I fish circle hooks too but with cats you have to know how to set the hook and I don't mean swing for the fences because all you'll do is yank the bait and hook right outta their mouths. When they bite I usually start reeling slowly until I feel tension and then I set the hook with a long slow sweeping motion.

To each his own there's no right or wrong way. Whatever works best for you that's just my two cents.

TS

Im just gonna go noodling!!!! LOL

TaperSteve
06-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Im just gonna go noodling!!!! LOL

I imagine Daniela and/or Kewly would have a fit if we did but hey I'm down to give it a go.

TS

Hometown
06-05-2013, 04:50 PM
they get the yellow green color BD

Prowler_Tuber
06-05-2013, 06:24 PM
What yellow?
Your yellowtail.

TroutOnly
06-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Oh dont piss kooly off he might b-i-t-c-h- whip you with a plastic swimbait,,,,,,,,,,,,,but then again you might like that,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,

Prowler_Tuber
06-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Oh dont piss kooly off he might b-i-t-c-h- whip you with a plastic swimbait,,,,,,,,,,,,,but then again you might like that,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,

lol creepy but lol

troutdog
06-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Nice video Diego, looked like another fun day on the yak! See you at the lake soon....

TD

BigBass777
06-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Cool video. The opener looked like a ton of fun. All those cats are quality size.

reelgurlzfish
06-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Nice job. I need friends with boats LOL. Went today and fished the flats and boat launch area from shore. Nooooo action!