PDA

View Full Version : Crowley Perch Time

Sierra_Smitty
06-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Hit up Crowley on Thursday with our friends who run the fish camp there and did a little perchin'. We're still a week or so off from it going wide open but we did see a good number of fish at Leighton Springs. Only caught 6 between us but had a good time doing it. Crooked Creek had some smaller models in there too. Didn't see anything in Mcgee or Hilton. They just stocked a ton of subcatchable browns and those were stacked up in Crooked Creek. The fish we did catch were all on the root beer gold flake 2" swimbaits.

Probably going to hit it up again next week to try and get some fish taco filets.

billy b
06-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the report

No trout fishing?

Who's the best guide for Crowley?

Social Director and I are still planning on going out with you in Sept-Oct timeframe if the pontoons are running

Sierra_Smitty
06-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the report

No trout fishing?

Who's the best guide for Crowley?

Social Director and I are still planning on going out with you in Sept-Oct timeframe if the pontoons are running

Nope, no trout fishing, we were on a perch mission this time around.

Mickey Baron is a well respected guide up there. The Trout Fitter also has some good guides for Crowley.

If the toons are out, I'd be happy to take you and the social director out.

DC5fishR
06-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Dude, I also saw a couple massive schools of those small browns from shore in whiskey bay a few weeks ago, I was like hey there's a couple fish swimming by, no wait there's hundreds :Shocked:

I've never caught one of those perch before. How do you target the Sacramento perch there from either shore or tube? Pm me if you prefer.

Sierra_Smitty
06-04-2013, 03:12 PM
The perch are pretty easy to catch once you find them. It's a lot like Crappie fishing in the spring, mini-jigs and 2" curly tail grubs are the standards. They tend to like the more natural colors, browns, greens etc. When they move into spawn, you start working weed edges in 6 to 10 feet of water. When it's really on, they're right up in the shallows and you can sight fish them. I've always done best with 1/32oz weights but 1/16oz is the most popular. The fish will go off in different parts of the lake at different times but my go-to places are Leighton Springs, Green Banks, Crooked Creek, Beaver Cove and little Hilton. Guys catch them incidentally on midges or worms too when it's really going off. Some guys that really have the bite dialed in can catch them all season as they suspend in big schools and you can troll small crankbaits through the schools and clean up. They're easiest to find in late May through June but that can change depending on the weather and weed growth.

billy b
06-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Heard on this board that Chalk Cliffs may be good also???

Sierra_Smitty
06-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Heard on this board that Chalk Cliffs may be good also???

Could be...never really tried there, only fished there for trout. I'm headed out there tomorrow, I'll stop by and check it out....if there's weeds, there will be perch.

fishnfreak1966
06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
What is the limit on sacrmento perch? Can i access these places you speak of via float tube?

Sierra_Smitty
06-07-2013, 01:45 PM
What is the limit on sacrmento perch? Can i access these places you speak of via float tube?

The limit is 25. Yes, you can access most of the lake via dirt road and then launch you tube closest to the target fishing area.

Marley
06-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Fun fish to catch, almost as tasty as crappie. Sure wish I could get up there again, missing it big time.

Beeracuda211
06-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Ohhhh Smitty you know I like to hear those words.... Dusting off my gear lol Whats the deal with South Lake, shoot me an email when the fleet is ready so I can get up there....

B/C

fishnfreak1966
06-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info. I am heading up there mid July and would really love to get into the perch bite.