PDA

View Full Version : Boats

Fishingforlyfe
05-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Can someone help me on what I need for a boat? I am buying a boat however are there any minor things I need? I also need help on what kind/ type of battery I will need for an electric motor as well as a charger for the battery... anything is helpful! Thanks!

bowler
05-31-2013, 09:53 PM
life vest a must for a boat.

TUNAVIC
05-31-2013, 10:05 PM
A little more info would be nice,freshwater or saltwater,aluminum or fiberglass, length,inboard outboard,ect,ect...

Cya TunaVic

cutbait
05-31-2013, 10:12 PM
Man this is going to sound harsh, but it doesn't sound like you should be a boat owner at this point.

If you don't know what basic safety equipment you need, IDK? Have you operated a boat before?

Rooster
05-31-2013, 10:43 PM
First of all... I want to say congrats :Applause: Very exciting getting a boat and becoming a capt of your own ship

Some Basic Gear for Freshwater. To me these are the most important items.

Anchor
Rope for Anchor - needs to be strong and long, at least 50'
Chain for anchor
Docking ropes - at least two, four would be ideal. These should be at least 10' long.
Vests - buy a vest for each of you and your family. Make sure you have enough spares to meet the limit on your boat, even if they are orange PFD's. IMPORTANT - make sure that they are Coast Guard Approved (CGA).
Class IV floating cushion - aka 'throwable floating device'
Fire Extinguisher - this is required by law
Fenders & fender lines - at least two of each
Air Horn - for emergencies,
Paddle -
First Aid Kit

Fishingforlyfe
05-31-2013, 10:54 PM
First of all... I want to say congrats :Applause: Very exciting getting a boat and becoming a capt of your own ship

Some Basic Gear for Freshwater. To me these are the most important items.

Anchor
Rope for Anchor - needs to be strong and long, at least 50'
Chain for anchor
Docking ropes - at least two, four would be ideal. These should be at least 10' long.
Vests - buy a vest for each of you and your family. Make sure you have enough spares to meet the limit on your boat, even if they are orange PFD's. IMPORTANT - make sure that they are Coast Guard Approved (CGA).
Class IV floating cushion - aka 'throwable floating device'
Fire Extinguisher - this is required by law
Fenders & fender lines - at least two of each
Air Horn - for emergencies,
Paddle -
First Aid Kit

Thanks!! This is very helpful

Fishingforlyfe
05-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Im getting an inflatable Sea Eagle 9. This boat will only be for freshwater.

Fishingforlyfe
05-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Battery type/ brand/ charger needed?

BALLERONBUDGET
06-01-2013, 07:27 AM
rule#1.. know ur limitations ,safety, and where u gonna boat..each lake has own rules and off limit areas/speed zone restrictions .every season unfortunately brings at least 1 fatality or accident.. see irvine 2011 ..castaic pudd etc...

windy white caps @castaic?? dnt even think about it.. boats and even yaks flips over.. ; inflatable boat u risk puncture from hook gaff etc...
i use costco marine batt with a good minnkota ( bigger =better . ) big charger with trickle charge when not in use

adult life vests preferrably on at all times, 12yr or younger may not remove it
. gas closed engines req extinguisher. ; trolliing motors do not.

cell phone / h20 proof case..orange ski flag , siphon pump always good

#of people and wt on ur boat limitations . weather wind etc will affect how long ur batt may last and u may be a**d out if u have to paddle back to shore or call lifeguard to tow u in...

basically think of anything that can or will go wrong and decide from there....

gud luck

cutbait
06-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Im getting an inflatable Sea Eagle 9. This boat will only be for freshwater.

Ok, I apologize. I pictured in my mind you had a 250 hp 65 mph boat.

Your starting it right. Asking questions and entry level rig.

Head their advise and also don't put too many people on a boat.

Good luck and post up your success

Hardcor
06-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Ok, I apologize. I pictured in my mind you had a 250 hp 65 mph boat.

Your starting it right. Asking questions and entry level rig.

Good luck and post up your success

http://youtu.be/xc5XW8DfiX0

Fishingforlyfe
06-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks everyone, and apology accepted. I was looking at a 38 thrust power minn kota electric trolling motor from walmart. it comes with a charger but my question is will that charger work on any battery? Like would it be powerful enough to charge the battery enough? Also, is 38 thrust enough for freshwater and is there something about a fuse for the battery? Thanks again :)

DockRat
06-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Hey Cory, That edited Carpboy vid is great.
HOW COME MY TAPWATER TASTES LIKE ASHES ?

I pictured in my mind you had a 650 hp 95 mph boat.

This slow motion version is good. Still wonder about his throttle action ? WTF ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R25MW3J39w

DockRat
06-03-2013, 06:33 AM
USE CAUTION WHEN INFLATING !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brVOhP5c2IE

BALLERONBUDGET
06-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Mkotta recommends inline fuse i think 30 or 60amp.. cant remmbr.... can be bought on ebay or electrical shop $15... ive never used one since im not running anyothr electrical device..... there are pushable reset ones rather than changing out glass fuses...

lots of used minnkotas on craigslist or ebay... under $100 usually

also u might wanna get a batt box with cover while ur at it.....prevents any water or batt acid spill in ur boat/car ..
+ extra tie downs to secure ur motor clamps to boat case it shakes loose off boat.....

gud luck