PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Creature caught on GoPro video while kayak fishing off Big Sur Coast!

Calicanuck
05-30-2013, 11:44 PM
So I was out fishing Big Sur this past long weekend and was looking at the video that had been captured since I just set it to record continuous. What is shocking with this camera angle is you can now see what is lurking behind you when you don't even know it. Check out the footage. I've also put slow motion shots and zoomed up 100% or more. Check it out, what do you think it is. I'm glad whatever it was didn't come any closer. Being out there all alone in dense fog so I couldn't see land, surrounding rocks or anything would have made the get away from a sea creature fairly interesting. When this occured the lingcod I had on my kayak had been thrashing around a bit which may have brought something in for a closer look.

I'll post the actual fishing videos once they are put together. Got some action but fishing not quite as off the hook as usual because of the wind/swell and current that made it difficult to fish. Plus with full moon just seemed like the fish weren't biting even when I was marking a lot.

Check out the MYSTERY CREATURE:
Make sure to watch in 1080P HD for best viewing otherwise you might not get a good view of the appearance.

http://youtu.be/eA0cksB4ztc

What do you think?

dk4885
05-30-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm going to say sea lion

Lightline
05-31-2013, 12:23 AM
http://youtu.be/fbfzahtZsN8

Carptain_Bao
05-31-2013, 12:28 AM
I think it is probably a sea lion by the look of the head. But what I am curious more about is why you turned around? Did you hear anything or just feel something was coming your way? That is odd when you are fishing, but I guess it makes sense since you are out at the ocean so you always want to know what's around.
Interesting vid.

jicasiano
05-31-2013, 12:49 AM
Did any of you guys see "Mermaids: The Body Found" on Animal Planet!? Maybe it was a mermaid!!

-b

Calicanuck
05-31-2013, 08:28 AM
I think it is probably a sea lion by the look of the head. But what I am curious more about is why you turned around? Did you hear anything or just feel something was coming your way? That is odd when you are fishing, but I guess it makes sense since you are out at the ocean so you always want to know what's around.
Interesting vid.

It is actually quite interesting, when I watch the video I was just fishing along not paying any attention. Then I start looking behind me, I kept looking behind me for over 5 mintues after this thing appeared and I remember that time while I was out there feeling that something was around. I'm not sure if I saw it in my peripheral vision because I don't remember seeing anything. I know I didn't hear anything, it was perfectly silent, that is why I don't think it is a sealion, I usually hear them when they come by because they splash a lot out there. I see them sometimes but usually closer to the large rocks. Now don't let the motion fool you, I think the motion is mostly caused my the swell which is hard to see how large it was in the video. Also I'm not sure I see a head like you said you saw. To me it kind of looks more like a fin. But who knows, whatever it is just shows you that you don't always know what is going on behind you.

TUNAVIC
05-31-2013, 08:40 AM
Looked like a seal to me,looks like he bobbed up took a look and then sank out, when your in thick fog it is really disorientating,that would of been pretty weird to see something like that,and not be able to identify it,it's always different when you fish by yourself,whether it be in a skiff,kayak,tube,ect..to me everything is just a little more intense for lack of better explanation,thanks for vid.

Cya TunaVic

DarkShadow
05-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Perhaps a squawfish?

That, or the top of Bigfoot's dome.

Calicanuck
05-31-2013, 12:16 PM
that would of been pretty weird to see something like that,and not be able to identify it

I didn't see it though when I was out there, it was behind me. I just noticed it afterward while watching the video play back at home. Probably if I actually saw it pop up in front of me I would have been able to identify it. I think my peripheral vision just caught some movement and thats why I was looking behind me, but I didn't even know there was anything there at the time. Thats why I liked seeing the video afterward to tell me I wasn't crazy, there really was something there, haha.

PokerFish
05-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Looks like a sea lion to me as well

DockRat
06-01-2013, 06:04 AM
i'm going to say sea lion
x2.........

casting call
06-01-2013, 09:35 AM
To me it kind of looks more like a fin. But who knows, whatever it is just shows you that you don't always know what is going on behind you.
I dont think that was a fin. If you look at the last zoomed in segment, you can see the tip of the "fin" move as the creature is about to submerge. Ill say its Nessie!! jk. sea lion.

fishmounter
06-01-2013, 01:31 PM
It's Cadborosaurus willsi or just "Caddy". Who knows.. could be, but it's pretty far south for this beast.

Hotbite909
06-02-2013, 06:52 PM
I noticed when you turned around and looked it instantly went underwater. It could tell when you where looking at it. A possible intelligent act of a sea creature. It is probably a, "sea monkey".

smokehound
06-03-2013, 01:53 AM
probably a spyhopping porpoise or dolphin.