PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Roundup

Newfishsmell
05-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Its Friday afternoon 5/24 and I'm on the Freedom fishing the backside of Catalina Island. The drags are
SCREAMING, rods bent and the boys on the boat are yelling ... FRESSHHH ONE !!! .... and, HOOOKkkk UPPPP !!!

Its complete pandemonium !!!

And once the smoked cleared, I realized that I was just in the middle of a wide open White Seabass bite.
The bad part was, I came up empty ... :Head Bang:

The good part was the boat had near limits. My friend Jerry landed a 23lb Halibut and a legal White Seabass,
TY, another one of the guys in our group also got his legal ghost. While my buddy Erwin and I struck out on
the Seabass, we did get 5 or 6 chunky Calicos.

Saturday 5/25 and I'm on the PM half day trip out of Pierpoint landing with my 8 yr old daughter, Little C
(aka)EzLimits. And She's feeling a little weezy. I give her some water & chips and have her take a nap. We got
into a pretty good Calico Bass bite, with some Sand Bass mixed in. Lots of shorts(released)and some nice
keepers.

About half way through the trip Little C(aka)EzLimits is up on the deck and ready to pull on some fish.
So my next hook up I call her over to reel'em in, she starts cranking it in like Bill Dance on a 2lb LMB ... lol
We get it up on deck and its a legal size grumpy, I give her a high five and tell her good job. Then she's back to
the bait tank to play with the live squid ... lol. We ended our half day trip with a limit of Bass and 4 or 5 bottom
fish to fill the sack.

So Sunday I head down to Oceanside to visit family. I pack one rod just in case. So I sneak away mid day & drove
several miles of coast line during my " food/gas run " lol. The crowds were thick. Plan B,get up early and fish the low
tide Monday morning. I figured I could sneak in about an hour of fishing time before any one knew I was missing ... lol.

Monday morning I make it down to my spot just after 5am. After a couple days of party boat fishing it felt great to have
my feet in the sand and all the fishing space I could ask for. The plan was to fish for about an hour. Well I lasted about
45 minutes before the fiber in my diet had me running for the exits ... lol

But not before I landed one Yellowfin Croaker and one small Hali on the 3in Big Hammer ...

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/20130527_053733_zpsfe7771b4.jpg

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/20130527_055211_zps914e0fb2.jpg

Hope everyone had a great weekend , until next time ... :Beer Toast:

fishshep
05-29-2013, 10:13 PM
:LOL::LOL: Your report just detailed the escapades of a true fishing addict !!! :LOL:

It was fun. and funny just reading that :LOL:

Newfishsmell
05-29-2013, 10:24 PM
:LOL::LOL: Your report just detailed the escapades of a true fishing addict !!! :LOL:

It was fun. and funny just reading that :LOL:

Lol ... I do need help.

Thanks fishshep

DockRat
05-30-2013, 06:46 AM
WTG on the plastic.

skunked4life
05-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Too funny...you know you spent more than an hour out there! :LOL: Not a bad day out there on the surf! Good job on your short lived escape.

bachiboy
05-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Tough luck on the ghosts. Man that's a crappy feeling to see rods bent all around you, but it happens time and time again. Your time will come soon enough.:Wink: Nice going on the short shots in the surf. Thanks for sharing!

Well I lasted about
45 minutes before the fiber in my diet had me running for the exits ... lol
DOH!!!:SHOCKED: I HATE it when that happens!:ROFL:

Newfishsmell
05-30-2013, 09:28 PM
WTG on the plastic.

Thanks DR

Too funny...you know you spent more than an hour out there! :LOL:

The thought did enter my mind ... lol

Thanks skunked4life

Tough luck on the ghosts. Man that's a crappy feeling to see rods bent all around you, but it happens time and time again. Your time will come soon enough.:Wink: Nice going on the short shots in the surf. Thanks for sharing!

DOH!!!:SHOCKED: I HATE it when that happens!:ROFL:

I'm still feeling the pain of not getting my ghost !!
Although, the pain seems to go away every time I cast my line in the water ... lol

Thanks bachiboy

keenefish
05-31-2013, 11:31 PM
Hi There,
I was on the boat with you Friday, I got mine 29lbs and handed off 2 fish, they only were eating mid column with 1/4oz slider from 3 to 3:30, the captian called in his friends too early before we had our limits and the fish moved on to the thunderbird and that other private boat. I had a hook pull on another before I could hand it off. Your buddy was standing next to me when I told him we were on the beach and trying for butts, he says he's looking for helmet and nails that 23 pounder.
Keene

Homefish
06-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Nice weekend my friend! Enjoy your daughter fish'n w/ya as long as possible! My daughter is almost 14 now & wants noth'n to do w/fish'n! I hope she comes back to it 1 day!
C-Ya,
Homefish

Newfishsmell
06-01-2013, 05:47 AM
Hi There,
I was on the boat with you Friday, I got mine 29lbs and handed off 2 fish, they only were eating mid column with 1/4oz slider from 3 to 3:30, the captian called in his friends too early before we had our limits and the fish moved on to the thunderbird and that other private boat. I had a hook pull on another before I could hand it off. Your buddy was standing next to me when I told him we were on the beach and trying for butts, he says he's looking for helmet and nails that 23 pounder.
Keene

Nice catch keenefish !

That Jerry guy is a character, he caught his Seabass on the dropper loop with a 4oz torpedo sinker. I was using 1/4 to 3/8 ounce sliders, and spent a lot of that time re-tying.
I'll get'm next time(hopefully)lol.

Nice weekend my friend! Enjoy your daughter fish'n w/ya as long as possible! My daughter is almost 14 now & wants noth'n to do w/fish'n! I hope she comes back to it 1 day!
C-Ya,
Homefish

I hear ya Homefish. I'm enjoying it while I can.

Thanks

Wingnut
06-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Nice catch in the surf on the swimmies. :Thumbs Up:
You'll get those WSB next time. :Wink: