PDA

View Full Version : whats the deal

majesty714
09-13-2007, 02:31 AM
the summer is comin to an end . the water temp has droped to 59 degrees.about three weeks ago it was like 74.. does the ocean fishin slow down about this time of year or what?

ghetto dad
09-13-2007, 06:32 AM
most landings seem to go into "winter mode" as soon as Labor Day is over, this summer in general, at least for local fishing, was horrible....we had a late bite on the bass and barries, THANKS TO THOSE DAMN GIANT SQUID!!!... pray that they arent up next year!!!!!!

dschmaltz
09-13-2007, 07:47 AM
It's all about water temperature. At the end of last week, the NW winds literally blew the summer inshore season away, or at least, put it on hold.

Normally, Sept. & Oct. are good months and there could be some possible water warmup yet, but time will tell.

Last Saturday, it was forcasted to be 10-15 knot winds. I was out around the 14 mile bank and 267 spot and trust me, the winds were not 10-15 from the NW. My cheeks were flapping in the wind and I think that I was drifting at about 10 knots? in the wind. It was another long ride back to Dana Point. When the winds blow that hard from the NW, water temps drop and bass fishing and most others species is over for a while.

The good news is that winter fishing is fun too, just different. I caught way more Calico bass last winter than I did this summer.

getinmybelly
09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
hey, so what do you mean by winter fishing is different? like different types of fish? or different way of fishing?

halo16
09-13-2007, 01:41 PM
This summer was one of the worst localy in a long time i think, The water temp never was steady and if it wasn't for the barries that came for a while it could of been worse.

The Yellows were poor except for late spring, and a few bonita's but not many.

If you got to go albie hunting you had to pick the right day or else,it was a tough ride.

Winter fishing just drop striaght down for rockfish.

BIG0FISH
09-13-2007, 02:29 PM
i checked the yearly chart for socal ocean water temp and it doesnt seem like its gonna get any better. for private boaters, lobster season is just around the corner.

Ambassadorhawg
09-13-2007, 06:09 PM
I agree, horrible local fishing this year. This is the first year I have ever seen w/o a major Sand Bass spawn. Weird!

Albies have put on a pretty good showing this year, though, and pretty close to us at times as well.

Oh well, get your Cod gear out while we can still fish for them...

JapanRon
09-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi majesty 714,

Summer is over as far as local inshore fishing is concerned in my opinion. But .... be assured that there is decent fising out there throughout the Sept/Oct and even November months.

The key is finding the boats that have a good handle on the SWRFing. We won't automatically go find fishing holes that are 360 feet deep but instead hit the many areas along the 180 to 240 depth rifts. That's when we don't fish depthis we're fishing now.

Check some of the archives (including mine) from last year on the 'dead of winter' periods and you'll be surprised at how good the fishing can be for those willing to get out in the cold.

There always seems to be one boat at any given landing that seems to do well on the rockfish!

You will notice that many, many anglers are now using what used to be considered light tackle to fish Rockfish. I'd say no special gear is really needed other than a spool properly filled and a couple of 6 and 8 ounce weights.

If you don't believe me .... ask Ghetto dad! He been monitoring the parade year after year!!

JapanRon

seanboi
09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Yes this summer was a very weird one at that. Everything was late, last summer was great catching dodos off of san onofre and a few at the flats and newport off the kelp paddies it was ridiculous better bite on the bonnies and yellows as well. As Ghetto said the squid killed the bass bite at the flats this year

jerryG
09-14-2007, 01:16 AM
It was early enough that I thought the water temp would have rebounded a few days the wind rolled the water but here we are 3 weeks later and the water has temps have only dropped even further. That slammed the door on the surface bite locally. As the others have mentioned this has been a tough season for local fishing. Ghetto Dad is right about the giant squid. We couldn’t even wind a sculpin through them with out it being shredded.

Local fishing during the fall can be outstanding for yellowtail, calicos (some sand bass in the fall but calicos are usually better in the fall), and bonito. Back in the day the big bones would usually show in fall. Oh well not this year. I love fishing cod as much as anybody but it sucks to have to be codding this early in the season. It could be worse though. When the fishing is slow like this and the cod closes then it gets really tough. If we're lucky maybe this winter some local squid will move in and give us shot at early winter yellows or even a decent bass bite would be nice. Regardless I'll be out there. See you guys on the water.

JerryG

Mike K.
09-14-2007, 10:51 PM
anglers are now using what used to be considered light tackle to fish Rockfish.

That bears repeating.

mcfadden fishers
09-14-2007, 11:43 PM
yea im headin out 2 dana point 2morrow do u think there will be good fishng

SanDimasLMB
09-15-2007, 12:14 AM
yea im headin out 2 dana point 2morrow do u think there will be good fishng

Probably going to see some sportaic bass action and if you fail to get the bass, probably sculpin and rockfish fishing.

~Don't forget your 4-10oz. Sinkers!~

mcfadden fishers
09-15-2007, 06:18 AM
thanx fur the report wat typeof bait did u guys use????ohyea also wat water temp

rusty6
09-20-2007, 04:02 PM
i was bummed that the summer before i left sucked. oh well, i kinda like being up here in the land of big rock cod

crabKracker
09-20-2007, 11:19 PM
I was glad to skip all the boat rides this yr. Seemed slow all over, bays, surf, in/offshore. One good thing, got to pull up a humboltd squid from a pier, that was a lasting experience.

sesgia
09-22-2007, 03:27 AM
ya i know summer is over but this year fishing is the best year for me (there goes my future car money :rain: :bang: :bawl: :cry: )
WSB total 8 30-57lb
yellow tail total 7 15-40lb
calico total too many
bone fish to many
Albie total 14 20-40
halibut total 80 30-150lb up in AL
ling total 120 15-48lb up in AL
black bass total 150 3-10lb
golden eye total 60 5-20lb
heading out tonight on 1 1/2 fish butterfly
after that the real fun come for the long range heading out on the 5 day in Oct to sea droal island and Nov heading out to San nick and DEC hopefully a open spot on 8 day. OMFGi just realize how much i spent this year on fishing dam this sux good bye my future house and car I'll think about you guys again in a few years

ymin72
09-22-2007, 03:55 PM
ya i know summer is over but this year fishing is the best year for me (there goes my future car money :rain: :bang: :bawl: :cry: )
WSB total 8 30-57lb
yellow tail total 7 15-40lb
calico total too many
bone fish to many
Albie total 14 20-40
halibut total 80 30-150lb up in AL
ling total 120 15-48lb up in AL
black bass total 150 3-10lb
golden eye total 60 5-20lb
heading out tonight on 1 1/2 fish butterfly
after that the real fun come for the long range heading out on the 5 day in Oct to sea droal island and Nov heading out to San nick and DEC hopefully a open spot on 8 day. OMFGi just realize how much i spent this year on fishing dam this sux good bye my future house and car I'll think about you guys again in a few years

Damn. Sounds like a busy year.

Which 5 day and 8 day trips are you going on?

BTW alaska is AK not AL. AL is alabama.

And its CEDROS not sea droal.

For someone who spent a ton of money going on all these trips, you sure cant spell worth a damn.

How come no reports? Or pics?

How long was your Ak trip? Isnt there a 1 per day limit on ling cod and 2 per day on halibut?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????

k3vin_kim
09-22-2007, 08:54 PM
FRIEKIN' KNOW IT ALL...

christainmetalhead909
09-22-2007, 08:54 PM
SICK BURN MIKE.

Funjunkie74
09-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth Mike... :evil:

Spell check is not an option, it's a necessity!! USE IT!
It'll save you the embarrassment of someone pointing out your mistakes.

FJ74

ymin72
09-22-2007, 09:51 PM
SICK BURN MIKE.

Dont burn me... Im not the one thats exaggerating here.

christainmetalhead909
09-22-2007, 10:20 PM
MIKE IM NOT BURNING YOU IM SAYING SICK BURN, LIKE YOU BURNED HIM LOL.

sesgia
09-24-2007, 03:55 AM
sorry about the spelling spell check doesn't work all the time you know.
well my trip to AK is fun stay at homer and is 2 fish per day for hal/ling also the deckhand are not allow to fish but they can help. as for the 5 day I'm heading out on the first string hopefully i have more detail about it and as for the 8 day I'm on standby so i don't know yet I'm trying to upload the picture but the size doesn't let me so i can't for now sorry

Cabodude
09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
La Nina!