PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Cove Memorial Day BSPs

jplee3
05-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey guys,

As always, it's been a while...

Spent half the day yesterday at Crystal Cove with my wife and in-laws after a nice breakfast at Las Brisas (man, the Koreans love that place!)

In any case, CPR'ed a couple BSPs - both were in the 10-15" range. Caught them on on fish crack earlier on but that was it. I was fishing on/off and mostly stayed in the same area (didn't want to ditch the folks). The water got real choppy closer to noon and there was so much salad in the water I kept bringing some back on every cast...arghhh. Luckily, I didn't lose any tackle. The beach started getting crowded as well, so I had to be selective about where I was casting. I was scared I was gonna tangle someone up with the wave/current action at times.

Here's the bigger of the two. I think it started giving birth so I got it back into the water ASAP.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AuxGzxc_Lt8/UaWgbZaujpI/AAAAAAAAD6M/CMOi0hsd7D0/w919-h480-no/bsp.jpg

Was hoping to get a halibut.... next time :)

bachiboy
05-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Wow, it has been a while since I've seen a report from you. Great to hear you got some time in the surf. The crowds were pretty dang thick this past weekend...gives a new meaning to casting into "holes".:LOL: That's a nice pig you nailed there. Not sure if it was about to give birth or just finishing...the bottom usually looks like a huge white bump at the birth canal area when it's about to pop out the pups and they look so fat that you'd think they were about to explode. Either way, great job!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Don

ScottD
05-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Just curious. I thought that area was closed to fishing when they just approved the new closure areas?

Isn't it a Marine reserve now?

bachiboy
05-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Just curious. I thought that area was closed to fishing when they just approved the new closure areas?

Isn't it a Marine reserve now?

It's designated as a MPA, but open to recreational fishing. This is from the DFG website...

CRYSTAL COVE STATE MARINE CONSERVATION AREA
Boundary: This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:

33° 35.373' N. lat. 117° 52.648' W. long.;
33° 35.065' N. lat. 117° 52.692' W. long.;
33° 32.400' N. lat. 117° 49.200' W. long.; and
33° 33.233' N. lat. 117° 49.200' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except:

The recreational take of finfish by hook-and-line or by spearfishing, and lobster and sea urchin is allowed.
The commercial take of coastal pelagic species by round haul net, spiny lobster by trap, and sea urchin is allowed.
Take pursuant to beach nourishment and other sediment management activities, and operation and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area is allowed per any required federal, state and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the department.

Take of all living marine resources from inside tidepools is prohibited. For purposes of this section, tidepools are defined as the area encompassing the rocky pools that are filled with seawater due to retracting tides between the mean higher high tide line and the mean lower low tide line.

bloox8
05-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Nice BSP
Its always nice catching a nice fish in front of family and friends :Smile:

jplee3
05-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys. Bachiboy, as I was holding it up, I noticed a red-colored liquid coming out of the birth canal area. Or maybe it was doing something else, other than giving birth! LOL... in any case, I didn't see any babies coming out of it, only the dripping. So I figured I better get it back into the water soon.

Anyway, it was good to finally use the annual pass that I bought in January and didn't use until Memorial Day hahaha. I got my wife one too and she still hasn't fished. We're definitely due for another trip to the beach. I need a longer break from the party boats - those really stress me out. I guess if I were making lots of money, I wouldn't care as much :P

Wingnut
06-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Nice Perch, a 15 incher is a brute. :Thumbs Up: