PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood Tips

dar30
05-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Hello All,
My son and I will be camping for a few days at Silverwood. Can anyone offer any tips on how to fish from shore there? We most likely will be targeting the trout. Are there any decent spots near the camp grounds? What set up would you recommend? My son is still pretty young so bait and wait will mostly be our game. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You in advance!

MikesOcean
05-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Hello All,
My son and I will be camping for a few days at Silverwood. Can anyone offer any tips on how to fish from shore there? We most likely will be targeting the trout. Are there any decent spots near the camp grounds? What set up would you recommend? My son is still pretty young so bait and wait will mostly be our game. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You in advance!

I would say just throw a little Kastmaster but that's too hard for a little one.

Set him up with a small bobber with a 2-3ft leader and put a night crawler on.

Just be careful if a little to med striper hits it, it might rip the rod out of his hand depending on his age.

And if I were you, I would throw the Kastmaster. You will have a chance at a trout or any other species at the lake. Med to fast retrieve, if you feel a hit, set the hook fast.

Good luck, and hope you have a good report. :)

bassoholic
05-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Hello All,
Thank You in advance!

Its quite a hike from the campground to the water. If you are trout fishing, get in the car and drive down and try to find a cove. More than likely, the trout will be deep in the coves from Mr. Stripey. Power bait with about a 2 foot leader.........Good luck!

fishincouple
05-28-2013, 10:10 PM
I agree, take a drive in the park. Go to Black Oak and park at the top. Face Miller Canyon, hike down the trail to a cove. Yes, as bass says, PB. Dad, like Mike says, chuck a Kastmaster. You can always hike East along Miller Canyon and find a spot too. I hear they are still catching them off the dock in the marina as well. Hope that helps!

fishingking
05-29-2013, 05:24 AM
Half oz weight with a Carolina about 2 feet leader and a owner size 6 hook and a red worm blow it up with a worm blower.. Was just there this afternoon and strippers are on big time sardines or anchovies.. Setup for me is a 1oz weight Carolina keeper and 2 feet leader with a size 2 owner hook.. Have fun and for you kid I would hook the same setup but with a shorter leader enjoy..

dar30
05-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Thank you all for the tips!!

jimbo1
05-31-2013, 07:01 AM
Let us know how you did, please. I have been thinking of doing the same trip with my kid. Give a report when you can, pops. Have fun

RTG
05-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Hello All,
Thank You in advance!
Well, I'm probably too late with this reply. The troutin' is pretty much done this time of year @ Silverwood. If you can possibly get some lugworms you are pretty much guaranteed to catch some stripers. If you pay the 3 bucks to fish off the dock, and you have lugworms, you will catch stripers. Most are pretty small, about 9-14 inches. Once in a while a nice one hits. The only place I know where you can get lugworms is at Big Fish in Seal Beach, or a place in Rosemead called, I think, Richard's Bait. There's also lots of LM bass way back in Miller Cove right now. Hope this helps.

bassoholic
05-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Well, I'm probably too late with this reply. The troutin' is pretty much done this time of year @ Silverwood. If you can possibly get some lugworms you are pretty much guaranteed to catch some stripers. If you pay the 3 bucks to fish off the dock, and you have lugworms, you will catch stripers. Most are pretty small, about 9-14 inches. Once in a while a nice one hits. The only place I know where you can get lugworms is at Big Fish in Seal Beach, or a place in Rosemead called, I think, Richard's Bait. There's also lots of LM bass way back in Miller Cove right now. Hope this helps.

Lugworms??? Uhhhh....nightcrawlers??

dar30
06-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Ok thank you again for all the replies. From what you are all telling me it's going to be tough going for the trout, being that time of year and all it sounds like they are going to be pretty deep. If all fails on the trout, what all you would you recommend for the striper or catfish. I was thinking of stopping by and getting some anchovies or mackerel from the local asian market for bait. I guess I just don't want to get skunked for the weekend and what to try for whatever is biting...Thank You all once again!!

Nessie Hunter
06-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Cleghorn also has camping (turn left ~ right after entrance).
Right on the water, swim beach, fishing, small hand launch dock & ramp..
My go to spot for Float Tubing...

Black Oak is high ground, You will see the Chain Link fence for Power Station. Walk to that and down the old Miller Cnyn road to fish Miller cnyn (about 2 blocks to start of water).. Or drive to Marina/launch & other locations (beach) to fish & swim...

The hardest part will be Catching fish, bite is terrible..... :(

Recent report:
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?73643-recent-silverwood-lake-trips

DEVOREFLYER
06-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Don't let the little one stray away from you as the snakes are coming out.

dar30
06-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Thank you all for the advice! Unfortunately my son and I got skunked this past weekend. We started out using the powerbait on the left side of Cleghorne with no luck. One of our friends from our group, though, did get one small striper on a Mackeral that first night. The second night he struck again, this time with a sardine. Also my niece, she's 5, caught small striper, also on a sardine...the look on her face was all worth it, as she made me forget about getting the big skunk!! All in all, It was a nice camping trip for me, but most of all the my son had a awesome time!!