PDA

View Full Version : Hookin for S.W.A.T. .................................................. points.

Nipple Twister
05-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Conditions have been a little harsh as of late which made for some slimmer pickins for a decent AO. Tried last Thurs evening with all the grunion run intel going around I figured worth a shot……picked a spot in the South Bay with minimal surf which turned out to be one of the worst evening yet. Absolute Maytag conditions, crazy currents, huge layers of salad, intervals? phsssssst, what intervals, waves rolling over waves…..you get the picture? And to top it off all the trenches I was used to seeing at this AO were gone……nuttin but flat sandy bottom…….no worries, needed to test out acouple things one of them being the resent change to 20lb braid. Read some intel somewhere that lead me to believe I was possible over doing it using 50lb……….mistake, BIG mistake…………………………..

Date: Saturday, May 25, 2013
Time: 0500-0830 hrs
A.O: Highly Classified
Weather: mild and partly cloudy, Full Moon
Water: 1-3 ft surf with large intervals, mostly clear tofair, minimal salad. Waves breaking annoying close to shore having to reallypay close attention or you’re swamped.
Tide: Almost 1 ft neg incoming
Bait: Lucky Craft Flash Minnow tied to “20”lb PowerPro braidi n aqua green spooled in a Daiwa Luna 253L attached to a 7 ft Carrot Stix
Fish Count; 3 and one that got away
Lost LC’s: 2

After last Thursday’s diabolical session I was really itching for some decent fishing. Looking over the predicted conditions and comparing it to some intel giving to me by S.W.A.T Command Center it was almost a given that this area was where I needed to attempt to get some points on the board before the closing of the month and help secure the leading position for the Ol’ Guys……..
I get parked and dressed I notice some familiar vehicles parked nearby, head off and make my way to the surf. With the full moon it appears like I’m the only one here as I make my way to a very structure infested area. Looking up and down the beach I still don’t see any sign of anyone so maybe those cars are look alikes, I dunno. Fling into the moon light darkness and make some nice clean retrieves……..going very nicely, no tunes this session……just mother nature and the quite buzz of braid going thru the guides. Every now and then a set rolls thru and I have to make some serious adjustments to my position and tactfully avoid getting swamped…….’bout 15-20 casts into it I get a good hit and pulllllllllllll, break the surface with a nice head shake……..whoooo,hooooo……Halibut for sure and by the fight possibly legal size. Zig zagging its way around it breaks the surface again and I can clearly see a good hook-up so I get a little more aggressive and timed with a wave slide up a nice……….shorty:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/052513a_zpsbb9d3188.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/nippletwister_photos/media/Fishing/052513a_zpsbb9d3188.jpg.html)

After a quick pic and unhook I release it back for anotherday……no tape needed, clearly short.
I go back to flinging and enjoying getting the skunk off, the peaceful silence of the surf crashing with the “plop” of the LC hitting the water. With the low tide I can reach the edges of the kelp patties and just keep flinging left, right, center……right, left, center, center, center, left,right………BAM, El Bendo!!!! Good fight but no shake, taking drag I button down tighter and pull to wet sand a nice YFC….short!:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/3fdbe023-f88f-4354-aade-247934eebf27_zpsae53e144.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/nippletwister_photos/media/Fishing/3fdbe023-f88f-4354-aade-247934eebf27_zpsae53e144.jpg.html)

Another quick pic and release I was back to flinging, looks like a good morning is in store and with a grin on my face I notice something move in the corner of my eye……..I turn to find Commander Wingnut!
Making his way down the surf line he said he has been here the whole time, was at the other end of the beach and saw me come onto the sand. After some hellos and handshakes we are back to flinging, chatting he let me know that Jason, Thien and Ken where also nearby. We kept at it for a while longer working this area over pretty good. With better intel then I for this AO Arthur advises of some good holes near some rocks and the tide is just right for the spot. “With 3 ft Surf????” ………”Okayyyyyyyy”
We make our way over the rocks and to the leading edges and sure enough, there are some nice holes here……..oh yeah, casting my way thru some nice ally’s with water clear enough to see your lure almost all the way back. With the occasional set rolling thru you really had to watch yourself, have a exit plan ‘cause some of them where sure to wash you off………not 15 mins into it I get hooked up……..nice hard fighter but quickly I get it to me and upon the rocks……another first for the year but still….no points!:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/052513c_zpsfa0dcf5e.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/nippletwister_photos/media/Fishing/052513c_zpsfa0dcf5e.jpg.html)

As I get a quick pic and release I was back to flinging, this will also be the last time I see this LC. Between casting and dancing around the surf we can see some familiar faces approaching, the three make their way to us and chat for a bit, we all get back to working this rugged out cropping hoping to get something point worthy…..couple of old fogy’s showin the youngin’s how it’s done!
I kept working this same spot, with one eye on the surf andthe other on the LC I get the mother of hook-ups……..”oh my F ing hell…….shut the front door!” this thing is pulling drag and bending that Carrot Stix like it was a Shimano………….I button down the drag tighter to prevent this fish from running into the rocks……..I get some, it takes it back, I get some, it takes it back……..still moving I like to think it was still in open water. Looking for a landing spot and dodging the surf I notice others trying to make their way to assist as I get a lot more back, I stall to plan my final tug and BING…….gone. no points. For some reason I figured 20lb braid had more into it but it was a clean line break, musta rubbed the rocks……….damn.
After that heartbreaker we all go back to flinging, Arthur,or should I say WingNUT, makes his way to a out cropping that was a little too close to Old Man of the Sea, gave Arthur a little reminder of the power and sneakiness of said Old Man……….I was about to start striping off the gear and turn fishing morning to rescue morning but just as quick he pops up with all thumbs up.Seems he was able to jump into a hole behind the rocks I couldn’t see, wet but ok……..whew, time to go. Off the rocks and back to sand. Arthur had expired time wise and had to start his way back. Good to fish with again Arthur, always a good time.
Ken had some equipment issues and was already back at the car, Thien said he was gonna stay awhile and maybe try another AO, Jason and I worked the beach a while longer for nadda, I musta been getting tired 'cause on one of my last casts I get an over run which jerks the line to a stop and BING, LC #2 gone. We decided to call it. As we made our way back to the vehicles it was still early, Jason and Ken invited me to breakfast for which Ken so graciously picked up the check……….thank you, young man, thank you very much and Jason’s company too, nice to see you both again……Tess, he’s agood man……congrats to you two. Gentleman, thanks.....great session and good to see you all.........now Thein, GET THAT INDUCTION FISH!
After our goodbyes we departed……..thinking all the way home about if I will tomorrow or not but I got a text late that night……….sweet, I gotta fish with my LC, I want it back!

Thanks for reading……..’til next time, tight lines everyone…

bachiboy
05-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Hey, Hey John. Tough going out there. I'm just glad none of you guys got seriously hurt. Nice job scoring those fish. Don't kick yourself too hard about dropping down in line test and losing that fish. I'm not sure that you wouldn't have lost it with 50. If your braid got nicked by the rocks, the 50 probably woulda broke too. Braid does great with kelp...not so well with rocks. Don't go losing too many LC's...I wanna keep my title.:LOL::Wink: Oh wait, you guys can't catch me...I've got losing LC's down to a science.:Rolls Eyes::Embarrassed: Glad you were able to get out there with some friends. Wish I was there for that alone...but then again, I had some work to do down south.:Secret::Wink: Thanks for the read and don't worry, that big ol' ghost is out there waiting for you man!!!

Don

iLLest
05-27-2013, 09:09 PM
John,

Good to see ya again brotha.
The bite decided not to cooperate with us but we still managed to make a fun day out of it, heck we even went for a hike of a lifetime lol.
We need to talk to Arthur about our plan of starting the "S.W.A.T caravan" to get us around these crazy terrains. :Cool:
I forgot, I have to head back to BPS to get some more of those super duper illusive custom lures, a fat calico or spottie has one stuck in its mouth inside a boiler :Sad: That fish felt pretty good, but it gave me absolutely no chance...it owned me super quick. Bass - 1 Me - 0, payback!
It seems that Poseidon has decide to baptize a couple of swat guys this weekend, hope your doing ok!

Ill see ya soon out there again
take care!
-Frank

Bob_B
05-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Sucks about the lost LC's. While 50lb may be overkill for the fish in our surf environment it behaves much better than lighter weight braids. It casts better, doesn't dig into itself like the lighter braid can and it does give a little more abrassion resistance. I used to use 20lb. moved up to 30lb and then 40lb. I finally settled on 50lb on my bait casters. I do still use 20 or 15lb on my spinners but thats a whole different ball game.

PONTOON
05-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Great Report John and a fun read as well! :Cool:

My hat's off to all of you who made the "Young Guns" vs "The Elder Statesmen" a fun month worth of reading. Hopefully next month I'll be able to participate a little myself. I looked at the reports last week and didn't see too good of conditions but a bunch of you took the "Damn the Torpedos" approach and did very well.......My hats off to you guys.
I remember telling Commander Wingnut to be careful out there this weekend but did he listen to me??????? Heck No! :LOL:

Great job out there in the troughs guys! :Thumbs Up:

DockRat
05-28-2013, 05:57 AM
South Bay has had tons of kelp lately.
Good report as usual, thnx.
DR

skunked4life
05-28-2013, 07:10 AM
John, it was a pleasure meeting and fishing with you. You old farts fish hard. When Arthur and Jason disappeared under a blanket of white seafoam, my heart sank and I thought that they would join your lost monster in the depths of the deep blue. When we ran over there and saw that ARthur and Jason were still alive, I thought, "let's get the heck off those rocks!" You guys schooled me and now I know what must be done to take you down.

Breaking bread was also a pleasure! So nice to share stories, talk about life, etc...even after all of that hiking and fishing and skunking, I had a fantastic finish to a hard days' fishin'! At least you guys weren't out there from 4 am like us dummies. :Sad:

SP Dan
05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi ya Brotha John aka: Nipple Twister,

Thanx for another fun read with pic's! :Thumbs Up:

It was good to have hooked up and to have fished together this past weekend! The SWAT Brotherhood was out in full force this past weekend!

I'm really battling the skunk these days ...... it's not that I'm not out there getting my LC wet! You know how it goes ................. this will also pass!

I'm glad to read that you are having success in your recent sessions!

Take care Brotha! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
05-28-2013, 04:16 PM
That's about par for the Geezers...:Big Smile:
Go Big or Go Home Baby!!! Don't let a little water ruin things..:Big Grin:
You got a nice assortment of fish for your efforts and don't sweat the points John...We got your back!!!!:High Five:
Nice report and the pictures are looking crisp!
Robert
<><

Homefish
05-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks 4 the report & thanks 4 Share'n!
Homefish

PTN
05-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Great job John. Your weekend fishing was more productive than mine and too bad about your lost monster :Sad:. It was good seeing you out there again with all the guys. Short but sweet. Now where is the Commander with the group pic... :Neutral: Thanks for the read!

-Peter

Wingnut
05-29-2013, 08:06 PM
John, I was already in the surf when I saw a flashlight dancing around at the other end of the beach and figured that it was one of my Brothers. :Big Grin:
Man, I watched you from hook-up to snapped off and what a heartbreak. :mad: That was a huge fish! :EyePop:
No worries bro, Poseidon owes you a big one and one of these days, you're gonna cash in that chip for a BIG prize. :Envious:
I heard Poseidon took a shot at you too on Sunday. :Shocked:
It's always fun fishing with you and let's do it again soon. :Cool:

jinbow
05-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear that you lost two LCs and got snapped on the rocks during a catch. You still got two 1st personal best for the year. It's always a good session when you get a calico. Thanks for the report John. Keep up the good work, and soon Poseidon will bring back that monster fish of yours.

bloox8
06-01-2013, 06:31 PM
It was nice fishing with you John again. We had a lot of exciting and heart pumping moments that day. I am glad we all made it out alive and safe after it all :LOL:
I am sorry one of those heart pumping moment had to end with you cutting your braid on the rocks. I witnessed the whole thing from hook set to poop. I don't know what was at the end of that line, but by the look the bend on your rod, it looked BIG :Shocked:. I hope you get another shot at a baby like that again soon.

You get yours and I'll get mine :High Five:

Thien

Nipple Twister
06-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Don wrote:

Thanks for the read and don't worry, that big ol' ghost is out there waiting for you man!!!

Thx for the comforting words my friend, or is it Agent Double O'Croaker? hehehehe.........
Ifin ya woulda been there I bet I would have landed that fish..........call it the "Budda Factor"

Frank posted:

Good to see ya again brotha.
The bite decided not to cooperate with us but we still managed to make a fun day out of it, heck we even went for a hike of a lifetime lol.

Yes, was good to see you too bro......was a crazy good time day for sure........the hiking kicked my butt, enjoyed every damn step.......thx Frank, hope to see you again soon.

I did manage this little guy:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/null_zpsf60a7b3d.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/nippletwister_photos/media/Fishing/null_zpsf60a7b3d.jpg.html)

Before I could get it unbuttoned it jumped off and landed in a small area full of water land locked.......swam around and kept getting caught by the erchin's (sp?) but I figured "no biggie, it will be set free when the tide comes back in". Before I left I noticed a small little crab maybe a third the size of the fish draggin his *** out of the water ........... too damn funny, so I picked it up and set free..........the pic was taken with the camera submerged in the small pond of water.......

Bob says:

Sucks about the lost LC's. While 50lb may be overkill for the fish in our surf environment it behaves much better than lighter weight braids. It casts better, doesn't dig into itself like the lighter braid can and it does give a little more abrassion resistance.

Yup, it sucks.....just bought one of them just last week. But yeah, I will be re-spooling with 50lb and save the lighter stuff for my freah water gear.
Thanks Bob.......

Pontoon typed:

Great Report John and a fun read as well!

Thx Kemo.......you shouda been there!!!!!! We missed ya.......

Nipple Twister
06-17-2013, 08:12 PM
DockRat posted:

South Bay has had tons of kelp lately.
Good report as usual, thnx.
DR

Thx for reading DR and the kind words........things have improved since my last post....

skunked4life wrote:

John, it was a pleasure meeting and fishing with you. You old farts fish hard. When Arthur and Jason disappeared under a blanket of white seafoam, my heart sank and I thought that they would join your lost monster in the depths of the deep blue. When we ran over there and saw that ARthur and Jason were still alive, I thought, "let's get the heck off those rocks!" You guys schooled me and now I know what must be done to take you down.

yes, it was a little touch and go there for a while but we went, fished it and kicked it's butt huh?
Milestone day my friend, it was a pleasure the have shared it with you.........say when!

Thx Ken

Dan said:

Hi ya Brotha John aka: Nipple Twister,

Thanx for another fun read with pic's! :Thumbs Up:

Brother Dan......always good times, you have some epic events close in your future.......

thx Dan

Murrieta Angler adds:

That's about par for the Geezers...:Big Smile:
Go Big or Go Home Baby!!! Don't let a little water ruin things..:Big Grin:

Hahahahahaha, yeah buddy!!!!!!!! I think I caught myself thinking "hmmm, I bet brother Robert would"!

Thanks big man, appreciate the kind words huge........

Homefish writes:

Thanks 4 the report & thanks 4 Share'n!
Homefish

Your very welcome and thx just the same.......

PTN writes:

Great job John.

Thx Peter........hope to see you soon.....

Wingnut said:

I heard Poseidon took a shot at you too on Sunday. :Shocked:
It's always fun fishing with you and let's do it again soon. :Cool:

yup sure did, Frank had a front row seat for all the action......El NT Rollooooooo!

Good times my friend, good times indeed........! Thx Commander

Jinbow adds:

Sorry to hear that you lost two LCs and got snapped on the rocks during a catch.

Yeah, so much for trying the 20lb braid, I just bought one of those too.......arrgggggg......

thx for the response......

Bloox8 said:

I don't know what was at the end of that line, but by the look the bend on your rod, it looked BIG :Shocked:. I hope you get another shot at a baby like that again soon.

Yeah, I hope for another chance, I want that LC back........thx bro, how's the hunting going????