Saturday Morning 5/25
0545 to 0830
Surf: 2 to 4 feet
Incoming high tide
Orange County beach

Crucial 7'6" crankbait rod
Daiwa Pluton
14# Suffix

This was my first attempt at surf fishing and let me tell you it is awesome! I would like to thank Wingnut for his recommendations on setting up my new outfit. The pluton casts amazing!

I ended up with 6 BSPs up to 12". Four of the six were caught within 30 minutes. Two of them were back to back casts. All caught on MS Anchovy LC. I had such a great morning in just a couple of hours. The beach was getting crowded with surfers so I decided to head home and spend the day with my daughter and wifey.

I can honestly say that next to dry fly fishing, this is my favorite type of fishing so far, and more enjoyable than LMB fishing.

Can't wait to land my first Hali. Going to work on getting some type of waterproof camera so I can post pics with my report.

Thanks for all the great posts in this section that inspired me to take up surf fishing.

Mike

PTN
05-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Great job Mike on your first surf outing. That Wingnut guy is pretty nice..:LOL: Not many can say they caught a fish with the LC their first time trying, well at least I can't. :Envious: Thanks for the sharing and awesome fishing setup you got there.

-Peter

exfactor
05-26-2013, 09:43 PM
I see another surf fishing monster in the making!!!!!! After you get a taste, the hunting begins!!! Mikey

Homefish
05-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Congrats on your catches & welcome to the addiction!

Dci4me
05-27-2013, 09:33 PM
The wifey said I can go fishing anytime I want as long as I'm home like I was on Saturday!!!! haha. I'm sure every surf trip will not be as productive as my first outing. I am excited to follow up this trip with another next weekend. Thanks for the comments Peter, Mikey, and Homefish. Yeah, as far as Wingnut goes, he is a diamond in the ruff. I really appreciat his candid responses to my pm's. Landing those BSP's in the surf was a very different experience to my usual LMB fishing from a tube. I have to say, I am on the hunt for the flat fish!

Mike

Bob_B
05-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Great job on your first outing!! Surf fishing is the best. The ever changing conditions makes it very challenging and so rewarding. Look forward to more reports from you.

WAHBAM
05-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Wow I wish my first surf session was as successful haha. Good job man

SP Dan
05-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi ya Dci4me,

Be patient Mike for you had a great first LC session! :Thumbs Up: Remember that with patience ..... all good things will come your way!

I also didn't have much luck at first with my first LC..... but that changed for me, the same way it will also change for you!
One of the most important things to remember is ............ keep your LC wet! That's it! .... along with patience! :)

Your head shaking legal is just around the corner Mike!!
PS....... I like your equipment set up ..... it should bring you many hours of confidence, success and memories!

Thanx Mike for your fish report! BSP are a lot of fun in the surf! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bachiboy
05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Wow, first time out and you go with the Pluton? I like it.:Thumbs Up: That's getting out there armed to the teeth. Way to go on the pigs. Doesn't always happen like that on your first time out...but it's sweet when it does.:Big Grin: Keep it up. I'm sure there's more to come.

Congrats!
Don

murrieta angler
05-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Very cool report Mike,
Your set-up is perfect for some monster flatties.
Are you heading out this weekend?
Maybe I'll see you out in the surf..:Cool:
Robert
<><

Dci4me
05-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks Robert. I'll be in La Jolla Friday and Saturday for a wedding and I'm already scoping out a section of beach walking distance from the hotel :Big Grin: Addiction... what addiction?

bachiboy
05-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks Robert. I'll be in La Jolla Friday and Saturday for a wedding and I'm already scoping out a section of beach walking distance from the hotel :Big Grin: Addiction... what addiction?
Be sure to check the DFG Website. Some of the La Jolla beaches are now MPLAs.:Sad:

Homefish
05-28-2013, 09:16 PM

Addiction...Ya, your S.F.A.(Surf Fishermen Anonymous) card should be arriving in the mail shortly:LOL:!!!

Wingnut
05-29-2013, 08:12 PM
That's one heck of a first surf fishing session... good omen for your surf fishing future. :Big Grin:
If I remember right, I actually didn't recommend the Pluton for the surf, did I? Don't dunk that Pluton. :Wink:
I prefer the Luna...
You did a great job and I'm wishing you continued success out there. :Cool:

Dci4me
05-29-2013, 09:15 PM
You are right Wingnut. However, your comment about being a great swimbait reel is also what helped me make my decision... now I have a reel that will do double duty :Smile: It just so turns out that I will be trading a fly outfit to a friend for a Calcutta TE and Lamiglas swimbait rod.... so maybe I should have got a Luna. Well, Father's Day is coming up and the Wifey has been asking if there is anything I wanted..... :Big Grin:

The Pluton did work great in the surf. The brakes worked awesome. A couple of slips from wet hands that I'm sure were going to leave a nasty nest to pick out... but the reel managed to smooth itself out.

Thanks to all for the checking out the first surf report. Hopefully I have something to report back this weekend.

Mike

skunked4life
05-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Indeed, a great first outing/report! You did the research, got the gear, went out with a good mind-set and were well rewarded! Thanks for the report!