PDA

View Full Version : 5-25-13 Dana Point - Made the best of it

marzocchi
05-26-2013, 04:00 PM
It has been awhile since I posted. My friend Jon asked to me to run his boat. We went looking for the yellows in the morning. Did not work out as planned. We were not the lucky ones today. None of the paddies we checked had anything on them. All we could show for it was $300 in gas.

I tried to salvaged the day by going back inshore to the coastline for the midday seabass tide swing. Like clockwork, they bit again. Went 1 for 2.

After the seabass went through, it was almost noon. Had to be back at the dock in a couple hours. We were not too far from the Dana Point hard bottom. So I decided to end the day with I do best, local codding. Since I already wasted 300 bucks in gas, mind as well pull out the Grade A local cod numbers. Jumbo size Reds with some minor by catches. Limited out quick and headed home.

Lots of boat traffic. I hate fishing weekends, especially holiday weekends pictures for you:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/IMG_0668-1.jpg
Jon with some big local vermillions.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/IMG_0670-1.jpg
Making sure we are not over limit.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/IMG_0671-1.jpg
One for the day. What a waste of gas.

Have a safe weekend. See you all next time.

DockRat
05-27-2013, 06:52 AM
1 Sea Bass and those rockfish is not a wasted day. Congrats.
Paddy hopping in May was a big gamble.
No Birds ? Bait Balls ? Sharks seen ?
Thanks DR

Viejo
05-27-2013, 08:35 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/dattrinh/IMG_0670-1.jpg

Checking to see if you're over the limit after the fact? Doesn't look like a waste of money to me.

Fishbones
05-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Its been a while, always quality big reds, nice with a lil bonus wsb.. Congrats, thanks for report.

marzocchi
05-27-2013, 06:23 PM
1 Sea Bass and those rockfish is not a wasted day. Congrats.
Paddy hopping in May was a big gamble.
No Birds ? Bait Balls ? Sharks seen ?
Thanks DR

Ran through a couple bait balls. Lots of brids. Kelp with birds on them. No sharks seen. Not meant to be for us, but we heard a few people got some closer to shore.

Checking to see if you're over the limit after the fact? Doesn't look like a waste of money to me.

My boat rules or when I run the boat is too always double count when we are done. Even if we know our multiplication table to the teeth, we double or triple count. Better safe than sorry.

JL
05-27-2013, 08:11 PM
If you don't mind sharing----- what were the seas like? We were out Friday and got bounced around with 4 - 5 ft swells. Plus 2 foot wind waves. We went North to Salt Creek and Monarch beach areas. I assume you were looking for patties out about 20 miles? We did fish the kelp towards the end of the day an caught some Calicos. It gets tough at $4.00 plus a gallon to not get on some fish.

marzocchi
05-27-2013, 09:51 PM
If you don't mind sharing----- what were the seas like? We were out Friday and got bounced around with 4 - 5 ft swells. Plus 2 foot wind waves. We went North to Salt Creek and Monarch beach areas. I assume you were looking for patties out about 20 miles? We did fish the kelp towards the end of the day an caught some Calicos. It gets tough at $4.00 plus a gallon to not get on some fish.

The swells were about 4 foot. I am not sure I can say it was 5. It was bumpy though. We were south of you. We made one big long loop for paddies then head back in toward the coast to fish seabass. We had live squid, which is must for seabass. Then finished just outside for rockfish.

My apologies about being vague about the location. You are welcomed to PM me. I cant give you the exact location for my rockfish honeyholes but I can point you in the right direction. All you need a fishfinder, gps, and some luck.

Tunaslam
05-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Looks like a great trip to me, offshore Tail hunting has it's flaws, yet if you find them game on. Most folks just settle for the skunk, your back up plan worked great and put food on the table. Fine job!

bachiboy
05-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Way to make the most of it out there. Those gas prices are crippling. Heck of a ghost and batch of rockfish you got on the backup plan! Thanks for sharing!

Don

webmaster
06-09-2013, 08:52 AM
yeah, total waste of gas. I bet that seabass tasted awful too...

Fishbones
06-09-2013, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=marzocchi;676325] We had live squid, which is must for seabass..QUOTE]

I wouldn't say a must, I caught my pig on stinky pink squid, who woulda thought...