PDA

View Full Version : Spring Sierras report and mystery fish

DC5fishR
05-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Last weekend, we stayed in mammoth and the weather was great..cold with sunny days and not too much wind. The sierras are always refreshing and just awesome.:Cool: I float tubed and shore fished lake Mary, George, Mamie, convict, and Crowley. Water temps were 51-55 deg. There was a decent amount of people fishing the shores. This time it was actually quality vs quantity, I got a 4 lber out of convict on a smoke colored atomic tube!:Razz: It was just an awesome drag peelin fight. I also got a solid 2-3 pounder and lost a decent one at lake Mary. Overall, I had the most fish on a ds red powerworm at lake Mary. The bites in general were very light and a lot of times short. Bang garlic and bite-on roe scents worked best.

I got one question though, this is the second time a saw a 15" tan with blackish stripe suckerlike fish swimming the shoreline at convict. I caught one about 4 years that was hanging around some trout close to shore. Anyone know what it is or catch something other than a trout there??

FSHNLIC
05-26-2013, 03:53 PM
mountain whitefish or chub

Sierra_Smitty
05-27-2013, 09:37 AM
The stripe would lead me to think its suckerfish. They have tons of them in Sabrina.

retired96
05-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Been fishing the Sierras over 50 years and have never caught or seen a mountain whitefish...

DC5fishR
05-28-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't think it was a chub or whitefish, I think it's a Tahoe sucker or possibly an Owens sucker, not sure though. I've caught mountain whitefish before in upper twin lakes Bridgeport, at least I think they were whitefish.

FSHNLIC
06-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I don't think it was a chub or whitefish, I think it's a Tahoe sucker or possibly an Owens sucker, not sure though. I've caught mountain whitefish before in upper twin lakes Bridgeport, at least I think they were whitefish.

Thats where ive caught my mountain whitefish

DC5fishR
06-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Thats where ive caught my mountain whitefish

Thanks for the confirmation

hamdenst
06-02-2013, 12:52 PM
sounds like a suckerfish. maybe about 10 years ago i was at sabrina and caught one. i was so puzzled, had no clue they existed in the lakes up there.

Slims
06-02-2013, 01:51 PM

Did the fish look like that? I have been told its a whitefish, and I have been told it is a tui chub. I dont know, but they sure fight like hell. I always get them while jigging for perch.

DC5fishR
06-02-2013, 10:59 PM

Did the fish look like that? I have been told its a whitefish, and I have been told it is a tui chub. I dont know, but they sure fight like hell. I always get them while jigging for perch.

Nah, it didn't look like that all, it looked totally different from a tui chub/mountain whitefish. Where'd you catch it at?

Slims
06-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I got that one out of gull

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
06-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Went to silver lake 2 months ago and my wife caught a carp..( have pics ) . not saying this is what u saw but it could be a possability.