PDA

View Full Version : 5/25 Pre Memorial Day Zoo - Wind - Lice - Fish!

DMS
05-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Figured that Saturday would be the best day to get out for more striper slays than Sunday or Monday... I know that this is Memorial Day weekend and I figured maybe I could get some fish on board before the lice took over the lake with their rude, dangerous and inconsiderate boating habits. Got to the lake about 5:20 and a decent line up was there, but some guy in a giant yellow rocket... er "boat" that look more like a cross between an indy car, a tank and the space shuttle was in the shoulder up by the campground turnout and the line was behind him. I got the boat ready to launch as four vehicles just drove on past the line and to the gate. Finally... enough and walked up the line of jet-ski rigs (mostly) with their lice captains sleeping in their rigs, much like larva waiting to transform into full grown lice. The yellow boat looked brand new and the "captain" (who was obviously compensating with that thing) was wearing spotless clothes (no fish blood or grease stains as in my slay-wear). I asked him if he could kindly pull up to the line as lots of folks were cutting in front of all of us in line. He said.... "OK" and soon enough the cutters were blocked... then on to the line to pay.

I don't know how it can take almost 12 minutes to pay $24 and drive into the lake, but yellow captain did and his buddy behind him was in a huge RV with a big boat that was dwarfed by yellow space shuttle took even longer. Finally after a half hour of folks counting pennies and at least three rigs (yayy for sending back jet-ski lice) took the walk of shame to the inspection station they missed despite a giant flashing highway sign explaining the inspection. At my turn to pay, lake manager says "you are going to try and fish.. TODAY?!". Bad Omen for sure! LOL I AM! Finally able to launch. In my typical quick, no nonsense fashion, I launched and straight away trolled out through the marina dragging my trollers for nada.

I noticed that despite the few boaters ahead of me, the lake seemed very peaceful as the green carp were breathing a sigh of relief that there was no tourney today! Headed to the bait spot and anchored up and went to work. Started kinda slow, but it sure was nice and peaceful... not much or no wind and very pleasant temp and the lice were all in the parking lot figuring out when they were going to invade the peaceful areas of the lake. Finally we got our first customer... solid fish, not a dink and we said hello to BassFan and Flyhigh123 who were getting started.

So, the fishing picked along and we lost, what was our biggest of the day (I think). Under the anchor after he wrapped me, so I got him out and then he tore off to the bow and got the line into some brush, structure or maybe an anchor rope and I could feel that the thing became a stalemate. He was still on for a bit as I tried to pull it out of the rocks and finally it came free, but the biggun earned his freedom this time.

Back to work and poured a cup a coffee as one of the rods went off in the holder like a tuna on the troll.... zzzzzzzzzz... jump up and we get a nice 5# fish. Lulu and I worked at it and got a double... or really back to back with 2 on the deck with lines and reset. Then the dinks showed up and we got about 8 of them as they stole our bait quite a lot. We had a visitor that anchored just outside us. He watched us in our biggest part of the bite. Spectator sport as I don't think he got anything... asked our bait and we could hear them talk about Twisted Sister and what not. finally he gave up.

As far as the lice, about the time the wind started pushing us around, the lice came in force. Jet Skiers pulling skiers and great big loud boats with a lot of people driving so fast that their wake was jumping into our boat. I know these guys have a right to enjoy the lake, but when you have a monster, speed boat with you family friends and concubines on board, why do you have to wake us quiet fishermen in our little aluminum boats. And then do it again. Finally, the wind pushed us into the muddy water area from the wakes and the waves and even the dinks slowed down. Anchor was holding on the bow, but the stern kept slipping a bit. so I tried to reset and it was apparent that the wind was not going to let me anchor where I wanted to and the lice were getting more and more fierce. We had a party to go to and 10 fish in the boat, so we headed in to try and get off the lake. We had 7 of the 2.5-5# range, 2 of the smaller, but keeper size, and one little dink that floated back to the surface mortally wounded. Not bad for getting to the dock by noon.

We had a wet run back as the wind was getting pretty bad and had jet-ski lice that were crossing in front of us going the wrong way as we were doing 24 knots. More wrong way folks. It was like Caddyshack. It is a shame that there will certainly be more accidents on this lake as so many of these folks are simply ignorant of the danger and the reality of their fun. I am happy to share the lake, but a bit of sensibility and consideration would make it great for all of us.

Back to the dock and it was full... waited for big boat to pull out and slid right in and tied up. Between me and the ramp was a 24' inboard that was up between my and my slot to pull out. I asked if they were coming or going and they weren't really sure as the wife had the drain plug in her hand. I looked and they were taking on quite a bit of water. I suggested the pull the boat out and drain it before it sinks. They said he was bringing the rig. So they get the trailer down to the water's edge and clip the winch rope, but this drive on trailer is out of the water and the boat has about 500 gallons of water and rising or sinking as the perspective might be. I again suggested the put the trailer in the water so the boat can get ON the trailer and not sinking in the Mid. Now the ladies are bailing with paper cups and one of them is in the lake trying to plug the drain from outside. their drain also required a wrench and was not screwable by hand. They were taking their now wet belongings and staking them on the dock. How they were going to do that underwater is beyond me. By now I had my rig at the top of the ramp and all my gear stowed for my freeway ride. Some other guys were in the water helping and again I tried again...

"Hey folks, your boat is going to be on the bottom of the lake if you don't put it ON the trailer and out of the water. Finally they figured that if your boat is sinking, you are not going to be able to have a picnic on the island in the sun and they backed the trailer down. As they pulled out, I yelled that their tie rope is still tied up to the dock. So at the water's edge, I witnessed what looked like the new powerplant as the water from the boat poured out. There were trout swimming up the stream. Anyway, the guy helping them informed them that their inboard motor unit's seal was gone and water is coming in and now out from the unit as well as the drain plug. "that's about $1,000 and you won't be far sinking with that problem". Now, if I could get them to pack their crap off the dock and pull up 30 feet, i can get out. After more time they finally moved up the ramp a few feet and I was out of there.

DMS

MarkyMark
05-26-2013, 08:01 AM
A successful trip despite the circumstances...Memorial Day weekend mayhem. Gotta love it!

MM

cutbait
05-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Trout swimming upstream.. hahaha..

FYI, those Jetski's making the Uturn after the gate are going back to the camp to sleep.

They pay early as the lake has a maximum boat limit. If they wait till noon to get on the water they are likely not going to be allowed on.

Fun report. You may wanna hit up the fish arm at Castaic to avoid these dweebs

TroutOnly
05-26-2013, 08:36 AM
LAKE-LICE-LARVA ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THATS FUNNY DAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOOKS LIKE YOU DID GOOD DESPITE THE LAKE LICE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

CAPT'N
05-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Great post,

Its really amazing more don't die at the mid.

Good job at getting some fish before the lice and loaded took over. On Friday we had big green rockets with music blaring doing speed runs within 30 ft of us at anchor, and lake lice doing donuts around us.

ALMOST WANT IT TO RAIN ON THE 8TH...............:Explode:

Capt'n

MikesOcean
05-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Good job DMS on the fish!

I agree it can be frustrating with the idiots! But I always try and not let it get to me.

FishingwithDave
05-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Is butyric acid water balloons an option for lake lice? Works for them Whale Wars folks. Just a thought. Several years ago, was trolling when a ski boat crosses our lines and catches my buddies line. Within seconds, 300 yards of line get sucked into this morons prop and shut his boat down. Normally, I would have felt bad and offered to help, but the lake lice had pissed me off so many times that day, we said F it and so we just kept going.

DMS
05-27-2013, 06:49 AM
LAKE-LICE-LARVA ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THATS FUNNY DAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOOKS LIKE YOU DID GOOD DESPITE THE LAKE LICE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,

Yep lake lice larva. Yes we had a great day! We got good fish and once the wind and lice start making it no so much fun, we bailed. I want to keep it fun and exciting and not scary for lulu because it is the best to have her as a fishin buddy. We catch fish and have fun together!

fishinone
05-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Nice report Dan,

I'm glad that you guys got them before the lice got you.

I'm sorry I missed you, I planned to be up there but that kept falling through.

DMS
05-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Nice report Dan,

I'm glad that you guys got them before the lice got you.

I'm sorry I missed you, I planned to be up there but that kept falling through.

Thanks and missed you out there too but it is good you had a good day at castaic!