PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid--5/24 Dink & Anchor Fest

MarkyMark
05-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Tough day today, although it's my 2nd trip since May 12. Did the bait & wait couldn't get past the dinks. Applied new anchoring techniques as discussed on the Boating board (added another Danforth & chain, got rid of mushroom anchor for stern). It worked really good especially with the increasing late morning/mid afternoon winds out in the main lake. I tried to wait it out for the bigger models to come through, & I was so pleased of sticking in my spot with the winds I didn't change spots. Well, it wasn't happening today after 4 hours in one spot & I tried to pull up anchor, I couldn't get the them up. What to do? Tried to break loose using 60hp Yamaha power, wasn't happening. I had just put together the stern setup last night (an old Danforth, 14ft truckers chain, & spliced 200ft of anchor rope I had stored in the garage). Decided to cut the stern rope to break free...headed home, fishless, one less anchor, but safe...Wow!!!

MM

MikesOcean
05-25-2013, 09:18 AM
I have to chime in on this one!

I myself had a tough day out yesterday as well!

Started my morning launching with a a cracked hose for the live well. Only to see water coming in the boat. Quickly remove boat and was going to call my cousin Rosamond Dan to cancel. Driving away I see Double AA approx 0630 and he says WOW quick limits? Thanks to double A he had the right plug for me. Sooo back out!

Launched and picked up semi quickly 2 on the troll.

Figured let me start looking for some bait spots before my cousin was coming at 10am. In the process I went through an Area with TONS of weeds all over the surface around the Island. All went inside the prop. Removing by hand wasn't enough. So I beached the boat, jumped in the water, removed prop and cleaned it out. So back out again. Anchored few spots with no love. Time to pick up my cousin.

We head out anchor in a spots and still no love. Last spot I pick up 1 dink. We go to pull anchor and Guess what?

WE LOST ANCHOR TOO!!! HAHAHA It's actually not that funny, but chit happens.

Don't feel bad, your day sounded better then mine! Sometimes you win some and sometimes you don't!

That place seems to change day by day for me.

Well good luck out there on your next trip too!!

Double A
05-25-2013, 09:29 AM
After I read MM's post I thought you had an FNN alias Mike. Sure sounded familiar to your day.

Looks like Friday was a tough day for all.

Next time we'll all get 'em.

Marky Mark, what were you in ?

MarkyMark
05-25-2013, 11:08 AM
After I read MM's post I thought you had an FNN alias Mike. Sure sounded familiar to your day.

Looks like Friday was a tough day for all.

Next time we'll all get 'em.

Marky Mark, what were you in ?

I have black/gold G3, I think I was fishing next to MikesOcean, I was on the back side of the island. How about you?

MM

Double A
05-25-2013, 11:25 AM
I think I saw you coming off the water.
I was in the tannish '80's Sea Nymph.

dk4885
05-25-2013, 11:42 AM

Don't you mean sex nymph

Double A
05-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Sex Nymph Party Animal

thanks a lot Cutbait.

MarkyMark
05-25-2013, 01:05 PM

Yup..How did you do?

TroutOnly
05-25-2013, 03:04 PM
I USE FRED FLINTSTONE ANCHORS,,,,,,,,,DONT FEEL BAD TWO DIFFERENT DAYS I LOST TWO AT A TIME,,,,DURING WIND STORMS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Double A
05-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Yup..How did you do?

I ended up with 5. I spent too much running around trying to hide from the wind and come up with some off the chart spots to avoid the masses for Striperfest.

CAPT'N
05-25-2013, 06:30 PM
I was out there Friday as well. Hit the Bait n Wait and immediately after setting up John aka captain castaic get hit with a drag peeler, and ultimately a broken line at the anchor rope. The rest of the mourning it was a dink fest. At 10:30 moved to another area, was right in the wind tunnel, but got 10 fish that were nice grade . Then the wind shifted and we blew off the spot. From 1 to 4 ----Nada!.

Left with 10.................Largest was just over 4 lbs,

Capt'n

dixoncider
05-26-2013, 04:19 AM
Add a "trip" to your anchors. You will get them back more often. Just make sure you can break your trip. Don't use heavy wire or something ..

dixoncider
05-26-2013, 04:21 AM
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/180164-breakaway-anchor-rig-pics.html
Found this.. Didn't read it all but the pics say enough..

cutbait
05-26-2013, 06:55 AM
I'm anchoring in 3 ft of water. Let the weeds grab my anchor. Reverse and pan out line till I'm where I need to be and drop second anchor.

Of course you have to drop the first anchor upwind where you want to fish.

Not all spots you can do this but fish are shallow so its a snap.

MarkyMark
05-26-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm anchoring in 3 ft of water. Let the weeds grab my anchor. Reverse and pan out line till I'm where I need to be and drop second anchor.

Of course you have to drop the first anchor upwind where you want to fish.

Not all spots you can do this but fish are shallow so its a snap.

Good strategy.

Are you using 2 danforths also? I wonder if you had any close calls with boats cutting your shallow anchor off.

MM

cutbait
05-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Good strategy.

Are you using 2 danforths also? I wonder if you had any close calls with boats cutting your shallow anchor off.

MM
Danforth to grab the weed line, mushroom for back.

I'm fishing too near shore for boaters to get between me and shore.

MarkyMark
05-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Danforth to grab the weed line, mushroom for back.

I'm fishing too near shore for boaters to get between me and shore.

Got it. Do you have a chain on the mushroom? I've been using that setup for the past 5 years until the last time out. Maybe I wasn't anchoring the Danforth good enough

MM