PDA

View Full Version : What's hitting our of Newport landing?

KidTrout
05-24-2013, 10:06 PM
I might go on a 1/2 day PM on Sunday in hopes for some Calicos and sand bass. Are they hitting good right now? Also I heard they are getting a few yellowtail even on a half day, is that true? I really don't want to rockfish it's just boring so any info you know would help. Thanks.

titos334
05-24-2013, 10:14 PM
I'd get on a dana 1/2 day or twilight for some bass. It's been decent, lots of shorts caught and if you work for it you can get some real nice legals. 3" swim baits on a 1/4 or 3/8 lead head have been money for me this past week. Fly line chovies get bit, deans get the bigger ones. I usually prefer to throw on a sliding or rubber core sinker 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce to sink the dean down in the kelp line to get bit.

KidTrout
05-24-2013, 10:26 PM
I'd get on a dana 1/2 day or twilight for some bass. It's been decent, lots of shorts caught and if you work for it you can get some real nice legals. 3" swim baits on a 1/4 or 3/8 lead head have been money for me this past week. Fly line chovies get bit, deans get the bigger ones. I usually prefer to throw on a sliding or rubber core sinker 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce to sink the dean down in the kelp line to get bit.

I have a 50% off coupon for Newport that's why I'm going there. What color swim baits are providing best?

titos334
05-24-2013, 10:41 PM
I've been using big hammer seniorita, Halloween, anchovy and baitfish. I've used some flukes in a green w/black flake and a silvery color as well on a 3/8th red head. They bite just as often on the drop as they do the retrieve.

KidTrout
05-24-2013, 10:46 PM
I've been using big hammer seniorita, Halloween, anchovy and baitfish. I've used some flukes in a green w/black flake and a silvery color as well on a 3/8th red head. They bite just as often on the drop as they do the retrieve.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get some legal size ones to cook up on Monday.

titos334
05-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Good luck, hope the captain targets the bass

WAHBAM
05-25-2013, 12:50 AM
I was there on Tuesday with my coupon too haha. The calico were biting like crazy off the anchovies with a carolina rig, but I couldn't get any legals. Biggest I saw was 17 inches that day.