PDA

View Full Version : They are bitting but it's a grind 5-24-13

prankster13
05-24-2013, 01:27 PM
First boat in line today and it was perfect, over cast and cool. The gates opened at 5:30 and I was on the lake at 5:45. First cast with a spinner bait I get bit hard with a nice fish, it comes off at the boat. 100 cast later on a different part of the lake I stick about a 2+ on a blade. It's getting harder to put the blade were I want due to all the long grass growing in the lake now. Not a bad thing though because I got a frog out and managed a few more fish that were up under the floating grass, what a thrill to see them bust open the grass to get the little black frog. The water is in the 70's all over the lake but it is slimmed up a bit from the algae. I left at 9:30 and it was a beautiful day of fishing.40920

TheTrueFisherman
05-25-2013, 12:16 AM
It is definitely a grind compared to how the bite was this time last year but there are still fish biting and they bit well today for me. I managed over 25 fish and lost a monster in the trees. Fishing a light T-Rig far more aggressively then i normally fish anything at DVL. The senko bite was off the wall a few weeks ago and i hooked some real quality bass including a dd that slipped the hook sadly. I will be leaving California in about a week so i will likely not fish DVL again unless i come out in a rental to visit. My two cents after fishing the lake for about 3 years is the fish are in transition mode now with the water level dropping...they may get caught close to shore as they were a few weeks ago during the drop(if they don't compensate fast enough)...but expect to see drastic depth changes during this period. All of you who get to fish the lake once the water level is down are probably in for some of the best fishing DVl has seen in some time. It is definitely the toughest lake i have fished but very rewarding when you get it dialed. It has taught me so much about fishing and i plan on taking these skills to Ohio to smash on the fish out there. Anyone fishing DVL just needs to stay motivated and try any and all approaches until you find whats working. I promise it will make you a better fisherman. Good luck to all of you and i hope those that have been hunting a true dd hook up soon. It's been a pleasure to fish at the lake and i wish you all nothing but the very best fishing experiences.

ddoskocil
05-25-2013, 07:21 AM
It's been fun fishing with you. Good luck out there, we'll keep grinding it out here!