PDA

View Full Version : Do surf perch bite at night?

LbcLakers
05-22-2013, 08:20 PM
I'll end up targeting surf perch (and whatever else bites) at night anyways, just wondering if its as good a bite at night as it is in the morning high tide. Never surf fished at night either, any precautions?

PTN
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Yes they bite at night. Not sure how good the bite is though because I'm usually aiming for halibut. I notice my bites at night have been the same as day though but could be just my luck. Precaution is bring a flashlight! Best is a headlamp that's bright. Watch for big swells and if I remember anything else, I'll try to reply here.

-Peter

LbcLakers
05-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Yes they bite at night. Not sure how good the bite is though because I'm usually aiming for halibut. I notice my bites at night have been the same as day though but could be just my luck. Precaution is bring a flashlight! Best is a headlamp that's bright. Watch for big swells and if I remember anything else, I'll try to reply here.

-Peter

thanks for the pointers, got to get some new batteries in my headlamp. Might head out there tomorrow or Friday for sure.

Homefish
05-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Don't know if they bite @ night, but just caught my PB 14"-14".5 BSP right after sunset on Monday. Good luck!
Homefish

bachiboy
05-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Yes, they absolutely bite at nite. I've caught perch throughout the night when I've fished "bucket brigade" perch derbies back in the day. The main thing is to, just like during the day, target them around the high tide. One thing I did notice is that they are more lethargic, in what they bite and how they fight. They bite better on bait, of course, since the artificials requires sight vs. smell I'm sure, although I have caught them on crack at night. The fight is seems more like dead weight at night also. Like Peter said, make sure you have GOOD light. When fishing bait, with the rod sitting in sand spikes, we used to tape the small glow in the dark light sticks (1 1/2" or so long) to the rod tip to see the "perch nibbles"...saves the batteries on your lights so you don't have to keep them pointed at the rods. Good luck out there and be careful!