PDA

View Full Version : Swimbait Setup

Perris_holic
05-22-2013, 04:14 PM
I plan on buying a curado 300e to throw 6-8 in hudds, s-wave, dead horse super glide and baby glide, but I dont know which rod to get to throw them on. Which rod would you guys recommend? Thanks for any advice.

DarkShadow
05-23-2013, 09:56 AM
What's your budget?

Don't want to recommend a MB White Python by accident :-D

Serg
05-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Hey Perris, I want to get the same thing. Let me know what you pair it with.

Perris_holic
05-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Up to around 260 I believe.

Perris_holic
05-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Hey Perris, I want to get the same thing. Let me know what you pair it with.

No prob broski

bassoholic
05-23-2013, 11:25 AM
I plan on buying a curado 300e to throw 6-8 in hudds, s-wave, dead horse super glide and baby glide, but I dont know which rod to get to throw them on. Which rod would you guys recommend? Thanks for any advice.

Something like 7'11" Heavy Crucial works or XH or any rod up to 5-7 ounces. You're Hudds at ROF 16's are around 6 ounces.

Perris_holic
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
So what happens if you have a rod rated 3-10 ounces but you were to tie on say a 1.5oz swimbait?

bassoholic
05-23-2013, 11:43 AM
So what happens if you have a rod rated 3-10 ounces but you were to tie on say a 1.5oz swimbait?

Nothing "happens" you still could do it. It will just be on the stiffer side. It will still work. That's why the biggest I get is up to 7 ounces. I can throw hudds, TT's, Deps, and 8 inch Punkers all on the same setup. Smaller baits like 1-3 ounces I generally us MH rods.

gogreeenz4
05-23-2013, 11:48 AM
weight ratings are just a general estimate or suggestion as to what the rod can hold.. for example i have a XH guide select rated for 2-10 oz baits but i think its a little to soft to throw baits like my ss 250 owhich is only 6.5-7 oz. you have to feel the stiffness of the rod and understand it qualities you cant really rely on the rating to find the best rod granited it helps but its not the only thing to consider when buying a rod.

and for the question above if the rod is rated 3-10 oz and you throw a 1.5 oz bait think about it like this: do you own a jig rod or something along those lines? what happend when you throw a bait on that jig rod that is less wieght then the rods "ratings" suggest ? in my case my guide select i feel is softer then rated therefor the small bait would work fine but if a rod seems to be stiffer then rated it may not work out so good so in short it all boils down to the rod that you throw that 1.5 oz bait on.. best of luck with your search and rember suggestions are great but experminatation is key!

Frequent Flyer
05-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Im going to say dobyns 807

Socalbassmaster
05-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Since ur not generally gona throw heavy baits or big swimbaits just med size baits i would recomend a phenix M1 heavy action 8ft. the rod is rated 1-6oz and is soft enough for smaller swimbaits like the s-waver but can still easly handle a Rof 12 8inch hudd. its an affordable rod with a lot of style and is great for mutiple swimbaits and u csn make pretty long casts with it. oh yea the rod is super light in weight. U can order one from Tackle warehouse and it will be at ur house or job thr next day. here is the URl

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Phenix_M1_Swimbait_Casting_Rods/descpage-PMSS.html

DarkShadow
05-23-2013, 03:17 PM
6-8 in hudds, s-wave, dead horse super glide and baby glide

You know, that's a wide variety of weights that you've just listed.

In that case, I would rather have a heavier rod and have the smaller baits feel over powered, than having a lighter rod and having your 8 Hudds feel under powered.

My choice?

A Dobyns Champion Series, 806 ML SB.

That'll allow you to be able to throw the 6" Hudds and smaller baits, but at the same time, not letting the 8" Hudds, 10" Triple Trouts, etc. feel underpowered.

Good luck!

gogreeenz4
05-23-2013, 03:53 PM
In that case, I would rather have a heavier rod and have the smaller baits feel over powered, than having a lighter rod and having your 8 Hudds feel under powered.

!

Hit the nail on the head!!! If you have to choice on eather side i would go stiffer!! rods get softer over time and i dont think a 1-6oz rod could handle a 8 inch hudd considering my xh 2-10 doesnt handle a 8 inch hudd as well as id like it to.. Go heavier

Perris_holic
05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Ok so there ended up being a change of plans. I bought a 807 and I am going to put a abu garcia c3 that I have in the garage on there for now. So now I am looking for recommendations for a reel or do you guys think that the curado 300e is still a good choice?