PDA

View Full Version : MPA closures... Help understanding PLEASE

Dci4me
05-21-2013, 07:08 PM
So I have decided to give this whole surf fishing "thing" a whirl... Probably seeing all these amazing posts from SWAT and others has got the best of me, and worst of my pocket book. So this week I picked up a Pluton, Crucial Crankbait rod, and a half dozen LC's. Next, I begin to look at the coastline via Google Maps and start to pick out the spots I would like to hit. I am really liking all the coves that aren't near "sandy" beaches. Lots of rocks and turbulence. Then I go to look at the MPA closures and guess what? Well, you already know..... When I look at the closures via the DFG website, it appears that all these spots are on there.

I was interested in areas such as the Palos Verdes shelf, and those that have similar structure. Anyone know of a good resource or detailed map that has lamens terms on it? Where "hook and line" fishing IS allowed? I was planning on going out this Saturday at grey light. Anywhere from about Dana Point up to Long Beach.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
05-21-2013, 07:27 PM
If you grab a saltwater rule book, can be fund at most fishing stores, the is a map of where you can and can't go on the back of it.

Dci4me
05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
"Take of all living marine resources is prohibited" = no catch and release?

JL
05-21-2013, 10:21 PM
I agree with first reply. Get the closure book or you can also access the closures on line at Dfg. Some great areas in Palos Verde and also around crystal cove are all off limits now. Need to travel farther and in some cases walk further to get to the good surf fishing areas. Plenty of help on this forum under the surf fishing section.

PTN
05-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Wish I could help but these DFW regulations confuse me and I've heard of others actually asking DFW wardens/officers and gotten mixed responses. They are confused as us almost...:LOL: There are loopholes and stuff but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe try calling in to see if you can get a reply.

As for the '"Take of all living marine resources is prohibited" = no catch and release?', there's an explanation of "take" on the website.

"Take (Section 86, Fish and Game Code and Title 14 Section 650) means pursue, catch, capture, or kill, or attempt to pursue, catch, capture, or kill."

So that means no catch and release I think.

-Peter

Dci4me
05-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Sir Snags a lot & JL - Thanks for the responses. I downloaded off the DFG website the full MPA booklet.

PTN - That's exactly what I got when I read their definition of "take." I had a similar experience with Riverside SO when I called to ask if a certain area was city, county or public land for shooting purposes. The officer assured me it was public land and safe for shooting. Well after a BLM officer came out and informed us we were shooting on city land.... he could barely place where we were on a map. Cool BLM officer though. Could have took all the weapons but just told us "I have to go to another call, I'll be back in a few hours. Don't be here."

This weekend I will just play it safe and go where I know is safe. Get my feet wet....