PDA

View Full Version : Trash Trout and Bait on Southern California Streams

Calicanuck
05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
I hope most of the guys here already know that keeping the resource clean is important. Here is a little video clip I made from some findings on a local California Stream the other day. Disappointing for sure!

http://youtu.be/SlAg9ng0XvI

Calicanuck

bowler
05-21-2013, 06:34 PM
I hope most of the guys here already know that keeping the resource clean is important. Here is a little video clip I made from some findings on a local California Stream the other day. Disappointing for sure!

http://youtu.be/SlAg9ng0XvI

Calicanuck

well with all your post on how to fish, are you surpise that there is trash in the places you fish now.

Egster
05-21-2013, 11:33 PM
well with all your post on how to fish, are you surpise that there is trash in the places you fish now.

Calicanuck, don't let this guy's comment discourage you. There must be many, and I for one, appreciate your educating fishing videos. We all could do our part of teaching others about proper catch and release as well as bring along a trash bag to clean up after yourself and others. Let your example lead the way.

Calicanuck
05-22-2013, 01:23 AM

People have been fishing since the dawn of time, far longer than my short years on the planet. The trash was there long before I ever arrived to these fishing locals. Fishing related trash can be found anywhere fish are caught. Even remote lakes and streams where I've fished in Canada show the impacts of careless fisherman and discarded bait containers on the banks. Education makes people more informed, more intelligent. It makes them less likely to commit crime and encourages them to respect the natural resources we have. Ignorance is destructive and I can't support ignorance. I hope to help people appreciate what an amazing thing we have in the great outdoors and with time they may start to clean up too!

So in other words Mr. Bowler, even though you directly attribute all atrocities in California fishing to my videos, I really can't see your point of view.

Thanks for your comments.

bowler
05-22-2013, 01:43 AM
People have been fishing since the dawn of time, far longer than my short years on the planet. The trash was there long before I ever arrived to these fishing locals. Fishing related trash can be found anywhere fish are caught. Even remote lakes and streams where I've fished in Canada show the impacts of careless fisherman and discarded bait containers on the banks. Education makes people more informed, more intelligent. It makes them less likely to commit crime and encourages them to respect the natural resources we have. Ignorance is destructive and I can't support ignorance. I hope to help people appreciate what an amazing thing we have in the great outdoors and with time they may start to clean up too!

So in other words Mr. Bowler, even though you directly attribute all atrocities in California fishing to my videos, I really can't see your point of view.

Thanks for your comments.
I have fished that creek for years. But you are showing ppl how to fish fish these streams. don't get me wrong your video are nice but just don't say where you are.

TimelessFSR
05-22-2013, 07:03 AM
I have fished that creek for years. But you are showing ppl how to fish fish these streams. don't get me wrong your video are nice but just don't say where you are.

You got it twisted man...people shouldn't be dumping their crap anywhere they feel like it....streams, lakes, beaches, parks, sidewalks...etc

Most likely, many of the polluters don't even watch his videos or are even on the forum

btw....great vid again Calicanuck :Thumbs Up:

teejay
05-22-2013, 12:03 PM

However,finding the dead fish in association with the bait containers perhaps tempered the decision in not naming the stream in the last instructional video.

gogreeenz4
05-22-2013, 01:48 PM
your videos could be the best and worst thing on this forum..More people know about the stream=More Trash that will be found at the stream

Dont get me wrong your videos are killer to say the least but maybe withhold the name of the area as mentioned before..PS your Underwater footage is SWEEEEET stuff!

Calicanuck
05-22-2013, 04:51 PM
your videos could be the best and worst thing on this forum..More people know about the stream=More Trash that will be found at the stream

Dont get me wrong your videos are killer to say the least but maybe withhold the name of the area as mentioned before..PS your Underwater footage is SWEEEEET stuff!

I understand that some people are concerned about the naming of specific water bodies, so in the last two videos I didn't name the water bodies out of respect for their suggestions.

I will mention if I'm fishing in Southern California or the San Bernardino National Forest which covers a huge area. There are many streams in this area that hold fish. Some easy to get to and some worth the hike! This information is all readily available even though some people think it is still a big secret.

shiromaguro88
05-22-2013, 05:15 PM
We live in the information age. Almost everyone has a smartphone that literally guides you to some of these spots using gps. You can just use google earth to scout these spots. If someone wants to find these spots they will. I'd like to think there are secret spots but those days are gone.

Skyler
05-22-2013, 07:02 PM
http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/a9d69fdee219c807e0cc91cb3271ccb1/http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n564/coasterguy666/oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg

WARRIORMIKE
05-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Better to flyfish in those creeks.......

carpanglerdude
05-23-2013, 12:58 AM
We live in the information age. Almost everyone has a smartphone that literally guides you to some of these spots using gps. You can just use google earth to scout these spots. If someone wants to find these spots they will. I'd like to think there are secret spots but those days are gone.

Secret spots still exists...shhhhh...

Great vid, as always, Calicanuk!

bowler
05-23-2013, 11:11 PM
I understand that some people are concerned about the naming of specific water bodies, so in the last two videos I didn't name the water bodies out of respect for their suggestions.

I will mention if I'm fishing in Southern California or the San Bernardino National Forest which covers a huge area. There are many streams in this area that hold fish. Some easy to get to and some worth the hike! This information is all readily available even though some people think it is still a big secret.
I see that but if you look at you first video to the last video of fishing the stream you can see it is the same place. And in your video in big bear you were using power bait and letting the trout go but that is alright because you calicanuck and it is alright for you to use power bait and let fish go after you catch them. So you can not get mad at ppl for doing the samething.

Calicanuck
05-24-2013, 12:18 AM
You got me, I'm inconsistent.

Just to clarify: I'm not mad at people, just sad to see trash and dead fish left behind in the stream.

bowler
05-24-2013, 12:27 AM
You got me, I'm inconsistent.

Just to clarify: I'm not mad at people, just sad to see trash and dead fish left behind in the stream.

want to see a trash stream go up to Azusa and go on the west fork. that place gets trash. I'm sorry if you feel I'm picking on you. Put you see what we are saying. I have my secret spots up in big bear where I have caught bass to trout but I don't say where it is because the place will get trashed. And I have my favorite surf fishing spots that I try not to say where it is because I don't want it to get trash.

michaelk
06-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Wow! Most people have been shown these spots by friends family or just cool people. Few have been Lewis and Clark, and if you did you got wind of the place and started asking questions of locals, bait shops, and other fisherman. Sure once you got dialed in you started finding spots, but you didn't go in blind.
so keep your "hotspots to yourselves, but fisherman have been helping fisherman since I can remember.

Sad to see all the anger. These are public lands, and if the public doesn't get involved the State or the Government do and ban use. It will only take one purple spotted, black oak ringed, double horned, toothless crap fish to get it completely unfishable, because its endangered.

Trash and liter is just another sign of ignorance, and it has been go on since people have been make'in stuff. I have run into litter since 1960, it is just how some people were raised, I was at Silverwood in "my secret spot" and to my surprise there is a huge family there came by watercraft, fire going on the beach, food, ice chest (s), beer wine weed parrrrrrrrrrrrrrty on, music going with big base, big bounce so they were annoying as hell from the get go! Hey party on, but really the music that was B S.

They just packed everything except for the trash and drove away. A whole cove!

So I get where your coming from. I just think it sucks that cool people have to go do all the research from scratch because of it.

Part of the California culture. Same thing as when breaking down on the side of the road, go to other states and 25 people stop to see if your OK if not more.

I asked my dad why that was when I was a kid, he said its the people. He was right.

Fisherman helping fisherman or all our fishing rights will go the way the off road thing did. Its much better if we are proactive that reactive.

And that ends my rant. Hello my name is Michael. Just so you know it if you want to hate me, or better yet reach out and say hello.

Michael