PDA

View Full Version : Weekend after Memorial Day in the Siierras....

Ultralight
05-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Quick question. Pardon the basic questions as my visits to the Sierras in the past have always been in the fall. (Gorgeous time!)

Anyways, would I be correct to assume that the Sierras have a significant bump in visitors for fishing over Memorial day? And do they stock the lakes especially for that weekend? Instead of joining the crowds, I am thinking of going up there the weekend after memorial day. Do they stock for that weekend or would there be a lull in stocking?

I'm sure this is a basic question for those of you who know the Sierras well. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Thanks,
UL

Joshua
05-18-2013, 08:47 PM
I have no official evidence to support my theory. I have fished the Sierras the week leading up to Memorial Day for about 10 years. It is my theory that DFG would stock extra heavy for the additional crowds. Seemed like basic economics. Put in more fish so the people are happy, they come back the following year and bring $$$$ into the local economy. It is all about the dollars.
I know the Bishop Creek drainage used to have the Adopt-A-Creek program that would plant Alpers for Memorial Day. DFG has a set stocking schedule but I have heard of them sending an extra truck to certain areas to plant extra fish. I have seen the trucks and talked to the DFG guys on the truck. So I guess I do have actual evidence.
The week after Memorial Day will have lighter crowds but all the waters will have seen heavy crowds. There are always fish to be caught. However, your honey hole that usually has 30 planted fish, may have only a couple very skittish survivors.
With the light snow pack this might be your season to explore some back country waters.

Quick question. Pardon the basic questions as my visits to the Sierras in the past have always been in the fall. (Gorgeous time!)

Anyways, would I be correct to assume that the Sierras have a significant bump in visitors for fishing over Memorial day? And do they stock the lakes especially for that weekend? Instead of joining the crowds, I am thinking of going up there the weekend after memorial day. Do they stock for that weekend or would there be a lull in stocking?

I'm sure this is a basic question for those of you who know the Sierras well. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Thanks,
UL

big fish08
05-19-2013, 10:06 AM
I'll be up there this memorial weekend so i'll let you know! Will probably hit Convict, June, and some others.

shutupandfish
05-19-2013, 08:11 PM
They do stock that weekend usually , I'm going up that weekend with a large group and we always do well no matter what weekend it is . I think the key to constantly being moving spots and you will eventually come across a pool with plenty of stockers if that's is what your looking for. If I was you I would fish south lake in the morning and afternoon and mid day I would be working the creek belong both Sabrina and South lake . Good luck up there if you want I will be at Creekside rv Park in campsite F if you want to share reports with each other while we are both up there.

pc2mac
05-20-2013, 09:50 AM
We always go in June and usually experience our best fishing during this time. The big crowds for the summer usually don't showing up until the July 4th weekend. If you can get up in the first half of June before school gets out, the crowds should be light. Good luck!

IncredibleHuck
05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Past few years Memorial Day weekend hasnt been to bad.

Tfisherman
05-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Heading up next week also, I checked the stocking reports they are stocking this week and not the next hope there are a few left overs for next week.