PDA

View Full Version : TheJewel was Pretty Kind

donknoles
05-17-2013, 09:22 PM
The Jewel was been pretty kind last week. My brother and I were able to launch the Ranger for a day of fishing last Wednesday and we managed to avoid the skunk. I fully expected to befriend the character, but that didn't happen. I managed to land eight and my brother landed his twelve.

The water temperature was 70 to 71 degrees. The weather and wind conditions were near perfect. I used drop shot, hideki, and wacky. My bother remained true to the wacky style on #4 hook while I used a #2. We both mostly put on a pro senko of a watermelon or green pumpkin color. In the morning I put a leach on the drop shot and later used 5" Robo worms of morning dawn, and red crawler. I tried 6" worms or oxblood and cinnamon on the hideki and caught a few. Most of our depths were around 16 to 20 ft. The wind was at 1.5 to 2.0 mph: just enough for good drifting and keep things cool.

We first headed toward the north side of the lake and worked a few points and humps toward the saddle dam area. We later ended up on the west dam and later skipped over to Rawson Cove. Although we didn't find a "hot spot" we would catch a couple at a spot and then move on. Each spot spot gave enough action to keep our spirits up and make a most pleasant day on DVL. The majority of the bass were of medium size (1-1/2 to 2 lb), but a "ball to catch" anyway. I will gladly take this kind of a day anytime.

Socalbassmaster
05-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Great report guys. sounds like a lot of fun but what is a hideki? Never of that is it a rig or somethin

maki909
05-17-2013, 11:32 PM
im pretty sure its another name for the neko rig/ dick rig.

Dr. MindBendo
05-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Nice job guys. You're going to make the young bucks jealous.

HawgZWylde
05-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Awesome day guys, Congrats!

Thanks for the report...

HawgZWylde
05-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Great report guys. sounds like a lot of fun but what is a hideki? Never of that is it a rig or somethin

It's a technique that was created in Japan called a neko rig. Hideki Maeda is the Japanese angler who made it popular in the USA. Basically it's a wacky rigged stick-bait with a nail weight stuck in one end...

HawgZWylde
05-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Nice job guys. You're going to make the young bucks jealous.

Haha, the young bucks should never be jealous of something gained by wisdom...

TroutOnly
05-19-2013, 06:56 AM
looks like them boys know how to fish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,

HuskerRod
05-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Good job, fellas. Nice quality of fish and neat pics.

skunkmaster
05-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the great report and pictures!

Jman1974
05-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Wow nice fish, the second to last fish has the markings of a smallmouth but the color and body of a largie. They must be cross breading. I know they do in Havasu. Cool looking fish.

chompot
05-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Wow nice fish, the second to last fish has the markings of a smallmouth but the color and body of a largie. They must be cross breading. I know they do in Havasu. Cool looking fish.

Looks like a normal largemouth to me. Do you have a link to the study showing largemouth and smallmouth are cross breeding in Havasu?

Cross breeding CAN happen in the wild, but is very rare. If it is happening in Havasu I would definitely like to see the study the biologists wrote.