PDA

View Full Version : Surf fishing help?

fishnfreak1966
05-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Thinkin of heading to Sunset beach tomarrow morning. I could use some tips on the area?

PTN
05-17-2013, 01:41 PM
What kind of tips are you looking for?

It's a popular beach for fishing and does have a good variety of fish. Depends what you are aiming for or what you are planning to use...

-Peter

fishnfreak1966
05-19-2013, 06:57 AM
I have been using just camo sand worms. I just recently purchased some LC's and want to get the feel for them. I love looking at all the reports from the SWAT team. That group sure has a handle on techniques in the surf. I wish I knew where you guys go. I think its further north than the OC but always consistant on slaying the butts & perch. Keep up the reports SWAT members they are always great to read and very inspiring.

PTN
05-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Hope you did ok at sunset. Camo sand worms is a great bait to start off with for surf fishing. Just a carolina rig it with 1/4 to 3/4 oz depending on current and swells. Slow retrieve and make sure to keep in contact with bait to feel the nibbles. I usually would just set the hook right away if I feel a nibble. If it doesn't set, most likely a small fish. Just start targeting structure such as trenches and holes with the sand worm until you get used to it and that way you have more confidence in throwing the LC.

Sunset beach is pretty much a sandy beach and can get slopey with high tide and swells. There can be good times with the LC there and bad times. Just throw, throw, throw. And SWAT guys are up and down Socal. :Cool: Most try to fish local beaches to them unless they feel adventurous and make a drive. :Big Grin: Don't exclude OC beaches.. they produced really well for me. I do get skunks though. Good luck and check out the other posts. Some good advice in them from other guys and even check old posts like years ago. :Smile: Reading helps but putting time on the water is the biggest thing.

Use the search feature on this forum and if you feel like you can't find it, feel free to ask questions and most guys are willing to help here on FNN.

dross99_si
05-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Do any of you SWAT guys fish up in the Oxnard/Ventura area? Not asking for your exact AOs, but trying to get a general idea of where you guys spend most of your time. It's tough for me to get out very often as I live about 100 miles from the beach. I'd love to fish with you guys one day though..
-Andy

PTN
05-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Do any of you SWAT guys fish up in the Oxnard/Ventura area? Not asking for your exact AOs, but trying to get a general idea of where you guys spend most of your time. It's tough for me to get out very often as I live about 100 miles from the beach. I'd love to fish with you guys one day though..
-Andy

Yep got a couple of guys that live and fish near there. Most of us will stay local if we can. Set aside a date for HG5 on September 28th and come out! You can meet all the SWAT guys as well as other experienced fishermen and get a chance to win free stuff! Wingnut will post more details as the date gets closer. You can even win a guided trip with one of the SWAT members. Bring your family and friends as the motto is family, friends, fun, and fishing. It's a great time on the water with great food and prizes.

Hope you can work something out and there are some nice spots up that way to fish. I've only fished up there once and that was about 2 years ago. I don't think I even remember how to get there...:LOL:

-Peter

dross99_si
05-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Yeah I'd love to attend HG5 man. I'll try my best to make it. Maybe I can get my wife to come along as well. Hey, if you ever decide to venture up towards Oxnard/Ventura send me a PM and maybe I can meet you. I fish there most often because it's the quickest beach for me to get to as I take the canyon from Lancaster to Santa Clarita and shoot out the 126. But I'd be down to meet up and fish with you guys wherever. Thanks for the reply and keep those awesome reports coming!
-Andy

Oh yeah, where exactly is HG5 gonna be held?

PTN
05-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Yeah I'd love to attend HG5 man. I'll try my best to make it. Maybe I can get my wife to come along as well. Hey, if you ever decide to venture up towards Oxnard/Ventura send me a PM and maybe I can meet you. I fish there most often because it's the quickest beach for me to get to as I take the canyon from Lancaster to Santa Clarita and shoot out the 126. But I'd be down to meet up and fish with you guys wherever. Thanks for the reply and keep those awesome reports coming!
-Andy

Oh yeah, where exactly is HG5 gonna be held?

Will do Andy. Not sure it will be any time soon since it's quite a drive over that way for me but I'll try to remember if I do. :Smile: As for HG5, think the guys and ladies are still planning and reconning a good place to go. Got to consider how far and easily accessible it is for everyone and how the conditions look that day, etc.