PDA

View Full Version : Wader question....

FishinUSA
05-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good pair of waders in the $100-150 range?

Does anyone have or know anything about the hodgman sawbill waders? I saw them on amazon for $143 and they look good but had mixed reviews.

Wingnut
05-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Good price on a decent pair of boot foot waders. :Wink:

http://www.hodgman.com/Hodgman%C2%AE-Cedar-Run%E2%84%A2-Chest-Wader/1280243,default,pd.html#start=15&sz=12

Fishingkid97
05-19-2013, 04:59 PM
I have a pair of Frogg tiff hellbenders and love them there breathable very confortable and nice front pockets check them out I got mine for $129

EfrenM
05-19-2013, 05:58 PM
hey this might help at sports authority Allen waders are 75% off i got three pairs or 25 buks each just ask to mach the online price

skunked4life
05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Go to SA now...i went three nights ago to the three in my area and they were out of my size. The boot foot waders are $19.97 and the sock ones are $24.97. They only have s and xxl online. This info is courtesy of S.W.A.T. Member Jaysuun.

Happy hunting.

DarkShadow
05-20-2013, 01:47 PM
My experience with waders is you get what you pay for.

My first pair were a pair of Hodgeman Waderlites that I got on clearance on the Hodgeman site for about $50. They lasted me exactly 6 trips before a seam started leaking. Because those 6 trips were scattered between a period of a year and a half, I could not use the warranty.

My second pair were a pair of Reddington Palix River waders that I got on sale for about $100. They lasted me exactly 10 trips before the bootie started leaking. Because those trips were scattered between a period of a year and a half, I also could not use the warranty.

I've invested $150 so far in waders, and the end result is having 2 pairs of leaky waders that I cannot repair. Because am hiking and doing more than just wading in the water with them on, I wish I had invested in some Simms from the start.

Having said that, I'm sure if you aren't using the waders and actually hiking in them, and tripping over boulders, or running full speed from rattlesnakes through the bush with them, I don't think you'd need top of the line waders. But if you tend to travel the uncharted path, consider making an investment NOW, instead of doing what I did.

seal
05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
My experience with waders is you get what you pay for.

My first pair were a pair of Hodgeman Waderlites that I got on clearance on the Hodgeman site for about $50. They lasted me exactly 6 trips before a seam started leaking. Because those 6 trips were scattered between a period of a year and a half, I could not use the warranty.

My second pair were a pair of Reddington Palix River waders that I got on sale for about $100. They lasted me exactly 10 trips before the bootie started leaking. Because those trips were scattered between a period of a year and a half, I also could not use the warranty.

I've invested $150 so far in waders, and the end result is having 2 pairs of leaky waders that I cannot repair. Because am hiking and doing more than just wading in the water with them on, I wish I had invested in some Simms from the start.

Having said that, I'm sure if you aren't using the waders and actually hiking in them, and tripping over boulders, or running full speed from rattlesnakes through the bush with them, I don't think you'd need top of the line waders. But if you tend to travel the uncharted path, consider making an investment NOW, instead of doing what I did.

You are correct. I've bought 2 pair from Hodgemen's online discounted and both failed extremely fast one of them was to the point of ridiculous how many breaks in the waders basically occurred at the same time. I've owned countless waders and stupidly I still purchase a lot of BPS models my latest pair has seems around the pockets ripping and if I got to deep I get a leak in the pocket, they are less than 10 trips in and because of my experiences I do not hike in those I use an older pair that I've repaired to hike in.

It's just damn hard to spend a couple hundred bucks, even 150 on a pair of waders besides a 100 bucks SHOULD get you a pair that lasts a while!!!!!!!!!!

DarkShadow
05-20-2013, 02:50 PM
It's just damn hard to spend a couple hundred bucks, even 150 on a pair of waders besides a 100 bucks SHOULD get you a pair that lasts a while!!!!!!!!!!

You're telling me! I knew that the Hodgeman's wouldn't last, especially if I got them at $50, but the MSRP for THAT type of quality was pretty ridiculous. It wasn't a small hole that was created. The entire SEAM fell apart. It felt like I had lost control of my bladder midway through the day, and losing control of my bladder only happens when heavy use of Jack Daniels is involved.

Then, I thought that buying $150 waders would suffice, but even the Redington's failed after some use. Yes, the leak is a lot smaller, but it still feels like my leg pissed itself.

My next pair? These bad boys:

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7015/simmsg3guidestockingfoo.jpg

If there's two things that I need in my life, it's a good woman by my side and a good pair of waders that don't leak.

City Dad
05-21-2013, 01:31 PM
I've never been 100% satisfied with any waders I've ever purchased... so, now, I just spray down by naked lower half with FlexSeal before hitting the beach.

DarkShadow
05-21-2013, 01:45 PM
... so, now, I just spray down by naked lower half with FlexSeal before hitting the beach.

Dude, i just ate lunch. :Confused:

seal
05-21-2013, 03:11 PM
That's funny cause I use Flex Seal to seal seal's wader seam's!

socal114
05-24-2013, 06:17 PM
I checked out the Simms today at Marriott's...Crazy pricey but quality for sure.

bachiboy
05-29-2013, 12:08 PM
For Christmas, my wife bought me a pair of Caddis deluxe breathable stockingfoot waders. After about 4 months, the seam on one of the knee guards starting to tear. I didn't have the receipt anymore but these were still under the one year warranty so I emailed the company about the problem. I didn't expect a response cuz it was getting close to after "business" hours, but I took a chance and went to Sport Chalet (different location than the one I bought them at) to see if I could get a replacement. Even though I didn't have a receipt, they replaced them. Before I even got back from Sport Chalet, I get an email response from Caddis. The president of the company took the time to personally respond to me and tell me that he would have someone in customer service take care of it first thing in the morning, because it was indeed after hours. I thanked him and told him that Sport Chalet was gracious enough to do the replacement. He responded that he was happy they helped me and to let him know if there was any other problems.

Absolutely amazing that the president of the company took the time to do that AND that Sport Chalet was so accommodating...WIN, WIN. A couple of my friends have the same waders and haven't had any problems, so, if nothing else, should you get a pair of these and something goes wrong, there's peace of mind that you will be taken care of.

Hope that helps...
Don