PDA

View Full Version : Striper boils?

fishermanx14
05-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Hey guys i know this might seem like a stupid question to most guys on this site but this is mt first real striper season and i need some info on the boils to come....i know what happens when they boil and i heard you can pretty much throw anything at them and you will catch tons of 3 and 4 pounders. I also have heard that in late july and august is when they boil all day everyday for sometimes 30min-1hr at times...the most thing i am worried about is where to look for them? coves, flats , deep water, points?...any help would be appreciated

Christian

dk4885
05-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Boils that last 30 min to an hour wow that would be something. Last year we were lucky if the lasted 30 sec to a min. You will no when a boil erupts all the boats will rush to it then one or two of the boats will run right threw it and ending the boil.

seal
05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Some lakes may have all day boils most lakes have more boils in low light condtions. Boils during the daytime are mostly going to occur in open water as they push the bait balls around, come late afternoon evening till dark depending on the time of the year they will push them up into the shallows and this is when they will visit the same spots, they know where to push um to "trap" them. Points and cuts in the shoreline where they can push them into shallow from deep quickly are revisited over and over again.

You have to get time on the water to develop an idea of the pattern that will develop depending on the water you are fishing. I fish Mead and of course Silverwood often and the boils at Mead may occur all day long, typically you don't see an all day boil at Silverwood possibly because of the boat traffic/congestion. I know many spots at Silverwood that every year the same pattern re-occurs.

Your 30 minute boil statement though is very rare, I have seen it at Mead you can sit and watch the stripers and birds push the bait all over for a prolonged period but once again here locally too many boats and not enough open water dictates shorter boil periods.

Good luck!

bassmeister
05-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Some lakes may have all day boils most lakes have more boils in low light condtions. Boils during the daytime are mostly going to occur in open water as they push the bait balls around, come late afternoon evening till dark depending on the time of the year they will push them up into the shallows and this is when they will visit the same spots, they know where to push um to "trap" them. Points and cuts in the shoreline where they can push them into shallow from deep quickly are revisited over and over again.

You have to get time on the water to develop an idea of the pattern that will develop depending on the water you are fishing. I fish Mead and of course Silverwood often and the boils at Mead may occur all day long, typically you don't see an all day boil at Silverwood possibly because of the boat traffic/congestion. I know many spots at Silverwood that every year the same pattern re-occurs.

Your 30 minute boil statement though is very rare, I have seen it at Mead you can sit and watch the stripers and birds push the bait all over for a prolonged period but once again here locally too many boats and not enough open water dictates shorter boil periods.

Good luck!

There you go, that covers it. Upper Castaic can have some epics boils but that is usually early morning or right after they make you trailer the boat in the evening LOL. Pyramid can have some nice boils as well, haven't been to Silverwood yet but surely that lake has some good boils.

TroutOnly
05-17-2013, 06:54 AM
TWO DAYS AGO AT PYRAMID I SAW THE FIRST BOILING OF THE SEASON IVE SEEN THERE AND NOT HUGE BUT ITS COMIN,,,,AT CASTAIC MY BOAT SLAMMED ALOT OF DD'S ALL DURING THE DAY, KNOWING THE RIGHT SIZE AND KIND ARE VERY IMPORTANT BESIDES NOT SQUISHING THE BOILS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

ben0606
05-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Best boil I had was at skinner in October 2010, over 20 minutes which we boated 11. My jerk bait was tore up and the trebles were down to singles by the time the boil ended. Had sporadic boils rest of the day but that was a sight to see. Have yet to see another one like that. Conditions were cool and cloudy all day. It was also the first time I caught a striper. The 20 minute boil was out of casting range from shore and I was the only boat in the area. Perfect cause I quietly snook up on them as the shore fishermen were cheering "get em" ha ha

seal
05-17-2013, 07:50 AM
TWO DAYS AGO AT PYRAMID I SAW THE FIRST BOILING OF THE SEASON IVE SEEN THERE AND NOT HUGE BUT ITS COMIN,,,,AT CASTAIC MY BOAT SLAMMED ALOT OF DD'S ALL DURING THE DAY, KNOWING THE RIGHT SIZE AND KIND ARE VERY IMPORTANT BESIDES NOT SQUISHING THE BOILS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

Boil or slurp? Seeing lot's of teeny larvae/fry in the shallows and have seen some small group boils but mostly just slurps.

fishermanx14
05-17-2013, 03:37 PM

Good luck!
Thanks man, i probably should have mention i will be on lake mohave so i think that it should be pretty similar to lake mead

fishinarteest
05-17-2013, 04:26 PM
I know that when I fish lake Powell they have slurps that last all morning. Then the fishing will go dead in the afternoon before pickin up again with slurps that last all evening. To me slurps are just as good as boils. But slurps at that lake move and you have to have your trolling motor ready to give chase. As far as strait up boils its been a while since I've seen one last longer than a minute. Last time I saw one that lasted a decent while here in social and not on the Colorado river was at either pyramid or castaic about 7years ago. Never tour up so many fish in one place before in my life LOL.

fishermanx14
05-17-2013, 10:33 PM
can someone explain the difference between a slurp and a boil?

seal
05-18-2013, 11:20 AM
can someone explain the difference between a slurp and a boil?

When the bait is still very small (larvae fry like 1/2" or less) the stripers will not explode on them as much as they will just slurp them up, therefore during a slurp you will see surface disturbances, almost like riffles on the water, instead of "blow up's" that push a lot of water. The bigger the bait get's the more explosive the attack from the stripers needs to be to catch them that's a boil. So normally early season you will see more slurps than boils, although there are adult baitfish in the water and you will see some boils, later in the year as the bait gets larger you will see mostly boils.

So of course it makes sense when you see slurping activity to downsize your presentation.

Jmac
05-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Went to cleghorn this morning. What I thought were striper at first ended up being carp, tons of carp. Not a hit all morning!

seal
05-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Went to cleghorn this morning. What I thought were striper at first ended up being carp, tons of carp. Not a hit all morning!

Interesting what time of the am was this? Right now it's kind of a bummer cause if you go in when the lake opens the sun's already getting on the water and prime time has passed by. You really have to get out and hike in about 4:30am, maybe that's what you did?

Jmac
05-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Got there at 4:45. Once there was enough light you could see when they came outta water they were carp. Saw no bait fish what so ever.

fishermanx14
05-18-2013, 07:32 PM
thanks for all the help