PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Warrior tournament May 18th

Matt_Magnone
05-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Every year the Lake Elsinore Bass Club hosts a Tribute Bass Fishing Tournament for our troops. The Wounded Warrior Annual Bass Fishing Tournament is for the purpose of honoring soldiers who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF). This event will pair a fisherman with two service members in order to provide a guided fishing day.

For those of you that would like to get involved with this event, please call Lynn Peterson at (760) 497-8238

BOATERS ARE NEEDED.

To help with those that are fishing as I wont be able to attend, here's a quick bite for you guys to play around with. It all comes down to getting these fishermen on fish even at the risk of damaging ones own bite. Please feel free to add to suggestions for the boaters if you've encountered a pretty fun bite. Obviously size of fish is an issue as this is also a fishing tournament, but even if you're on "small" fish; I'm sure it will help out.

Diamond is going through what we all call the post spawn blues. Yes there are fish to catch and yes there are some very active fish, but the bulk of the fish are in somewhat of a negative feeding mood. Don't let this time of year fool you, there are plenty of active fish to catch.

reaction baits-
this pattern is the easiest bite on the lake right now and is the most fun to teach an angler. They can cast repetitively and also have fun doing it. One way to make it fun for them is to have them try to hit targets. This kind of target fishing is a challenge but makes you fish hard! While often times fish are reluctant to chew this time of year on the first cast, being able to cast multiple times to a specific target is sometimes the ticket. If I were to suggest two key reaction baits, I would take a squarebill crank in the 3-5' depth range as well as a spinnerbait. Both baits can be fished fast or slow and in the upper half of the water column. A lot of the active fish are in the upper half of the water column and can most definitely be coaxed into biting. You may have to work 100yds of shoreline before you pick up a fish, but that next 25yd stretch you may pick up 3 more. Its just how the bite is right now. Its fast and furious when you find them; tough when you don't. Keep your colors to a minimum. Simplicity is the rule: Baby Bass, Bluegill and Silversides

soft plastics-
if the reaction bait bite fails and you need something to fall back on definitely pull out the plastic. While the plastic bite is a "grind" to say the least you should be able to pick up enough fish to make it entertaining. The senko as well as miscellaneous "fall baits" will do the trick. What I mean by "Fall Baits" is a bait that is fished on the fall. Senkos on specific pieces of structure or cover, dartheads on vertical structure or even a fluke style bait fished in and around cover. This bite like I said before is definitely a grind, but it should produce fish. Like the reaction baits; keep your colors to a minimum. Variations of green and brown.

WIND IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!!!
When the wind comes up head to the bank and throw the reaction bait. The wind produces a positive feeding opportunity for fish. It stirs up the bottom composition and creates sections of dirty water on the shoreline where bass can ambush forage. The bass will roam these stretches and when the opportunity presents itself; They'll pounce.

Good luck! Please report on this thread if you have any constructive criticism for boaters fishing this event.

Nessie Hunter
05-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks Matt, great info.
I am Volunteering for this event, so I will see you all out there!!!

Lynn says we are about 10 boats shy of what is needed, Please help if you can..

Free entry to lake, free breakfast, free BBQ after weigh in.
Lots of goodies & a MEGA RAFFLE!!!

Stormcrow
05-16-2013, 10:09 AM
I heard this tournament should be a huge blast. Everyone is totally easy going and Last Chance puts on such a quality event. What a good cause. If you ever wanted to fish a tournament and really enjoy yourself with LOTS of fish to catch this is the one. I fished the NBW LE last week put on by Last Chance and my partner and I caught at least 30 fish over the course of the entire day. It was really alot of fun. If you have a boat that is DVL legal you should come out! :-) I wonder if George Kramer will be there.

Matt_Magnone
05-17-2013, 11:43 AM
hey guys, just got off the water. lake is clearing up with the cooler temperatures. visibility is around 5' in some areas and deeper in others. there are still parts of the lake that are dirty but for the most part, the water is looking very healthy. had to head into work today at 11 but ended up with 3 fish on the swimbait as well as multiple spinnerbait fish this morning. big fish around 5 pounds with an average of 2-3'. get your non-boaters to fish the reaction bait early and then switch to plastics once the weather gets warm. have fun guys! get those warriors on fish!!!!!!!!!!

HawgZWylde
05-17-2013, 01:36 PM
hey guys, just got off the water. lake is clearing up with the cooler temperatures. visibility is around 5' in some areas and deeper in others. there are still parts of the lake that are dirty but for the most part, the water is looking very healthy. had to head into work today at 11 but ended up with 3 fish on the swimbait as well as multiple spinnerbait fish this morning. big fish around 5 pounds with an average of 2-3'. get your non-boaters to fish the reaction bait early and then switch to plastics once the weather gets warm. have fun guys! get those warriors on fish!!!!!!!!!!

We found some fairly clear water in a lot of places last Tuesday. But I don't know man, I still prefer stained water for reaction bites. While the bite definitely slowed from the week before, we still stuck a bunch of fish on blades and plastics. I broke off what looked like a DD when it ran for the trees peeling line man, got it out and back to within 20' of the boat when the line broke at the hook-eye. Still had the knot loops on it. That was a blade fish. The only thing I can add to your OP is I had much better results with a smaller more compact 1/2oz blade bait as opposed to a larger blade of the same weight. Dittos for midday fishing. Throw T-rigged plastics green pumpkin/red flake, browns, or root-beer.

How did you guys do Tuesday? Haha, still say you should have worn a tie dude...

Matt_Magnone
05-17-2013, 08:16 PM
We found some fairly clear water in a lot of places last Tuesday. But I don't know man, I still prefer stained water for reaction bites. While the bite definitely slowed from the week before, we still stuck a bunch of fish on blades and plastics. I broke off what looked like a DD when it ran for the trees peeling line man, got it out and back to within 20' of the boat when the line broke at the hook-eye. Still had the knot loops on it. That was a blade fish. The only thing I can add to your OP is I had much better results with a smaller more compact 1/2oz blade bait as opposed to a larger blade of the same weight. Dittos for midday fishing. Throw T-rigged plastics green pumpkin/red flake, browns, or root-beer.

How did you guys do Tuesday? Haha, still say you should have worn a tie dude...

tuesday was a grind. learned a lot about tv and what it takes to make it work. pretty interesting. i learned that its hard to make reaction baits really work for filming. lots of variables including wind, angles and lighting. because of that we opted for a different bite regardless if the fish were eating. pretty crazy stuff. i would have never thought the conditions played that much of a role in filming. learned so much about how filming works and took away from this a whole new respect for both how a host conducts a show as well as the patience a camera man has. the tucked in shirt, khaki pants and a belt were something waaaaaaay out of left field. i know all you guys couldnt resist talking some crap! hahahah.

HawgZWylde
05-19-2013, 09:15 AM
tuesday was a grind. learned a lot about tv and what it takes to make it work. pretty interesting. i learned that its hard to make reaction baits really work for filming. lots of variables including wind, angles and lighting. because of that we opted for a different bite regardless if the fish were eating. pretty crazy stuff. i would have never thought the conditions played that much of a role in filming. learned so much about how filming works and took away from this a whole new respect for both how a host conducts a show as well as the patience a camera man has. the tucked in shirt, khaki pants and a belt were something waaaaaaay out of left field. i know all you guys couldnt resist talking some crap! hahahah.

Very cool experience for you Matt. I can see how reaction techniques would present a host of problems, each cast to a different spot creates a new set of variables concerning the camera. Man watching that when you guys pulled up by us, the weight of that camera on an always moving platform must kill the guys back by the end of the day. Haha, you HAD to see that coming man. Lol, I bet you even ironed the collar eh? Haha. Hey it's all good bro. Should've seen me when I was doing the "corporate" thing, lol, or the "80's Metal" thing for that matter. That day was definitely a grind man. Lots of moving around, real heavy wind day, but still had a good day...

Stinkbait
05-19-2013, 11:42 AM
What was the filming for? WWP, bait marketing, or outdoors show?
Just interested....

HawgZWylde
05-19-2013, 12:48 PM
What was the filming for? WWP, bait marketing, or outdoors show?
Just interested....

http://jarrettedwardsoutdoors.tv/WP/

Stinkbait
05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
I like that guy. He beat cancer. He is from the west. He fishes our western style....finesse in our pressured waters.

ddoskocil
05-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Very cool deal, can't wait to see it.
Good luck for the Warriors, guys!