PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Wed-05-15-13 Bass and Rockfish.

Tunaslam
05-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Fishing Wed. 5-15-13, with John on his comfortable 25’Parker, the “Horndog” with friend Chris. We launched out of Cabrillo’s in San Pedro at 6:15 am, only because the guard was late opening the gate, as we waited in line for 30 minutes?

We set out for our beginning destination along the Palos Verdes Coast. There was a deep Marine layer, with some nasty swells and washing machine conditions. Water Temperatures were at 56.1 degrees, unbelievably cold for this time of year?

We checked out our normal area and did not find any meter marks to get excited about. We set up a drift, which was uphill, and very rapid, despite little wind. It was a real slow bite. We caught a few small Reds, some Gopher Cod, and a Lizard fish.

We started a new drift searching for some structure with a small mark with similar results. The drift was uphill and mostly in towards land. The current was somewhat strong, with a good scope out, usually rendering a decent bite on the fish that inhabited the area.

John hooks our first Bass of the day, a 1.5 pound Sandy, then I follow shortly thereafter with a Calico Bass and then a small Sand Bass. Chris gets a good bite on a nice Sculpin.

We drift into the Kelp and make a move outside to deeper water. We still see few marks on the meter and begin another drift. John gets hammered and lands a picture size 3.5 pound Sand Bass:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_2552680x510_zps05470c9d.jpg

We spent the morning catching and releasing some Rockfish and Sculpin. The Bass were few and far between. I added three more Calico Bass and another Sandy, all less than two pounds. John caught a few more Sandies and Chris added a Calico Bass, in between all the Rockfish and Sculpin. John caught the only other picture worthy Bass, this Calico:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_2554680x510_zps3640ba35.jpg

We caught mostly Rockfish and Sculpin today, with some Bass mixed in. The weather, which started out unfavorable turned into a very pleasant late morning sunshine and grease calm seas.

John was high stick today catching more Sculpin and Rockfish to go with his Bass. I caught five Bass and five Rockfish, a very slow day for me? We kept a couple of Sculpin, a Red and one bleeding Sand Bass for fish tacos. All others were released to fight another day. We ended the day with 11 Bass and over 25 Rockfish and six Sculpin.

We trailered the boat at 3:00pm. Thanks so much for the invite John, can’t wait for our next adventure together.

Hook up! Cory

ILL PHIL
05-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Awesome report! I was there over the weekend for real slow fishing. Were the fish deeper or closer to the surface. Also what kind of setup? I was fishing assorted swim baits near the kelp. Any help would be appreciated, ive been getting skunked pretty regularly lately and will take any advice to heart.

Tight lines!