PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Tiagra 50A or 30A- HELP ME DECIDE!

TypicalJess
05-14-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm new to FNN so if an answer to this question has already been posted, please accept my apologies.

I am looking into purchasing a Shimano Tiagra reel to start up my "HEAVY" gear.
I currently have a 6'6" 20-50lb rod with a Shimano Talica 12 (2 speed lever drag, with 50#Jerry Brown, 25# Fluoro) This is currently my only setup.

I am looking to do a little more fishing in San Diego and maybe even further south this season and I need some help from you experienced anglers.Which would be best for fishing for Tuna (150lb range), and maybe some billfish down south? I am concerned with possibly having too much gear, or too little gear. I have never taken a multi day fishing trip and would like to do a 2 day without being worried about getting spooled! I also don't want to haul around a 50 when a 30 will do the job.

I appreciate your help and any tips you can provide me are greatly appreciated!

Here are some of the specs:
TI30A Braid: 50lb/1805yd, 65lb/1065yd, 80lb/770yd Drag: Max Full 34lb, Strike 25lb.
TI50A Braid: 80lb/1135yd, 100lb/930yd, 150lb/865yd Drag: Max Full 37lb, Strike 28lb.

jaggerbub
05-14-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm taking my first 3.5 day this summer and the captain said all I would need is a 20,30,40 outfit and a 80 trolling setup. Most of the time 30 will be all you will need for this kind of trip. So if you are looking at a two day as you have mentioned you don't need "cow" gear unless if that's your goal for future trips. Just load up your reels with braid and bring some flouro leader. I think a couple reels that hold 300 yds spectra would be sufficient for your 2 day. I loaded up my reels with 40-60 spectra and plan to put a topshot for each reel with 20 30 & 40 flouro. I'm also taking some 50-80 flouro as well just in case we run into a bigger grade of tunas as they did last season.

With that said, I would go with the smaller of the two. Load it with 80-100 spectra and tie on a topshot.

TypicalJess
05-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Thank you for including line recommendations also Jaggerbub!
:Fishing Hole::Fishing Hole:

Nessie Hunter
05-15-2013, 10:37 AM
The 30 would be your best option IMO....
It has 25# at strike..
The drag ability and setting is what gives you line size (for changing up top shot)...
You can easily go from 20# up to even 80# top shot with the 30...
To adjust for toothey Tuna or bill fish...
Only diff is Line capacity......
if you hook a Cow, you may get spooled..
Not likely on 2 or 3 day trips!!!!!!

fuj
05-15-2013, 11:34 AM
A Tiagra 30 or 50 isn't is too much reel for 150# Yellowfin Tuna, but it is generally too much for regular use on offshore trips of 2 days and less. Your chances of encountering >150# tuna on a 2-day is practically zero. Even if you were that fortunate, there is other gear that can handle fish that size that would be much more comfortable to use.

If you're acquiring the Tiagra because you can get it at a great price, go with the 30. It can be used as a trolling reel, dropper loop reel, and a cow Yellowfin reel. (The 50 will also handle these situations, but will be a bulkier reel. I'd get the 50 if I already had a 30 and was an avid Yellowfin Tuna long ranger.) But if you want it because you're concerned about getting ruined on a 2-day, your money is better spent elsewhere. If your current fishing goals are to do trips of five days or less, look to start building your arsenal in the 15#-50# range. 90% or more of your fishing on these trips will be covered by these line classes. Jaggerbub got good intel - 20#-40# line classes will handle just about anything you hook on a trip of 3 days or less. The trolling rig is optional. All boats have trolling rigs for the passengers to use. If it makes you feel better to have your own troller and you don't mind spending the funds for a setup that may not see much use, then go for it. I bring a 80#-100# rig when I go on these trips now because I have them, but when I first started out, I borrowed the boat's trollers.

TypicalJess
05-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will be going with the 30. I think i'll wait to get a 50 or 80 when i'm ready for a longer trip. Thanks Fuj, and Nessie Hunter.