PDA

View Full Version : san onfre? good fishing?

matt duarte
09-12-2007, 09:16 AM
has anyone ever been to or fished at san onfre? san mateo canyon area??? I'm going their this weekend and any info would help a lot

thatnks guys

sansou
09-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Stay clear of the surfers there. They really think they own the place. Apparently the area is some type of SoCal surfing sacred place.... :roll:

It's been a while, but the only place I've fished there is the far south end. Last time was 2 years ago. You can wade out really far on the rocky bottom (bring something for your feet, b/c while the little rocks are round, it's the critters that live in the shale there that'll sting you) Usual suspects to be found, with the big difference being that you get a variety....as opposed to sandy beaches.

I've never fished the north end, but I get the impression it could hold halibut. (well, at least that's what the locals lay claim to)

Get there early in the morning if you're going on the weekend, or you'll have a hard time finding a decent place to park on the sandy road.

matt duarte
09-12-2007, 09:51 AM
right on good lookin out on the surfers... hopefully I can find a good spot.. ill be camping their so ill be out all night... I wonder if I can get our dingy out past the break water....

what bait? do iron lures work with the surf? like tadys or small mac look-a-likes? or just chunks of chopped bait? I seen people using plastics for salt... how do you get them out far enough? a big *** weight? like a t-rig setup?

ThemBastards
09-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Some of my best camping trips have been at San Onofre, beautiful views from the camp grounds. Just be careful if there is going to be any under age drinking, I have had friends when we were younger get kicked out.

The only fishing experience I have had there is on the moo-moo's out of Dana Point. They take you next to the "t1tt1es" to get some nuclear fish.

matt duarte
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
:lol: maybe I can get a 3 eyed simpson fish lol. well thanks again guys hopefully I catch something... anyone know how big the waves are their? I wonder if I can paddle out the pontoon??

sansou
09-12-2007, 10:48 AM
:lol: maybe I can get a 3 eyed simpson fish lol. well thanks again guys hopefully I catch something... anyone know how big the waves are their? I wonder if I can paddle out the pontoon??

Yeah sure, sounds like a great idea with the pontoon. The surfers hang out there cause it's always flat conditions, no waves. :wink:

matt duarte
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
sweet I'm bringing the pontoon and the float tube!

if theres no waves how do they surf? little baby waves?

ThemBastards
09-12-2007, 11:11 AM
:oops: :farmer:

Airona124
09-12-2007, 04:04 PM
umm if your going by the plant

it was pretty good

this was a month ago

some seaweed but good fishing

the surf perch were bitting

a good size calico bass

and a legal sand bass

and alot of babie leopard sharks

use like fresh shrimp with everthing still on it

that worked good

valhalla_1_2000
09-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, for the reasons Sansou stated, the pontoon should work fine at San Onofre. Oh, by the way, Great White Sharks are not uncommon in that area either.

FishSum
09-13-2007, 07:41 AM
matt, you get my PM?

matt duarte
09-13-2007, 08:11 AM
ya fishsum i got it :D sent one back to ya to...

great whites :shock: :shock: :eek2: man thats scary! i wouldnt want to come across one of those! maybe ill play it safe from shore and just do some happy gilmore cast to get it out as far as i can.....

Z-TUNAKILLER
09-13-2007, 10:17 AM
hey matt, i was talking to a guy that toons saltwater, he said the seal's are curious an sometime like to F--k with fisherman on tubes and toons, he suggested getting a can of pepper spray from turner's, i also heard that a paintball gun is legal to use on aggressive seals, anyone out their now the CA law's on that ?

Z

FISH ON !

Airona124
09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
yea paintball gun or sling shot!!!!!

they were doing it off the charter boat cuz the seals were eating alot of the bait fish and wouldnt get off are nuts

and it ate a couple bass

so they shot at em

lol

fish4keep
09-13-2007, 06:18 PM
all the way at the end is a NUDE beach. You'll definately be fishing with a stiff rod. No bendo there..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sansou
09-13-2007, 07:19 PM
all the way at the end is a NUDE beach. You'll definately be fishing with a stiff rod. No bendo there..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Black's Beach is a long long way down....(south of Torrey Pines).

....and if you get a "bendo" out of anything you see on Black's Beach, chances are you probably wouldn't be too smart to publicly state your sexual orientation on a website with these demographics.

castoff
09-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Yes San Onofre does have nude sunbathers although mostly old and the sight of them may blind you! Surf fishing can be good with ghost shrimp, sand crabs, or fresh mussel. try catching live bait from the small pier in DP harbour and using an aerator to keep it alive for halis. crocodiles, plastics and Gulp swim shads also work. Avoid the surfers lots of Grumpy old men, chicks and kids at Sano. the fishing is not worth tangling with them. The south end is the nude area. there can be a strong sideways pull if there is surf so either bring heavy weights or walk the beach in a drift. Good luck! Castoff

fish4keep
09-14-2007, 07:02 PM

Black's Beach is a long long way down....(south of Torrey Pines).

....and if you get a "bendo" out of anything you see on Black's Beach, chances are you probably wouldn't be too smart to publicly state your sexual orientation on a website with these demographics.

LOL.... Looks like you've been to Blacks a few time and know your way around......

I'm not talking about Black......