PDA

View Full Version : Licenses and what anyone fishing CA waters needs to have on them...

Bayouwolf
05-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Alright, I made my obligatory first post in the "Welcome n00bs" section, and now I'm going to seal the deal by posting something I'm sure has been hashed over before but thanks to the above, aformentioned, "n00b" status I can't seem to find anywhere in the search function and seeing's as how I'm not a whiz at legal-ese I figured the best thing to do would be to start a thread that has a really long run on sentence for the first line and then eventually get to the point but not before nearly passing out from a lack of oxyge...

<<deeeeeeeeeeeep breath>>

n.

So I'm new to the state, but not new to silly fishing regs. I grew up in East central Florida so I'm no stranger to the game and fish commission's blatant ability to fine you for some obscure rule you had no idea existed in the fishing license department. Not size limits or legal take amounts, I can figure those out fairly easily once I learn what it is I'm looking at, just fishing license's themselves.

So onward to the question (assuming I haven't lost your interest yet, and if I have mebbe it's time to talk to your doctor about upping your Adderall strength)...

If I'm primarily fishing coastal waters with the occasional jaunt up to a lake or inland river what licensure SHOULD I carry to maintain a good standing with the local Pescatoral Po-Po? Is it necessary to have all the stamps just to be on the safe side or are there things (sturgeon permit?) that I can live without if I have no interest in targeting those species?

Thanks in advance for any replies, sarcasm, or obvious directions to where this has been covered before since I am, or can still otherwise claim I am, a n00b here.

Gary

jaggerbub
05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
All you really need here in socal is just a yearly license with a saltwater stamp. Add a second rod stamp if you want.... That should cover you to fish anywhere around here. If you head up north for salmon and sturgeon etc... then you will need to add some more things.

DockRat
05-14-2013, 06:23 AM
The second rod stamp is for freshwater only.
In the saltwater you can fish as many rods as you handle.
DR

Bayouwolf
05-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks guys, good to know. :Big Grin:

Are there any species in the surf you can catch as "by-catch" that would require a special stamp? I know in Florida there are days when you could inadvertently tie into a Tarpon and unless you cut your line (thus losing your rig) you'd be in violation of the law by "removing it from the water to release unharmed". It's one of those regs that will getcha' if someone happens by with a camera and a grudge against you, or a FGFC (Florida game and fish) officer with a chip on his shoulder.

I want to continue to be a steward of the environment while I'm stuck out here in this stupid perfect weather with so many darn places to go fishing. ;)