PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater bass setup

SoCalFisher606
05-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Hello,

I wanted to get some advice on purchasing a new setup for saltwater bass. Most of the time I will be fishing for spotties, but once in a while I will go after calicos. For the reel, I think I would like a shimano curado or an Abu Garcia Revo, but I'm open to any suggestions. And now I'm stuck on a rod to pair it with. I've looked at the Abu Garcia volatiles, the shimano teramars, those california calico specials from turners, and graftechs. Can anyone reccomend a rod to pair with those reels for my purpose or even a setup that you use that you like? I'd say my rod budget is around 150 or so. Thanks for all the help

tailchaser001
05-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Hello,

I wanted to get some advice on purchasing a new setup for saltwater bass. Most of the time I will be fishing for spotties, but once in a while I will go after calicos. For the reel, I think I would like a shimano curado or an Abu Garcia Revo, but I'm open to any suggestions. And now I'm stuck on a rod to pair it with. I've looked at the Abu Garcia volatiles, the shimano teramars, those california calico specials from turners, and graftechs. Can anyone reccomend a rod to pair with those reels for my purpose or even a setup that you use that you like? I'd say my rod budget is around 150 or so. Thanks for all the help

Shimano Curado and Teramar all day long!

jaggerbub
05-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Abu nacl and shimano swimbait rod. My favorite rig that I own. Perfect for what you need and will handle island yellows and schoolie tunas as well.

zzzfish
05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
You won't be dissapointed with a curado and teramar set up. I got two! :)

You might want to upgrade the drag on the curado though...

SoCalFisher606
05-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Are the teramars you're talking about the west coast inshore model?

Bob_B
05-19-2013, 06:39 AM
My new favorite spotty reel is a Lews Tournament Pro, and my favorite rod is a Phenix Recon C714. The Lews blows away curados in a big way and they seem to hold up better in the salt than the Curados. I would compare the Tourny Pro to the Shimano Core line of reels, the Lews are smoother and cast further though.