PDA

View Full Version : First Striper trip of the year

fishfinder
05-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Got to the lake way to early and waited for the gates to open. I thought it would be crowded so we got there at 5am. We were first boat in line. except the 30 or so bass boats they let in at 6 for a tourny. It was nice to let them in early, so we wouldn't have to wait for them to launch, :Smile:
Today we decided we would not troll, and would just drop some bait instead. Went to the first spot and caught 3 fish, but only 1 keeper. When we got there we found out the motor would not go into neutral or reverse. so started it in fwd all day and managed to get our fish in. Any-one know why it could be stuck in fwd? Decided to try another area and got another keeper, and some dinks, but noticed the boat closest to us was just killing them. ! guy on the boat and kept getting double hook ups. He was really enjoying himself, hooting and hollering everytime he hooked up. It was really refreshing to see just some old fashion excitement for fishing. Finally he noticed us not doing as well and invited us over to tie up next to him (class move by our new friend, forgot your name but thanks again if your reading)and fish there. So we did and it was on like Donkey Kong. Left at noon to bbq at one of the picnic areas, the off to clean them. It was a great day with my son on the water.

cutbait
05-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Cool deal. Nice report.

Your problem is limited to three things.

Adjustment of shifting linkage. Easiest

Problem in shifting box at helm

Or shifting mechanism under cowling is bound up

fishfinder
05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Cool deal. Nice report.

Your problem is limited to three things.

Adjustment of shifting linkage. Easiest

Problem in shifting box at helm

Or shifting mechanism under cowling is bound up

it looks like its below the stuff in the cowelling. everything there looks good to me. just locked up and wont shift. called boat shop up here and they want $100 an hour to look at it. 1 hour min. seams to high to me, cause they probably will know in 5 minutes.

cutbait
05-13-2013, 03:13 PM
it looks like its below the stuff in the cowelling. everything there looks good to me. just locked up and wont shift. called boat shop up here and they want $100 an hour to look at it. 1 hour min. seams to high to me, cause they probably will know in 5 minutes.

Disconnect the linkage. Try shifting and notice if linkage works properly.

Then you manually move the arms/levers the linkage attach too. Notice if they move and pay attention to the shifting shaft coming up from the lower unit. Its underneath the carbs on the base of the motor compartment. If it is still stuck with linkage removed, try to disconnect the levers that turn the shifter shaft coming from the lower unit.

You have to chase the bind, if you go through these steps and discover the bind is in the shifter shaft to the lower unit we will talk at that point. Eliminate the easy stuff first

fishfinder
05-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Disconnect the linkage. Try shifting and notice if linkage works properly.

Then you manually move the arms/levers the linkage attach too. Notice if they move and pay attention to the shifting shaft coming up from the lower unit. Its underneath the carbs on the base of the motor compartment. If it is still stuck with linkage removed, try to disconnect the levers that turn the shifter shaft coming from the lower unit.

You have to chase the bind, if you go through these steps and discover the bind is in the shifter shaft to the lower unit we will talk at that point. Eliminate the easy stuff first

i will try that tomorrow when i get up (i work nights) so you know if i dont get it fixed by saturday, do you think it will hurt it by starting it in fwd, and using it all day? or do you think it will fail.

cutbait
05-13-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm surprised it starts in gear.

There is a safety that is supposed to keep you from starting in gear.

I can't see it doing any harm except on your starter

fishinone
05-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Congrats on the catching.

Your new friends name is Mike. He drives an inboard Deep-V with pink and blue trim. He's definately one of the good bait fishermen.

fishfinder
05-13-2013, 04:29 PM
I'm surprised it starts in gear.

There is a safety that is supposed to keep you from starting in gear.

I can't see it doing any harm except on your starter

i am glad it did start in geer, or i would have been stuck.

fishfinder
05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Congrats on the catching.

Your new friends name is Mike. He drives an inboard Deep-V with pink and blue trim. He's definately one of the good bait fishermen.

OMG! he is a good bait fisherman. he was using heavier line than us, and we thought it might be our bait, so he tried some of our bait, and still wacked them faster than 2 of us could catch them.

MikesOcean
05-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Great job FF and good to see you on board.

Bummer about the boat, but at least you got on some fish.
Hope it all works out for you.

If its not fixed by stripefest, I will make sure I am not in front of you when you start your boat. :)

trail blazer
05-15-2013, 11:23 AM
WTG on the fish,,,,,,,,NICE!