PDA

View Full Version : Lake Gregory, Arrowhead Lake, Arrowbear Lake, Big Bear Lake

chindofoo
05-12-2013, 05:21 PM
So on Friday I planned to go to Lake Gregory with my kayak to do some trolling for trout. I got there around 8:30 am and there were zero boats or float tubes in the water. I walked around the shore and no one had caught anything on the shore. I didn't want to look like a dufus being the only boat on the water plus no one was catching anything so then I planned on driving to arrowhead lake and see what it was like over there. I walked next to the boat dock by Mc Donalds and I saw some huge carp swimming in the water, and among the carp, there was this huge rainbow trout!!!! It was freakin huge, at least 10 lbs!!! Again, I didn't want to look like a dufus being it was an area close to all the outlet stores and it wasn't a "fishing friendly" place. If you been to that area you know what I mean.

So then I decided to check out arrowbear lake being that I read earlier in the week that it was stocked. I never been there before but when I got there I noticed it was not really a lake more like a dinky little pond. There was a family fishing there who just gotten there and didn't have any action so far. So then I was like, I made it this far i might as well drive over to big bear lake so I can finally do some trolling on my yak.

So I launched by the observatory at big bear lake at around 11:30 and trolled for about 2 hours for nada. I then anchored right by the observatory and caught a little catfish. I released the catfish since I was after trout, didn't get any bites for a while, then trolled again around the area for nada. Then I drove to the west shore and caught a bass on a crawler and right after that my other rod (baited with powerbait) starts peeling drag for a few seconds then popped, line snapped! It seemed like it was a carp on the line, but could have been a good sized trout.

All in all, crazy day, and never managed to get the fish I was after: trout. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

castle
05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Was it worth all the gas prices?

chindofoo
05-12-2013, 09:01 PM
I would say yes, and I didn't even catch a trout. Now imagine if I caught a limit of trout...

Troutin Man
05-12-2013, 10:08 PM
All in all, crazy day, and never managed to get the fish I was after: trout. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Dude...you are crazy. I guess that's what people will do for their love...and damn...you must really love fishin. I've driven to 2 lakes in one day...but damn...four! That is hard core!

Next time, just pick a lake and hit it. At least you saw Arrowbear. Yes...indeed it is a pond and DFW stock it with little guys...not even a pound.

chindofoo
05-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Dude...you are crazy. I guess that's what people will do for their love...and damn...you must really love fishin. I've driven to 2 lakes in one day...but damn...four! That is hard core!

Next time, just pick a lake and hit it. At least you saw Arrowbear. Yes...indeed it is a pond and DFW stock it with little guys...not even a pound.

its not all that crazy cuz gregory, arrowhead, arrowbear, and big big bear lake are all off the same road and in that order. plus you got daylight from 5:30 am to 8:00 pm so plenty of time to fish.

The highlight of the trip was seeing that 10+ lb rainbow trout swimming with the carp in arrowhead lake. It was swimming without a care in the world just cruising around next to the dock / boardwalk. Usually they get spooked and dart off to deeper water, but this trout was just lazily cruising the shoreline among all the large carp. Pretty rare for socal, usually you see that kind of thing in yellowstone or somewhere else.

seal
05-13-2013, 08:14 AM
The trout hang out there cause they are fed just like the carp, I have seen school's of trout that big in there.

But you are kind of leaving one little tidbit out, Lake Arrowhead is private, that might be what you were suggesting when you said it isn't "fishing friendly".

Don't know about your Gregory reference? Dude if I don't see any boats around I think it's gonna be a good day, no competition! Being that you were in a kayak serveying the shoreline for fish caught would not necessarily reflect how the bite would be out in the open water especially on a hot weekend like we just had.

But you finally got wet and pulled on fish, sounds like a good day!

BiGPaC
05-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Couple of things.

1. You would not have been able to fish Arrowhead anyway, as stated it is a private lake and you must be a landowner to fish on the lake, especially to launch a kayak.

2. Last I checked, you can not launch a kayak on Gregory either. Rental boats with oars or electric motors only. They do allow float tubes but not kayaks or canoes.

Sounds like a fun day all in all, and what is not to enjoy about a day in the mountains.

Jason

seal
05-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Couple of things.

1. You would not have been able to fish Arrowhead anyway, as stated it is a private lake and you must be a landowner to fish on the lake, especially to launch a kayak.

2. Last I checked, you can not launch a kayak on Gregory either. Rental boats with oars or electric motors only. They do allow float tubes but not kayaks or canoes.

Sounds like a fun day all in all, and what is not to enjoy about a day in the mountains.

Jason

Kayak's can be launched there. Friend lives in Crestline and has an annual pass.

P1M
05-14-2013, 08:32 AM
I grew up in Arrowhead and you use to be able to fish on the shore far right of the Mcdonalds dock. There use to be a bounty on the carp and they had a contest everymonth with biggest carp caught getting $50. Well for a 11 yr thats a payday and I won one month using a french fry with no sinker. Sucked getting the fry past the ducks! That carp weighted out at 18lbs and I have seen much bigger!

chindofoo
05-14-2013, 11:57 PM
This makes me want to buy property at Arrowhead lake just so I can fish there. Almost zero fishing pressure in a nice sized lake with huge trophy trout right in the heart of Socal? This is too good to be true. Anyone live in Arrowhead lake? I'll pay them 10 whopping dollars a day to fish there and launch my yak.

bowler
05-15-2013, 12:17 AM
This makes me want to buy property at Arrowhead lake just so I can fish there. Almost zero fishing pressure in a nice sized lake with huge trophy trout right in the heart of Socal? This is too good to be true. Anyone live in Arrowhead lake? I'll pay them 10 whopping dollars a day to fish there and launch my yak.

my friend sent me pic last year when he was able to fish arrowhead. he got a nice size smallie and nice largemouth bass out of there. I still have the pic on my phone I could post them if you want to see the bass he got from there.

seal
05-15-2013, 08:36 AM

10 bucks, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Troutin Man
05-15-2013, 08:20 PM

Maybe I can set it up like SARL and Corona. I will buy property on the lake and charge $15 to fish for a limit of 5 whatevers and charge 10 for parking. Any takers???