PDA

View Full Version : BBL 05.11.13 Bite's picking up

JAG107
05-11-2013, 06:39 PM
First off, today was just spectacular weather wise. If you were stuck indoors, I feel bad for you! No clouds, not much need for a jacket in the early morning and never got over 70 up on the lake. Lots of boaters took advantage of the great weather today, and the wind wasn't quite as rough as last week either.
It didn't take until 11 to get bit this week, got the first beautiful holdover around 8 at the Observatory. I headed over to Boulder Bay next, and whacked a quick 3 within an hour over there. Back to the triangle for 3 hours for 3 more bows and 2 palm sized crappie. 1 more along the north shore as the pirate ship went by, and I called it a successful day. Kept 2 bleeders and let the rest go to get bigger. They were all about the orange today, and ad zero interest in firetiger, chartreuse colors OR worms. I trolled the flasher pinched crawler combo for hours without a sniff, well I guess what worked great last time won't necessarily work this time. They all hit around 20' on the DR and 4 colors on the leadcore setup. Water temp is still nice and cool, 54.5 at 7am to just under 56 at 3pm when I left. Even saw a few cruising a couple feet below the surface on the west end in the afternoon.
Only thing that was a downer today was losing my 10lb DR weight outside Papoose, the bottom came up so fast from 38' to 14 I had no chance to crank it up in time, and it straightened out the keeper. Usually the ball will just bounce on the bottom but thus must have been a wicked rockpile that it got wedged into. So if anybody likes ffreediving and wants a $50 ball of epoxy coated lead, it's waiting for ya down there!

diamondbear
05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Sounds like you had to work for your fish Jag , I was up there both days and had to work forem also . The weather sat. and sun. was the best this whole season so far, I got sunburned , ha. Big bear lk. is alot different this year from the last couple yrs. Your right about the depth 20 ft. is where there at . I havent tried orange yet , ha . Great report , glad you gottem . Theres a fishing tourney this weekend a it'll be crowded for sure thanks for posting .