PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek Fishing Help

fishnfreak1966
05-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Guys I will be making a trip up to Rock Creek in mid july. First time fishing this part of the Sierras. Im looking for some tips and areas to fish. I will be fishing in my float tube and from the shore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

emtbsandiego
05-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Guys I will be making a trip up to Rock Creek in mid july. First time fishing this part of the Sierras. Im looking for some tips and areas to fish. I will be fishing in my float tube and from the shore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've always had good luck around the backside where the creek runs into the lake. Trout worms, salmon eggs always seem to do pretty well in that area.

Topwater Terry
05-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Mid July should be prime time for that area. Are you bait or lure or flyfishing? For tubing, you can't beat Rock Creek Lake. I am mostly a shore guy but I see tubers out there all the time. Fishing can be good for browns and rainbows in the creek in between the campgrounds. If you hike a couple of miles into the backcountry, you can catch a ton of little brookies in the creeks while flyfishing. Oh, you HAVE to get some pie at the resort at the lake, best in the world!! Good luck, awesome area up there!

fishnfreak1966
05-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Mid July should be prime time for that area. Are you bait or lure or flyfishing? For tubing, you can't beat Rock Creek Lake. I am mostly a shore guy but I see tubers out there all the time. Fishing can be good for browns and rainbows in the creek in between the campgrounds. If you hike a couple of miles into the backcountry, you can catch a ton of little brookies in the creeks while flyfishing. Oh, you HAVE to get some pie at the resort at the lake, best in the world!! Good luck, awesome area up there!

I also want to hit some of those hike in lakes off the trail. Any info on fishing these lakes?

Fish Cop
05-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Head up from the lake into Mosquito Flats. Plenty of small lakes and connector streams. The trail is easy to walk, the scenery is outstanding, and it's a real nice way to while away the day. Practice good fish handling and C&R.

jimbo1
05-15-2013, 09:58 AM
FishinFreak- I sent you a PM about this...

fishnfreak1966
05-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Jimbo How do I receive your pm. Im kind of new at this

fishnfreak1966
05-15-2013, 12:57 PM
My E mail is fishnfreak66@yahoo.com if you want to PM me there. Thanks

IncredibleHuck
05-15-2013, 02:20 PM
I also want to hit some of those hike in lakes off the trail. Any info on fishing these lakes?

Here is a video of the hike I did last year into the little lakes valley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJBa1J3AKs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJBa1J3AKs)

SierraPeaks
05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Nice Huck. Incredible though that those lakes were ice free and there was no snow on Memorial Weekend. That just goes to show how bad the drought situation is in the Sierras the last 2 years.

fishnfreak1966
05-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Here is a video of the hike I did last year into the little lakes valley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJBa1J3AKs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJBa1J3AKs)

Thank you for the visual. I now have an idea of the layout of the land. Is there brookies in every lake that you passed up along the trail?

fishnfreak1966
05-16-2013, 02:54 PM
I plan on using lures, jigs and fly bubble. I was wondering what type of flys work best at rock creek

IncredibleHuck
05-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Thank you for the visual. I now have an idea of the layout of the land. Is there brookies in every lake that you passed up along the trail?

Yes you can get into brooks at almost each of the lakes up there.

jimbo1
05-17-2013, 09:11 AM
I cant remember the name of the fly. I want to say a woolley booger or maybe it was a mosquito nymph. But if you really want to know just call the Rock Creek Lake Resort and ask for Jim, I believe. He will tell you exactly the fly to use; he'll even sell it to you... lol

Joshua
05-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Yes you can get into brooks at almost each of the lakes up there.
I really want to hate you right now I didnt make it up last Memorial Day weekend. Thanks for the video. Sitting here in my office, I really wish I was hiking the trail.

IncredibleHuck
05-17-2013, 03:45 PM
I really want to hate you right now I didnt make it up last Memorial Day weekend. Thanks for the video. Sitting here in my office, I really wish I was hiking the trail.

LOL you're welcome! This memorial day i'm going out of state. I'll let you know how it was when I get back.

fishnfreak1966
05-18-2013, 06:38 AM
I want to thank all of you for all the advise. It is refreshing to see how helpful fellow fishermen are to one another on this website. I am very greatful.:Envious:

geedavell
05-18-2013, 08:53 AM
I proposed to my wife at Chickenfoot Lake back there. Beautiful place !

SierraPeaks
05-19-2013, 12:07 AM

Good thing you didn't propose at Cold Feet Lake

fishnfreak1966
05-19-2013, 06:48 AM

I couldnt think of a more romantic seen than being in the Sierras back country with your love one sharing a wonderful moment like proposing to your soul mate. Very cool man!:Big Grin:

jimbo1
05-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Oh man... Too bad you didn't go all the way back to Gem lake.... Gem lake is awesome. It's all the way back there and right next to some cool glaciers.

billy b
05-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Oh man... Too bad you didn't go all the way back to Gem lake.... Gem lake is awesome. It's all the way back there and right next to some cool glaciers.

Is that the same "Gem Lake" that's near Agnew ... and accessible from near Rush Creek trailhead?

Tfisherman
05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
July is a great time to fish there, inlet or outlet are both good areas, the lake has rainbows brookies and browns, good luck

fishnfreak1966
05-23-2013, 09:55 AM
I am so looking forward to it. I will hit the inlet and outlet for sure. I have been all over the Sierras but never Rock Creek. I feel like Im going for the first time because this is a new place for me.

jimbo1
05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Is that the same "Gem Lake" that's near Agnew ... and accessible from near Rush Creek trailhead?

I dont think so... The hike back to Gem lakes starts at Mosquito Flats Trailhead and is the Little Lakes Valley hike.

Tfisherman
05-24-2013, 02:26 AM
Rockcreek lake is my favorite lake in the Sierras camping there was great, hope to get up there next week, maybe even float tube there.

billy b
05-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Hey TFish ... missed seein you around. You been away ... or have I just not crossed paths?

Still have the boat? Doing anything with the worm making?

I still have some and remember hammering them from the Jenks bridge while everybody was asking questions

Tfisherman
05-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Hey Bill how you doing, just been busy. I still have my boat, havent had it out for awhile, I fished the kern river in nov. heading up to the sierras next week with friends I still make lures, but not selling them, just make them for myself.