PDA

View Full Version : Boat Carpet- project

TRDEXPERT
05-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Hello FNN, Im going to replace the carpet and maybe the floor on my boat. What type of plywood is recommended and where can I find the cheapest marine carpet. I want to put good quality material but on a budget.
Thx

EL JEFE
05-11-2013, 09:35 AM
I would highly recommend marine plywood. Do NOT use the standard construction plywood found at home improvement centers. The marine plywood can be found in San Diego and Long beach at wood dealers who carry marine type of woods (Teak, Mahogany, etc).

As far as carpet, you may want to consider a vinyl type of decking. It is easier to clean, and will last much longer than carpet. There are several manufacturers. Below is a link to Defender that carries the Nautolux brand. I've read it is a high quality product. I was going to use but sold the boat. If I ever re-deck my pontoon boat, this would be my choice.

Good luck!

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409|311410&id=23644

Socal Bassman
05-15-2013, 06:09 PM
I used 3/4" plywood when I made a deck extension for my old boat. Just make sure to use several coats of fiberglass resin. As for carpet, I went with Bass Cat carpet. It is pricey, though.