PDA

View Full Version : drifting for cats

DynoDan
05-10-2013, 12:08 PM
So anyone try drifting for cats? Thinking we can cover more area and try to find that cat den. Let me hear what you all think?

flyhigh123
05-10-2013, 02:02 PM
i dont fish for cats, but normally cats sit on the bottom, so it could cause lots of hang ups.

ben0606
05-11-2013, 06:48 PM
So anyone try drifting for cats? Thinking we can cover more area and try to find that cat den. Let me hear what you all think?

I've done it a decent amount of times and have had good success. Basically I troll the bottom at a very slow speed. Depending on what bait I'm using dictates my set up. Drop shoting cut bait and even night crawlers works for me. Lots of different techniques, I even fly line casting like I'm bass fishing. I've caught plenty of cats top water as well. One year corona had a die off of all their "clams" or mussels or whatever they are and it made for a great top water bite as all the dead meat was floating all over. The cats were feeding like bass wolf packs. Thought it was bass at first, didn't realize it was cats until I got one on a jerk bait.

I'm hitting corona for a 3 day catfish trip, so I've definitely got catfish fever. Ha ha

Ben