PDA

View Full Version : Taboose Creek popularity

Joshua
05-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Does anyone know why Taboose Creek/Campground is so crowded? I stopped by Taboose Creek on the opener and it was absolutely packed. I dont usually fish this creek because it is so small and in the valley. It gets too damn hot and the scenary isnt as nice compared to the higher elevation creeks. I did notice several Nevada license plates. Gooddale Creek is about a mile away and didnt have nearly the crowd.

IncredibleHuck
05-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Does anyone know why Taboose Creek/Campground is so crowded? I stopped by Taboose Creek on the opener and it was absolutely packed. I dont usually fish this creek because it is so small and in the valley. It gets too damn hot and the scenary isnt as nice compared to the higher elevation creeks. I did notice several Nevada license plates. Gooddale Creek is about a mile away and didnt have nearly the crowd.

It got Alpers during the opener at the campground.

Viejo
05-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Does anyone know why Taboose Creek/Campground is so crowded? I stopped by Taboose Creek on the opener and it was absolutely packed. I dont usually fish this creek because it is so small and in the valley. It gets too damn hot and the scenary isnt as nice compared to the higher elevation creeks. I did notice several Nevada license plates. Gooddale Creek is about a mile away and didn't have nearly the crowd.

Three reasons come to mind:

1. It's opener which attracts larger crowds
2. Although it used to be off the radar...several publications feature it every year now as a place to take your limit. The one published by the Bishop paper is distributed by the thousands during Mule Days alone.
3. I've seen references to it on several other fishing sites as a place to camp and fish. I know there are those who believe that is not a factor in crowding but I still believe it is.

Joshua
05-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Alpers for the opener??HMM> There was someone in every open section. I cant image anything would have made it through the weekend. Feel bad for the lil natives that got caught and thrown in the cooler only to be thrown in the trash.
It is a BLM campground. No water and pit toilets. I though maybe it was retired folks from Nevada using this as cheap lodging. I have had good success in the past. My last trip I caught equal numbers of snakes and trout. I lie, I caught more fish, but that places was loaded with snakes (garder snakes) I will be sure to take Taboose off my list of quik hitters for the opening weekend
It does provide easy access and there is a very small store in Aberdeen (in the mobile home park)

If I was going to camp in the Sierras Taboose is way down on my list.

Three reasons come to mind:

1. It's opener which attracts larger crowds
2. Although it used to be off the radar...several publications feature it every year now as a place to take your limit. The one published by the Bishop paper is distributed by the thousands during Mule Days alone.
3. I've seen references to it on several other fishing sites as a place to camp and fish. I know there are those who believe that is not a factor in crowding but I still believe it is.

STEVE IN SOCAL
05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
I drove thru there last wed and it was still packed...Goodale and Tinnemaha were ghost towns.

Joshua
05-18-2013, 08:51 PM
There was to be more to the story Maybe this is where the drug smugglers drop all the weed they grow in the local mountains. I just dont understand the appeal of Taboose creek. I think it is a great spot to hit on the way to somwhere else, But to camp there, I just dont comprehend.

hamdenst
06-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Used to camp at Taboose as a kid on trips with my uncle & cousins and grandparents. Always excellent fishing, not only in the campground but way north and back down south all the way to the Owens. Never recall it being too crowded. Drove by in late April to check out the campground since I hadn't been there in years and it was a ghost town. Water levels were low too...not sure why it's so crowded now.