PDA

View Full Version : wheres all the water????

chris273
05-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Where's all the water at in bishop looking real dry for memorial

Joshua
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
WOW, That looks bad. With the early spring I thought South Lake would be primed and ready to go for the Memorial Day weekend. Not good for our buddy at Parcher's Resort.

chris273
05-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I guess SCE has been doing work on the dam since late last year I guess they are holding up the water but not sure

gogreeenz4
05-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Holy cow!! i thought it would be a bad summer but not this bad.. Damn all the water wasters in so cal!!

knucklefish
05-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Holy cow!! i thought it would be a bad summer but not this bad.. Damn all the water wasters in so cal!!

is that first picure pvr? Receint photo? Wow

DEVOREFLYER
05-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Ya might want to look at the pics and report of Lake Sabrina here:

http://www.lakesabrinaboatlanding.com/this_week's_report/this_week's_report.html

chris273
05-08-2013, 12:34 PM
is that first picure pvr? Receint photo? Wow

The first pic is sabrina about a week & half ago behind the island looking towards the the dam

Eat Sleep Fish
05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
The first pic is actually South Lake. Don't know where you came across it...facebook perhaps? but yea, I took that pic.

Waters are super low in a lot of places along 395 this year, especially in the Bishop Creek Canyon mainly because of two horrible snow seasons back to back. These lakes will not hit full pool this year but once we get a steady pattern of warmer weather the snow runoff will get stronger and water will be on the rise. The snow pack behind South Lake is still ok so there should be plenty of water throughout the summer. Fishing is just stellar up there right now though!

Big Willy
05-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Pics seem a bit dramatic since the lake has been drained for work on the dam. its low around bishop but it will be coming up soon. I will be hiking the next 4 days all over the area and will report back.

chris273
05-08-2013, 07:37 PM
The first pic is actually South Lake. Don't know where you came across it...facebook perhaps? but yea, I took that pic.

Waters are super low in a lot of places along 395 this year, especially in the Bishop Creek Canyon mainly because of two horrible snow seasons back to back. These lakes will not hit full pool this year but once we get a steady pattern of warmer weather the snow runoff will get stronger and water will be on the rise. The snow pack behind South Lake is still ok so there should be plenty of water throughout the summer. Fishing is just stellar up there right now though!

Actually the first pic is sabrina behind the island looking towards the dam my buddy brad that lives up there sent me a few pics....maybe you took the pic & fowarded it to him?

Joshua
05-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Not sure how much warmer it needs to get, They were setting record temps over the opener. It was in the low 90s in Bishop On the hill it must have been mid 60s. Lows never got to freezing.

Eat Sleep Fish
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Actually the first pic is sabrina behind the island looking towards the dam my buddy brad that lives up there sent me a few pics....maybe you took the pic & fowarded it to him?

THE FIRST PIC IS SOUTH LAKE. I TOOK THE PICTURE! It's taken from one of the channels when the lake is full, looking towards Boiler Cove to the right and the dam of course. The first 3 pics are of South Lake, last one is Sabrina. Here's a link of my report to assure you that it IS indeed South Lake... https://www.facebook.com/andre.nersesian/posts/10151893324514552 Tight Lines!

Topwater Terry
05-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Yeah, I guess nobody wastes water in No Cal...this has nothing to do with wasting water, it has to do with work being done up that way, so the lakes are not being allowed to fill. And get used to this folks, lots of half empty reservoirs in our future with the light snowpacks that are becoming the norm...

Sierra_Smitty
05-12-2013, 11:35 AM
This is the 3rd time in 4 years that South Lake has been approximately at this level in May...it's not really that out of the ordinary. The most shocking thing for those of us who live here is that the lake isn't still frozen. It's kinda funny when people who usually visit in July or August come visit for opener or in May and think the sky is falling because the water is low. The reality is that the reservoirs are always low in the spring to make room for the runoff. This year is a bit more extreme due to the second poor winter in a row, but things should be good to go here in the next few weeks.

TroutOnly
05-12-2013, 11:53 AM
LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ALL THE WATER IS STILL SITTING UP ON THE MOUNTAINS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,

jimbo1
05-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I guess nobody wastes water in No Cal...this has nothing to do with wasting water, it has to do with work being done up that way, so the lakes are not being allowed to fill. And get used to this folks, lots of half empty reservoirs in our future with the light snowpacks that are becoming the norm...

All the water is down here in SoCal, Im using the water to hose down my driveway and refill my pool for the 3rd time this year. And Ive been using your NoCal water to wash my truck each week. Nothing is better than running my sprinklers for 30 min twice each day and seeing that green, green grass during June, July and August. In fact, I think I should go run the dish washer and clothes washer with half loads right now but first I need to turn off the showerthat I left on while I typed this post. NorCal is *Hella full of Water-Hoarders* God Bless W.M. Mullholland.... :LOL:

chris273
05-16-2013, 09:16 AM
That weird I've been going to bishop staying at browns town the last 2yrs this being my 3rd during memmorial mule days & have never seen south or sabrina with out this much water if it was like that I wouldn't have gone

QUOTE=Sierra_Smitty;673136]This is the 3rd time in 4 years that South Lake has been approximately at this level in May...it's not really that out of the ordinary. The most shocking thing for those of us who live here is that the lake isn't still frozen. It's kinda funny when people who usually visit in July or August come visit for opener or in May and think the sky is falling because the water is low. The reality is that the reservoirs are always low in the spring to make room for the runoff. This year is a bit more extreme due to the second poor winter in a row, but things should be good to go here in the next few weeks.[/QUOTE]

billy b
05-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Hey Smitty

which Slammers do you recommend ... worms + jigs + b & c's ???

Pann and I will be up your way near the end of summer ... maybe we can to a repeat performance?

Sierra_Smitty
05-16-2013, 08:56 PM
That weird I've been going to bishop staying at browns town the last 2yrs this being my 3rd during memmorial mule days & have never seen south or sabrina with out this much water if it was like that I wouldn't have gone

The end of April and the end of May are not the same. But if you'd like, email me at sierrasmitty@cebridge.net and I'd be happy to send you pictures of the lake, as low as it is now or close from 2010, 2011 and this year. As owner of South Lake Landing for 8 seasons, I have plenty of pictures.

I've only seen Sabrina this low 3 times in 8 seasons, but it was that low both of the 2 seasons prior to me moving here (in the spring). The point being, it's not terribly uncommon and nothing to freak out about.

Cheers,
Smitty