PDA

View Full Version : CORONADO ISLANDS 9-11

jonee523
09-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey all,

Its been awhile since I reported about fishing but here we go. I hit up the islands today on the San Diego out of Seaforth in mission bay. Get to the landing about 500am with my buddie Justin and get ready to go yellow hunting. Everything is going fine, we load get some really nice dines and head out. After clearing the bay and heading to the islands the condictions are ugly a bad swell with the occasional larger one to make the ride a bit bumpy. We get to the island about 830 and start to look for fish. Well we find them in the form of bonies and barries. our first 2 stops were all bonie with the first yellow over the rail for some lucky guy. After scratch fishing for the 3b's, we are off again to the kelp forest just south. This was nice as the kelp broke up the swell and made for a more comfortable ride. The skipper pulled out all the stops to put us on fish by the way. here we found all 3b's with a few monster bonies 7-8lbs. We worked the kelp for about 2 hours then it time to move to the best stop of the day. We go to the north island and find the yellows. We hit up a spot that as soon as he starts to circle bam fish on for a guy throwing iron. After that its crazy everyone trying to get there line out etc (myself included). After missing 2 fish, I was feeling like a total newbie. Finally the fish gods decided to smile on me and I'm hooked up. This fish feels really good to me I'm hoping for a 10lb fish. Well to my suprise this is a close to 18lbs. This is my PB for the season so far. Well I get this fish in, rebait and thats all she wrote. I remember only 1 other yellow coming over the rail after that. Once this stop died out the skipper wanted to try 1 other place but nobody home. So it was now time to head home and jackpot was called. I was figuring the guy who caught the 23-24lb fish had it. Come to find out he didn't enter the pot. So I pull my fish out and the deckhand scales it. 4-5 guys brought out there fish but again the fish gods were smiling at me Jackpot yeah. What really makes this trip special is I was breaking in a new combo Avet SX6/4 with a custom 700L Calstar. They are even better matched than I had hoped for. Anyway sorry there are no pics.

Tight lines,

Jon

jonee523

ghetto dad
09-11-2007, 09:21 PM
GREAT job bro!! Hey, that SX 2 speed, what line you fishing on that???? 20?????

Baseballer44
09-12-2007, 12:37 AM
thats awesome dude, im so jealous! gotta bring your camera next time, so we can all live vicariously through you! good job :D

zZaNg
09-12-2007, 04:10 AM
great job on the trip and the jack pot. by the way, how much was in the pot?

sansou
09-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Congrats on the JP !!!

...I also dig your fishing combo. Very nice!

jonee523
09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the cudo's all. As for the camera I will bring it next time for sure. The jackpot was $110 of which I tipped the crew $60 of it. They really deserved it too.....

The Avet SX6/4 is loaded with 20lb hybrid line. The line is alittle thick but being flouro coated it was ok. What was relly nice is that reel is so smooth. When the fish hit it easily handled with the drag being super smooth. Using the 2 speed was really simple, press the button and just winch the fish up (not kidding). When the yellow started to circle it was just wind pump wind some more.....gaff. I love it.

Jon

ghetto dad
09-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the cudo's all. As for the camera I will bring it next time for sure. The jackpot was $110 of which I tipped the crew $60 of it. They really deserved it too.....

The Avet SX6/4 is loaded with 20lb hybrid line. The line is alittle thick but being flouro coated it was ok. What was relly nice is that reel is so smooth. When the fish hit it easily handled with the drag being super smooth. Using the 2 speed was really simple, press the button and just winch the fish up (not kidding). When the yellow started to circle it was just wind pump wind some more.....gaff. I love it.

Jon

great job man....i was thinking about picking my up an sx 2 speed...i have the sx single, the mx single, the jx single, and the jx 2 speed....i may sell the mx to help purchase the sx two speed

jonee523
09-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Ghetto dad,

Dude I know what you mean. I'm getting ready to sell some of my stuff to do the same thing. I have the MX 6/4 in my sights now......
Best of luck to you.

Tight lines,

Jon

JapanRon
09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi jones523,

Good job on fishy, JP, and report.

Thanks for taking me along! ...... well net-wise anyway! :lol: :lol:

JapanRon