PDA

View Full Version : How to keep worms alive longer?

fishermanx14
05-06-2013, 06:26 PM
All too often i find my self buying night crawlers and not even using them, and then the go bad in about a week later. Then I end up buying new ones only for the same situation to play out again.....I heard that you can take paper shreds and lay them on top of they dirt and spray it with a little water and the will eat/decompose it and it will keep them alive longer....i have also heard of potato skins and a bunch of other stuff. Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

Thanks,
Christian

City Dad
05-06-2013, 07:24 PM
We've kept crawlers and red wigglers alive in a big plastic flower bucket for months. Filled it with a mixture of yard dirt and some left-over potting soil. Kept damp and out of the sun they did well and the red wigglers actually started to reproduce. Fed' em used coffee grounds. When it came time to go fishing we'd just dump the pot out on an old plastic tarp, pick out a dozen or so and them dump the rest back in.

Jess
05-06-2013, 07:28 PM
I feed them coffee very little like one time a week, any fruit that's going bad you can feed them but not to often, and no garlic or game over.

DMS
05-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Put them in the fridge and keep moist. Make sure you keep them cool while fishing. They can die in one hot day. Prob best in a cooler while fishing then to fridge at home.

Cartman
05-06-2013, 08:11 PM
We've kept crawlers and red wigglers alive in a big plastic flower bucket for months. Filled it with a mixture of yard dirt and some left-over potting soil. Kept damp and out of the sun they did well and the red wigglers actually started to reproduce. Fed' em used coffee grounds. When it came time to go fishing we'd just dump the pot out on an old plastic tarp, pick out a dozen or so and them dump the rest back in.

I know this works with the red wigglers. I grow my own red wigglers and never worry about how to keep them alive longer...I always have more than I can use. But I have never heard of raising night crawlers. Have you really kept crawlers along with red wigglers alive for months in potting soil? They are two very different kinds of worms.

LuckyBasser
05-06-2013, 08:32 PM
I've kept them alive for several months by just leaving them I'm my refrigerator, nothing special just left em alone.

Perris_holic
05-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Do you guys use the red wigglers for trout and bluegills? Where do you guys buy them at if you were to start your own worm farm?

City Dad
05-08-2013, 01:09 PM
I know this works with the red wigglers. I grow my own red wigglers and never worry about how to keep them alive longer...I always have more than I can use. But I have never heard of raising night crawlers. Have you really kept crawlers along with red wigglers alive for months in potting soil? They are two very different kinds of worms.

Yep. The crawlers didn't seem to reproduce, but they lived quite a while - in fact, we were re-platting some potted plants recently and came across live crawlers that had been in there when we put plants back in the pots.