PDA

View Full Version : May the 4th be with you....

DMS
05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
After a long week of work dreaming of another slay, Lulu and I got out on Saturday again. While readying for launch, I meet Cutbait and say hello, exchange some fish talk and look at the great job he did fixing up his boat. Nice guy and his dad was great too chatting with him for a moment. I knew we were in trouble with the lake lice when I saw two rigs of jet skiers actually sleeping in the back of their pickup truck in line. After the line got started I had to chuckle with the walk of shame when the first jet ski rig in line was rejected back for quagga inspection. His buddy must have been banded but I corrected guess that they didn't launch at 6:30 with the fishers.

Quickly launched and opted to pass on a trolling pass and headed for the usual area. Set up a bit off of my target, but close enough. It was dead calm, quiet and not so many folks around at first. After a bit we got bit on the one rod I rigged differently than usual. then again and on the third fish, he managed to get into the anchor rope, which I'm usually able to cover pretty easy, but this time he was deep and down under the boat... anyway, before I could rebait, another rod takes off. Three fish in the boat. then we pick a couple kitty cats and it goes quiet and the meters look barren. As usual, I start getting itchy and am convinced I need a slight reposition. Slid over just a bit and catch a couple dinks. We ended up with a great day on dinks as I think we tossed back about 8 of them throughout the day.

Just as we are getting ready for a good round of new customers, the wind comes up out of nowhere and pushes our rear anchor off its spot and a rod goes... nice fish on... as we are swinging around another rod goes. I have lulu put down the net and take a rod and we have two more in the boat. Still swinging way away from our preferred location. the wind is pounding us and the lice start up. I guess they were trying to get out of the wind. I start getting pretty unhappy about the way we are positioned at an angle between the fierce wind and the wakes of the inconsiderate a-holes that are waking us as they drive over our lines. I pick up another fish there and then have to do something as the wind is really making everything bad. Unfortunately, I have now hung my rear anchor and the long scope on my bow anchor will make it impossible to pull that first. I use the motor to swing around and get my rear anchor free and pull the bow anchor. Now I have to figure out if I fish where I want to or where the wind is not quite as bad. I balance them out an pull around a bit for a bit of shelter and lay the bow into the wind for a fishable set. We hand out there for a while for 2 more stripers and most of the dinks. DK4885 (I think that was what he said) from here came by and recognized me from my reports and asked to set up over from me, which was very cool so I pointed out my anchors and he sets up and was catching a few there. He seemed even more out of the wind than me!

We also ran into BassFan, and commiserated on the lice and the wind and the relatively slow day. I was frankly stunned at the swarms of jetskiers and party boaters. Sheer numbers, noise, running back and forth, waking us guys quietly fishing off in our corner of the lake. I even yelled at one that came so close an over my lines and he said "I don't see your floats". I guess he thinks you have to have a bobber to fish. Castaic's fish arm is sounding better and better. Finally, I had enough and we had 8 nice stripers and 2 catfish. We trolled a bit on the way out and then to face the wind and run the gauntlet of crazy jetskiers and speed boats running mindless circles in the lake to get back to the dock. We made it back to the marina and tried one trolling lap for nada, but my engine picked up a rather large plastic bag that tried to fry my rig. With the wind, I just had to get back to the dock to pull it all out from the prop.

Once at the dock, after hearing a voice of authority from afar yelling at the jetskiers, "this is not a playground, either pull out or go out to the lake". I saw a couple guys trying to launch a 25' boat. He first almost took out the dock backing down then got the trailer down. I was patiently watching and waiting for him to get out of the way so I could walk my rig out. Then he couldn't get his boat off the trailer, so he put on his chest waders. His problem was his chain and bow winch were still hooked. I then gave them a few tips after asking if they were trying to launch or pull out. (I couldn't tell) They apologized and said it was their first time out. I imagined that I would never have the courage to start my boating career in that huge, powerful rig. I told them it was really, really windy (it was also almost 2 pm). they said they would be OK. I helped them tie up (without bumpers) and it took them about 20 minutes to park their rig. They asked me if they should back out to get into the lake. I suggested a route and again suggested they be careful. No wonder that there are boating accidents out there. At least those guys were decent as they were trying and apologized for blocking the way for so long.

So, I had my rig ready to go and out of the water in less than 5 minutes.

Nice day overall, despite the wind and the lice. Met a couple nice FNN'ers for the first time. I filleted 4 stripers and 2 catfish... One for the neighbor, one for Lulu's piano teacher, 2 for the party Lulu organized for tonight and froze the kitties. We gave away the heads and the other four to friends including an amazing Chinese feast at a friends place. The steamed striper in the center was just amazing, but I focused on the duck, the port, the wraps, the potstickers, the chicken and the Chinese style ribs. Another wonderful day in paradise for us!

No lake photos, but a pre-butcher shot... kitties up in the top. I didn't lose one of my 8! :Big Grin:

DMS

cutbait
05-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Ah a cheap shot huh?

I can't explain what happened?

I saw you vehemently wave off the pontoon boat.. you were an unhappy camper for sure.

I saw a lot a very overwieght man and his family in a very nice boat waking like a mofo in the marina blast in music and the sheriff loud speaker him 5.... count 5 times to slow down.. sheriff had to cut him off to pay attention. I was idling in to trailer and he still overcame me with like 15 feet between the dock and the green carp. He throttled to stop but I saw what he did wrong.. he has independent levers for shifting and throttle.. he pulled back the throttle all the way thinking he was going to be a badass and pull a stoppy at the dock..

But he didn't grab the shifter also and hit the dock at a good 7 mph... f end up his boat

Good meeting ya guys

DMS
05-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Wow... Sheriff still didn't give him a citation? I try to be patient and realize that most folks don't mean any harm and don't realize that waking anchored boats fishing in a cove is worse than farting loudly in church. I will have to go more during the week once I get my vacation hours back up. It was cool when I was self employed to go when I wanted.
That pontoon was too much and those boats were scaring lulu with wakes.
By the way it is cool you are fishing with dad and sons. My dad got me hooked at a young age and we lost him 32 years ago. He was 43 and I was 18. I don't have a son and my daughter isn't so much interested....
But I have lulu! I catch one for dad every time. He taught me manners and tobe a part of what is going on out there.

Can't wait for next time.

flyhigh123
05-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Glad to read such a great report! I was planning on going today, but the winds looked like it would be a terrible day, so no fishing this week. Now waiting for the weekdays to pass until the next weekend :D